556 messages over 70 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 69 70 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 73 of 556
05 December 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
corjine wrote:
Via Diva wrote:
Hey, we want our guardian angel for Team ONE too :)

I can help the English learners, as I'm a native English speaker. :)
Great!
How well do you know the grammar of your native language? There are no requirements, no worries :) If needed, Team ONE can also count on me to explain the various rules and grammar peculiarities :)))
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 74 of 556
05 December 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Or on me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 75 of 556
05 December 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:

Edit: So, just an informal headcount for Team Dutch: NMW, Serpent, fabriciocarraro, and
myself have all
expressed interest. I think geoffw is figuring out his plans. I've also sent out PMs to
all the other Dutch learners
who've updated their logs recently.

(Julie - I tried to PM you, but I got a message saying your inbox is full. Thoughts?)

Yeah, you can go ahead and count me among those who have expressed interest. At this
point I'm committed to doing at least some work with German, Dutch and French. I
certainly expect to do something with other languages too over the course of the year,
but there aren't any others I'm willing to say I'll be looking at all year.

As for current levels, they're extremely unbalanced because of my input-heavy / little-
or-no speaking situation. I'll maybe discuss more in my log after the new year, but for
now, I'll just give rough minimum estimates for both receptive and productive skills.

Receptive:

German - C1
Dutch - B2
French - B1 (B2 reading)

Productive:

German - B2
Dutch - A2
French - A2
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 76 of 556
05 December 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Yeah, you can go ahead and count me among those who have expressed interest. At this point I'm
committed to doing at least some work with German, Dutch and French.

As for current levels, they're extremely unbalanced because of my input-heavy / little-or-no speaking situation.

Yay Geoffw! And we'll have Dutch and French in common this year, that'll be fun. :-)

No worries about unbalanced passive-active skills, I think that anybody who's working with the language should be
welcome.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 77 of 556
05 December 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
I read a few of the threads and, sad to admit, I'm still not entirely sure what this thing is. I take it the goal is to do something in a year, but I'm not sure what. Learn as much possible? Starting from scratch, or from any knowledge level? And we do this on teams? Are there winners? How do we decide?

No worries, it was the same for me when I heard of TAC 2 years ago. It's basically just a challenge to keep studying your target language throughout the year and write a log in this section of the forum about it. Apart from that, most people set a specific goal for themselves (be able to have a basic conversation, or often reaching a certain CEFR level). Then we all form teams for people with the same or similar languages and try to motivate each other throughout the year. Some teams set small challenges for all their members, some occasionally have Skype meetings, but this is up to each team to decide and organise. At the end of the year we have an informal vote which team we were most impressed with, but basically everyone who perseveres throughout the year is a winner.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 556
05 December 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Irish (Team Lugus again?) and Dutch for me.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 79 of 556
05 December 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm soldiering on with *jäŋe/*ledús (at least 1 Balto-Slavonic or Uralic language) and subject to enough interest am OK with retaining Kofola (at least one of Czech or Slovak) and Yürükler (Turkish) for another year. Because I also expect to continue working on Polish, I see no reason to cut myself off from Żubr either.

I would however be interested in teams for each of Finnish and Ukrainian only on the model of the emerging Dutch team or current Мир for Russian, but *jäŋe/*ledús could serve that purpose anyway if there isn't enough interest to form these specialized teams.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 80 of 556
05 December 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Irish (Team Lugus again?) and Dutch for me.
That's great to hear! Our team will
surely benefit from your experience. :-)

So, another update on those who have expressed interest in Team Dutch: NMW, Serpent, fabriciocarraro, geoffw,
jeff_lindqvist, myself

Guardian angel: Tarvos

Seems like enough for a team to me, especially if any of the people I've PMed get back to me as well. Thoughts
on a team name?

Edited by Hekje on 05 December 2013 at 5:53pm

This discussion contains 556 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version