Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 13
04 December 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I use Anki for all my languages, so over time I created some scripts that will let me do
useful stuff like automatically add example sentences (and their translations) or add
matching sound files from Forvo to all my cards. This also works for any other program
that can import tab-separated data.

If you would like to use these scripts as well, find them at
http://github.com/Sprachprofi/anki_utils

Note that at this point, these scripts require you to have lang.org">Ruby installed on your system - if you have Mac or Linux, it might come
pre-installed, otherwise you'll have to install it.
7 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 13
05 December 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Fixed Ruby link:
http://www.ruby-lang.org
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4473 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 13
05 December 2013 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing! There are so many things that can be done at the top of Anki.
I suppose you're using Ruby because you're more familiar with it, but have you considered using Python for these scripts? They would have the advantage to easily become plug-ins, which would make them easier to use... (I say that but have never actually bothered creating a plug-in for it)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 13
05 December 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
I don't know Python. Maybe someone wants to convert them into an Anki plugin. Anyway
these scripts started as personal ones so I didn't ask myself the question which language
would be best ;-) Just sharing them because someone requested.

twopossums
United States
Joined 4152 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 13
06 December 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for the mention of Forvo. I've been looking for a site like this where I could download sound files of words to add to Anki.

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 13
06 December 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Indeed, thanks for mentioning Forvo. To both Sprachprofi and twopossums.

For some reason, I thought Forvo was just another site selling dictionaries. Didn't realize what the site was until twopossums pointed it out.

I've been looking for a site for audio files for words that I could use too.
Pity it doesn't also have definitions for those words. But pronounciations are very useful too.

And thanks for posting your code, Sprachprofi.
If I ever get to making a plugin for Anki for myself, I might "rip off" your Ruby code into Python for Forvo right out of it (or at least look at what you did and use it as a model).

pab
Diglot
Poland
Joined 3991 days ago

8 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French

Message 7 of 13
29 December 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what to do with these files that Sprachprofi
shared.
Firstly, I downloaded them, then I installed Ruby 1.9.3-p484. Now I try to open one of
.rb files (e.g double click file add_sample_sentences.rb). A window pops up for a second
and then disappears. I feel like an illiterate 'noob' :) Would really appreciate any
help.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4812 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 8 of 13
30 December 2013 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
I don't use Anki a lot - however early this year (2013) I built a deck from the book2.de data. I did it puting the data in a gnumeric spreadsheet. It will work with most if not all spreadsheets, openoffice - lotus (does it still exist ?), ...

The big work was to create the audio files. If I remember correctly each of my cards contained 3 sentences.

The first column contains a sentence, the second a link to the mp3 file, you could put a column with a translation, another with an explanation, a link to a jpg file,...

Then you have the result column where you put a formula to concatenate at least 2 colomns separated by a comma.

Copy the values in the result column into a txt files you can import into Anki.

You can either put your audio files in the Anki media directory or put the path to your files directory.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version