Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3932 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 353 of 556
14 December 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Japanese - currently a solid jlpt n3, aiming for a high n2, low n1.
Mandarin - never studied before, planning on starting classes as soon as my Japanese classes end in
June as they won't give a higher class of Japanese next year. Probably a high A2.
Lithuanian - never studied before, starting with the 6 week challenge and plan to keep it up weekly.
Aiming for a high A2.

I'm mainly going to focus on Japanese, while taking the others on the side as I find it hard to keep my
focus on one thing. I'll continue my dabbling in Korean but won't do any serious study for it.

Edited by nandemonai on 15 December 2013 at 7:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 354 of 556
14 December 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
ennime wrote:
So for team Iberia we have
suzukaze
ennime
espejismo
mick33
garyb
Pointsdotslines
nj24
Othar
Silbermond
Warp3
kanewai
Starcrazyangel

Those are all those who indicated who would do Portuguese of Spanish. I hope I haven't
forgotten
anyone.Te only thing is that we haven't got a team leader yet...

Hmm...I wasn't really planning to join a Spanish team, but after seeing myself listed here
it occurred to me that perhaps that's just what I need to keep my Spanish going this year
(rather than dying off again). So...why not? I'm in!

On second thought, I'm going to join the Spanish Team instead of Team Iberia since
Spanish is the only Iberian language that really interests me currently (plus the team
leader for the Spanish team is also on the other team (Korean) that I've already joined).

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4422 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 355 of 556
14 December 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
suzukaze
ennime
espejismo
mick33
garyb
Pointsdotslines
nj24
Othar
Silbermond
Warp3
kanewai
Starcrazyangel

Is it the intention of the Iberian team to be exclusive to Iberian Spanish?

If that's the case, it would probably be better for me to join the Spanish team rather than team Iberia as I am not
really studying Iberian Spanish. I watch TV series from Spain and read books translated into Iberian Spanish, but
when I'm writing or reading, I don't use vosotros, and I try to avoid using slang/vocabulary unique to Iberian
Spanish. And my Spanish friends are from South America. :)

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5663 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 356 of 556
14 December 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
nj24 wrote:
ennime wrote:
suzukaze
ennime
espejismo
mick33
garyb
Pointsdotslines
nj24
Othar
Silbermond
Warp3
kanewai
Starcrazyangel

If that's the case, it would probably be better for me to join the Spanish team rather than team Iberia as I
am not
really studying Iberian Spanish. I watch TV series from Spain and read books translated into Iberian
Spanish, but
when I'm writing or reading, I don't use vosotros, and I try to avoid using slang/vocabulary unique to
Iberian

Perhaps "Iberia" isn't really a good reflection of the team, it includes also Brazilian Portuguese and
Papiamento; different variations of Spanish surely ae welcome as well. Perhaps it's best to say that team
Iberia is for those languages that have a clear link and/or originate from the peninsula.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4810 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 357 of 556
14 December 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
nj24 wrote:

If that's the case, it would probably be better for me to join the Spanish team rather than team Iberia as I am not
really studying Iberian Spanish. I watch TV series from Spain and read books translated into Iberian Spanish, but
when I'm writing or reading, I don't use vosotros, and I try to avoid using slang/vocabulary unique to Iberian

"Team Iberia" is a provisional name. The team encompasses all varieties of Spanish, Portuguese, and closely related languages. I've volunteered to be its leader, and I'm primarily interested in Mexican Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4422 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 358 of 556
14 December 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for clearing that up! (although this now makes it harder to choose which team to join) :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 359 of 556
14 December 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
No, it's not limited to the Iberian varieties! I don't know if other people have specific preferences, but that's certainly not the intention. Our team is a bit small to begin with, and if we excluded South American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese it would die :D

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 360 of 556
14 December 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
Perhaps "Iberia" isn't really a good reflection of the team, it includes also Brazilian Portuguese and Papiamento; different variations of Spanish surely ae welcome as well. Perhaps it's best to say that team Iberia is for those languages that have a clear link and/or originate from the peninsula.
As espejismo said, it's just the working title. You are very welcome to post some ideas for the name in the team thread :)

This discussion contains 556 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version