Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Persian, Kurdish, Pashto-anyone studying?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5846 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 17 of 26
07 December 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
@ druckfehler:

I wrote a few days ago that our Middle Eastern group didn't work out this year. Then I saw your comment on the same subject. A group based on such a mix (plus French!) didn't stand much of a chance from the beginning, in my opinion.

This year, I'll still be entering with Arabic, and I'll also add Sanskrit. I made a playful comment on how an Indo-Aryan group could be formed, or even an Indo-Iranian one.

It was just a nice idea, of course. I can think of at least a half dozen languages to go along with Sanskrit better than Persian.

Having said all that, I think I'll follow you guys closely. And I wish you the best of luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5193 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 18 of 26
08 December 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
I've been flirting with Persian for some years and finished Assimil Persian in August but haven't done anything since apart from some listening to Persian radio.

I don't intend to participate in the TAC 2014 (knowing too well that I'll surely drop out after a couple of months) but I will follow a Persian team with great interest.

Edited by akkadboy on 08 December 2013 at 12:03am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 19 of 26
08 December 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
akkadboy wrote:
I've been flirting with Persian for some years and finished Assimil Persian in August but haven't done anything since apart from some listening to Persian radio.

I got about halfway through Assimil Persian a couple years ago, and was planning on revisiting the course again this year. How do feel about your level in the language after having completed it?

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5193 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 20 of 26
08 December 2013 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
It is a bit weird actually. On the one hand, I really enjoyed the course, which I find very well graded (except that there's too much vocab in the last 20 lessons). On the other hand, I was a bit disappointed by the level I reached after completing it.

I can understand lots of things on the radio but not enough to get more than the gist of what is being said and the odd sentence here and there. Of course I may be the one to blame here rather than the course, because I used it as my only ressource which is of course not a great thing to do.

I also intended to revisit it in a thorough way, and surely I forgot a lot since this summer.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5517 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 21 of 26
08 December 2013 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
I'm not going to be doing TAC, but if people form a Sanskrit team I'll happily cheer you on and answer
questioms if I can, since I've been studying for a few years.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 22 of 26
09 December 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
It's great to read all your feedback! I thought Persian, Kurdish and Pashto were pretty much nonexistent on HTLAL these days, so it's great to see so much interest after all!

@Élan: Do you know the free DLI Dari course? It looks like a very good reasource! If you do decide to join TAC, I'm sure ellasevia and I would be delighted ;)

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5689 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 23 of 26
10 December 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Recently, I've made a bet with aa friend from Iran: two bottles of wine if I can manage basic Farsi
conversation when we meet again. The problem is that neither of us know when that we'll be; both of us
work for NGOs and usually meet at conferences and the like.

While I'm not really a wine drinker, I am eager to win this bet, hence my sudden interest in this language
family. I've downloaded some apps but couldn't find anything really good in the Google play store.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 24 of 26
11 December 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
@ennime Try the Chai and Conversation podcasts available on iTunes (or their website, just google the name). They teach you basic conversational topics (your name, family, where you are from, what you like and dislike...) in the right language register. Maybe that will do the trick!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version