Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Persian, Kurdish, Pashto-anyone studying?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 26
04 December 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm just curious if there are currently any forum members who are actively studying one of the above languages. I'm asking partly with TAC 2014 in mind (Iranian language family team?), but am also simply curious how much interest in those languages exists on HTLAL at the moment.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6903 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 2 of 26
04 December 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I have an interest in several Iranian languages, ranging from fairly intense (Kurmanji Kurdish - probably high intermediate level) through occasional dabbling (Persian - advanced beginner) to simply collecting materials and intending "someday" to settle down to serious study (Pashto, Sorani Kurdish, Zaza).

When I lived earlier in Turkey and in Germany, I used Kurdish quite a bit, and Persian rarely, but now, living in the midwestern US, I have little to no opportunity to speak them, and so largely rely on occasional bouts of study from books or the internet. (I actually do a fair amount of reading in Kurmanji, and also watch internet TV broadcasts in it every now and then.)

In case you're interested in Kurdish, here's a post on materials I wrote quite a while ago; most of the resources cited are still useful and available either via bookstores or online. (PM me if you should have any questions.)

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=5256&K

Edited by daristani on 05 December 2013 at 7:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4987 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 3 of 26
04 December 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I've always wanted to learn Pashto, but that's conditional on finding someone who's also interested.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 4 of 26
05 December 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
It's great to see that others with an interest in the Iranian language family are around, even if far and few between!

daristani, you're the number one poster on HTLAL when it comes to finding useful resources for Persian! :) I have a Kurdish friend (I believe he speaks Sorani) and it was great to see that I could understand a few words that are similar in Persian.

Would both or either of you be interested in joining the TAC 2014? So far, ellasevia and I are intending to study Persian for the challenge and would be happy if we could get together an Iranian language family team. We'll see if we can find some more people for Kurdish and Pashto or even other Iranian languages as well.

daristani
United States
Joined 6903 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 5 of 26
05 December 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks much for the kind words, druckfehler. I confess that my acquisition of materials for various languages far outstrips my actual accomplishments in using those materials to learn the languages in question.

Re Iranian languages, I was always interested in learning Persian, and always liked the Iranians I met, but the political difficulties between Iran and the US following the Iranian revolution pretty much made it impossible to visit Iran, and so while I continued to collect Persian materials and study the language on occasion, I kept putting off studying it in a "serious" way until possibilities of traveling or even living there arose -- which never eventuated.

Later, I got interested in Kurdish, when it was still illegal in Turkey, but that little complication only spurred me on, and so I really worked at it, and hung around with Kurds a lot, and finally learned it fairly well.

I then thought that I might sometime go back to university and devote myself to Iranian and Turkic languages, and so I picked up whatever Pashto materials I came across. I had no desire to visit a country in the midst of a civil war or military occupation, though, and so never made much use of the stuff I'd collected.

But if a group is going to be formed, I'd be interested in participating, probably for Pashto, since I really don't know it at all. There are more materials for it available now than in the past, and I have most of them, except for the very newest. (These latter include the two-volume textbook produced by Indiana University and published by Georgetown University, and the textbook in French published by L'Asiatheque; both of these have accompanying audio.)

Personally, I think I would be inclined to start with "Speaking Afghan Pashto" by Olson and Rashid, since that has short lessons and a grammatical approach, supplemented by Pimsleur.   

In any event, I'll be interested in watching to see how the group shapes up, and will try to be helpful if I can re other languages as well.

Edited by daristani on 05 December 2013 at 3:28pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 26
05 December 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I've thought of doing Persian in the future, but not during the TAC 2014. So many languages, so little time..

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 7 of 26
05 December 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
So true... it's still good to read that there is interest in the languages, sometimes it seems that the forum is mostly divided between people who are into European languages and East Asian languages.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4987 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 8 of 26
05 December 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler,

I'd be up for joining the Persian team.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version