Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 41 of 55
26 May 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I pretty much stopped studying in mid-April. Now I'm just focusing on Korean again. I'm not sure whether I will take up Persian again. I broke up with my Iranian boyfriend, so my main goal for the language is gone and I need a break from it, anyway. Learning the language of your partner is a great opportunity, but the possibility of a breakup is definitely a weak point of the method ;)

I did finish step 1 of my study plan and was planning to continue with a different textbook. Maybe I will, later. For now I'm happy to have more time for Korean again. While studying 2 languages at the same time was a good experience, I feel like it does take away some of the momentum in one or either of them...

How are your Farsi studies going?

Here's an overview of how far I got with my Farsi studies this time:

druckfehler wrote:
Study Plan: Step 1

Chai and Conversation until lesson 20

Assimil: Le Persan Sans Peine until lesson 21
Update I decided to study up to L28 for Step 1, after that the difficulty increases

Conversation with Reza

Edited by druckfehler on 28 May 2014 at 6:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jamesleecoleman
United States
Joined 4268 days ago

38 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Russian, Persian

Message 42 of 55
27 May 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Farsi is going very slow because it's difficult to get someone to help me with Farsi. The girl that I practice with is usually busy studying but she should be done really soon.

I'm trying to get into the A2 level but that will take some time because I'm focusing on Russian.

Hopefully you'll have another reasons to continue with Farsi later on.

Thanks for asking :)
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3828 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 43 of 55
03 June 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Hi, how are you?
I'm also completely stuck with Persian... :)
I'm dedicating all my energies to the Germanic family and french because I have more
immediate returns from these languages... Persian is and will always stay one of the most
charming languages but I noticed requires something more than the other languages I'm
studying right now (namely Dutch, German, Norwegian and for these 40 days before my
travel in Iceland also Icelandic).

But I didn't drop Farsi. It is only on hold let say :)
It is just overwhelming having to do with so many languages...

jamesleecoleman
United States
Joined 4268 days ago

38 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Russian, Persian

Message 44 of 55
08 June 2014 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Hopefully the Farsi isn't on hold for too long. I don't want you to forget things.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 45 of 55
28 December 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm back!

I've decided to revive Persian for TAC 2015 as my not-so-serious second study language. Over the years I've made several attempt at studying Persian - I got a little further each time, but I also keep forgetting a lot of things. I'm now calling this project Stop and Go Persian - it may not be the most economical study roster, but I'm perfectly okay with irregularity and study breaks as long as I keep improving little by little.

Persian is still a regular part of my life. I'll be continuing oriental dance classes with a new teacher who happens to be Iranian this year, I listen to Persian music, I now and then find myself in a room full of Persian speakers chatting away in a language I - as of now - hardly understand. There are rare moments of triumph when I can, as if by miracle, glean the topic of conversation. I'd like more of those in the future.

I have no set plans on what to achieve this year, I just want to reengage with this beautiful language and see where that takes me. If I manage to finish one out of "Learn Persian with Chai and Conversation", "Sprachkurs Persisch" and "Assimil Le Persan sans Peine" that would be great. If not, then not. This year will certainly be a busy one and Persian is not a priority - it feels more like an old buddy I simply keep running into. And of course, even though I may be very busy, I want to and will make some time for an old friend like that.

Edited by druckfehler on 28 December 2014 at 11:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 46 of 55
04 January 2015 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Discovery of the week: Actually, my Persian skills are not as bad as I thought. In truth I have quite a good base to build on, some of it has just gotten a bit rusty.

This weekend, I learned a couple of sentences about public transport on the bus:

یک بلیت لطفن
yek belit lotfan.
One ticket please.

باید پیاده بشویم
baayad piaade beshavim.
We have to get off.

باید سوار بشویم
baayad savaar beshavim.
We have to get on.

باید عوض کنیم
baayad avaz konim.
We have to change lines.

Along with these, I learned a couple of interesting facts. پیاده basically means "by foot". So the sentence which signifies that "we have to get off the bus" literally translates into something like "we have to become by foot". Getting on or in is expressed through سوار, which signifies "by use of a means of transportation" (bus, car, horse, what have you). Once again I'm noticing how important the meaning "to become" is regarding language and human thought. Just like Korean, Persian extensively uses the verb "to become" (شدن; Korean: 되다). When I only knew German and English I wasn't aware what an important function this verb truly has. "Changing one's state of being" is really something we need to express a whole lot in speech.

Edited by druckfehler on 06 January 2015 at 8:43pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

gordafarin
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3879 days ago

12 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Persian, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 47 of 55
25 January 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:

یک بلیت لطفن
yek belit lotfan.
One ticket please.

A small correction, if I may :) --
lotfan is spelled لطفاََ (instead of with a nun, with an alef and two lines on top). This is a suffix which comes from Arabic but it used a lot in Persian. It changes a word into an adverb.
Some examples:
تماما tamaaman - completely
رسما rasman - formally, officially
اتفاقا ettefaaghan - as it so happens, in fact
بعدا ba'adan - later
قبلا qablan - before, earlier
واقعا vaqe'an - really, actually
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 48 of 55
25 January 2015 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your correction, gordafarin! I'm glad for any mistakes that are caught so I can pay more attention to them. Persian spelling is quite tricky, I think.

Have you been studying Persian for a long time? Seems like you know it really well, judging by your example words :) Do you have any study tips? Any materials you can recommend?

Edited by druckfehler on 25 January 2015 at 10:49pm

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version