Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
556 messages over 70 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 69 70 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 97 of 556
05 December 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
druckfehler wrote:
If-by miracle-there's a dedicated Persian team or even one for Iranian languages (Kurdish, Pahsto, anyone?) I'd love to join that. Maybe also a rare languages team, it depends on what everyone else would be studying.

I'd also love to join such a team if one is created. Persian is my number one priority language this year, aside from Mandarin (which I study at university), and I'd be interested in learning about other Iranian languages if there is anyone who studies them.

Great to see that you're back and not giving up on Persian! If no other Persian/Kurdish/Pashto/... enthusiasts show up, would you be interested in doing a Persian tandem? I'm serious about studying it this year and would love to have someone on HTLAL to share the journey with for added motivation :)

Yes, that would be great! I'd really like to make 2014 the year I finally get a strong handle on this language.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4308 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 98 of 556
06 December 2013 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
I'll join with Spoken Continental Scandinavian (which is a dialect continuum
after all) and want to be part of a Scandinavian team.
Starting off with about B2 average in Norwegian and Danish and maybe B1 passive/A2
active in Swedish (very rough estimate), I'd like to reach the stage of inter-
Scandinavian conversational skills at B2 and beyond.

Edited by daegga on 06 December 2013 at 12:10am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 99 of 556
06 December 2013 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
There is the Iberia idea going on. Sounds awesome. However, won't it be a bit crowded?
Do you mean the team or the length of the name? Iberia is just a working title and refers more to the origins, as many learners are more interested in Latin America and they should not be excluded. We need to find something relatively neutral :)

I mean the team. Last year, some teams were closed for being already full and therefore some people had to make "team 2" which I am not sure is the best solution when there are more. Spanish is one of the most popular languages and most learners take it as their second or more language, so they don't qualify for STARt (I love that name btw). Portuguese is among the quite popular names as well. Perhaps, when we have the "nearly final" numbers, we may see as much as twenty or thirty people wishing to go for either one or both in a team. Wouldn't it be too much?

I seriously doubt it will be that much. I mean if we actually ask for preferences between Spanish, Team STARt and Iberia.
I think by now there are about three people who listed Portuguese. I don't think a tugateam is possible :/

Anyway, there are a lot of Americans learning Spanish. Also, "the first after English" applies to many Europeans. English is obviously a special case.

Edited by Serpent on 06 December 2013 at 12:37am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 100 of 556
06 December 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
I'll concentrate most of my language study time to Mandarin, although I'll also continue to study German, and Catalan and Italian may receive some attention.

Mandarin level: more than 1/3 of Méthode 90 completed.

Goals: Finish Méthode 90 before the end of july 2014, continue with Boya. By the end of 2014 I hope to know 1500 characters (receptive).

Besides those two textbooks, I'll continue to read graded readers, study grammar books and other stuff alongside.

I'd like to join a Mandarin-only team.

Edited by Flarioca on 06 December 2013 at 2:14am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 101 of 556
06 December 2013 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Evita wrote:
druckfehler already posted that she's in even though Korean won't be the
main focus language for her. As for me, I'm definitely in. Korean will be my main
focus language, my current level is somewhere between A2 and B1 probably. I'd also like
to be on the German team. My current level is B2-C1 and I'd like to improve it.

Good! Anyone else for Korean?

I am studying Korean as well, although it is not my priority. I'll probably follow your logs if there is a Korean team. :)

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3794 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 102 of 556
06 December 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
I have been lurking for months, but would like to join in the TAC if possible with French and Spanish.

French -- currently solid A2. I would like to be a B2 in passive skills, and a solid B1 in all other skills.

Spanish - A0 skills. I had Spanish in elementary school and I grew up on the border of the US and Mexico,
and have travelled in Mexico, and Central America, so I am not starting completely from nothing. I would like
to be A2 by the end of the year.

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4156 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 103 of 556
06 December 2013 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Here are my languages for 2014:

German: Pretty confident I have upper B-level ability all-around--some days better than others. I would like to improve to C-level in all areas (reading, writing, listening, speaking). I really regret not joining the German team last year, so I would like to join it this year if possible.

Polish: At the moment I would estimate A2, sometimes possibly pushing B1 (in receptive skills at least). I want to solidify my Polish and be able to use it automatically. I was on the Polish team last year and would like to continue if we can get enough members. Now that I have some independence in Polish, I have much clearer goals in how to focus.

Ukrainian: Just barely starting, hoping to get an A2 by the end of 2014. Wouldn't mind a separate team if there were enough interest.

Afrikaans: Same as Ukrainian essentially, although I will primarily keep that as a passive language instead of an active one.    

I'm essentially doing Germanic and Slavic languages for the year.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4426 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 104 of 556
06 December 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
In that case, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse...

Sign me up for the Greek team's Godmother. We'll discuss the price later :)

I certainly cannot refuse that offer!

Please sign me up for the Greek team.

Please also sign me up for Russian, I'll decide later whether to apply to join a team or do it on an individual basis as this year.

Edit: I forgot to mention what my goals are: For Russian, get to a strong B1 level by the end of the year, if possible beyond. For Greek, at least a solid A1.

As for starting on other languages, there are a couple of them that are tempting me, but for the time being I have enough on my plate with my goals for Russian and Greek.

Edited by Ogrim on 06 December 2013 at 2:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 556 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version