Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3885 days ago

12 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Persian, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 49 of 55
26 January 2015 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
I studied Persian while I was in university, and I have been continuing on-and-off in the years since. I think I'm somewhere in B1 level now, trying to progress to B2.

My favorite textbook that I've seen in the Routledge course, it's laid out really nicely and the vocabulary has example sentences.
For free resources, my favorites PersianDee, Persian in Texas (a HUGE amount of information), and Persian Language Online, although new, has some beginner-intermediate conversational lessons which are really good.

I also must recommend taking advantage of the fact that Iran does not recognize international copyright law, which means in turn most countries don't recognize its copyright laws... meaning there is a vast amount native material easily & legally available online. What I mean is دانلود and رایگان are very useful search terms ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6448 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 50 of 55
28 January 2015 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
gordafarin wrote:

A small correction, if I may :) --
lotfan is spelled لطفاََ (instead of with a nun, with an alef and two lines on top). This is a suffix which comes from Arabic but it used a lot in Persian. It changes a word into an adverb.

I think it is interesting that so much Arabic has been borrowed into the Persian language. Looking up lotf-an in the Stiengass dictionary, I found the expression 'lotf-an va karam-an' (graciously, generously). All three words including the conjunction 'va' (and) are from Arabic. Even in the Elwell-Sutton grammar that I am currently working through, I noticed that there are 6 or 7 Arabic words out of 28 total words in the first lesson.

Edited by Talib on 28 January 2015 at 10:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 51 of 55
29 January 2015 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Talib wrote:
gordafarin wrote:

A small correction, if I may :) --
lotfan is spelled لطفاََ (instead of with a nun, with an alef and two lines on top). This is a suffix which comes from Arabic but it used a lot in Persian. It changes a word into an adverb.

I think it is interesting that so much Arabic has been borrowed into the Persian language. Looking up lotf-an in the Stiengass dictionary, I found the expression 'lotf-an va karam-an' (graciously, generously). All three words including the conjunction 'va' (and) are from Arabic. Even in the Elwell-Sutton grammar that I am currently working through, I noticed that there are 6 or 7 Arabic words out of 28 total words in the first lesson.

I think you'll find this to be a fairly consistent trend in your studies of Persian, and Arabic will be an immense help to you. Words of Arabic origin constitute a huge portion of the Persian lexicon. Since you already know Arabic, you have a tremendous advantage in tackling Persian.

Wikipedia wrote:
John R. Perry in his article "Lexical Areas and Semantic Fields of Arabic" estimates that about 24 percent of an everyday vocabulary of 20,000 words in current Persian, and more than 22-40 percent of the vocabulary of classical and modern Persian literature, are of Arabic origin. The text frequency of these loan words is generally lower and varies by style and topic area. It may approach 25 percent of a text in literature. Among the Arabic loan words, relatively few (14 percent) are from the semantic domain of material culture, while a larger number are from domains of intellectual and spiritual life.[63] Most of the Arabic words used in Persian are either synonyms of native terms or could be glossed in Persian.

Edited by ellasevia on 29 January 2015 at 6:39am

4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 52 of 55
15 February 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
It's great to read from you all! Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the forum currently interested in Persian and I'm very glad to be proven wrong :)

gordafarin, those links are great! I've seen them before, but didn't think PersianDee was as useful as it is. Actually, I really need to study grammar now, so it's a very good resource for me. Also, Persian Language Online seems to have grown a lot since I last looked at it and really is a lot of fun to use.

ellasevia, how are your language studies going? Are you still doing Chinese at uni? Do you have any plans for Persian in the future?

Talib, have you been studying Persian for long?

My update is long overdue. I've been studying a fair bit of Persian in the past weeks. Most of it was revision, but now I'm arriving at the point where I truly need to relearn material. I'm still studying with my Anki audio sentence deck. I suspended all cards and now gradually reactive the ones I had been studying last year. I'm surprised at how well this method has obviously worked - I remember most of the sentences, because I listened to and repeated them several times. Even though it was a year ago, they are fairly fresh in my memory. Using this method it feels very easy to activate what I've studied as well.

completed lessons:

persian dee: 1
persian language online: 5
chai and conversation: 12 (review)
le persan sans peine: 20 (review)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 53 of 55
16 February 2015 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
ellasevia, how are your language studies going? Are you still doing Chinese at uni? Do you have any plans for Persian in the future?

I'm pretty busy with university and life in general still, but I've been making a concerted since the beginning of 2015 to make language learning a more consistent part of my routine again. For now I'm mostly focusing on Chinese and Turkish, with some Bulgarian and Persian on the side when I have time. To start, I'm trying to revive some of my Anki decks to reactivate all of the vocabulary I used to know in languages like Persian before I dive into new material and find myself overloaded with new words.

Yes, I'm still doing Chinese at uni, though I'll admit that I'm not enjoying it nearly as much this year. I don't think I'll take another year of it once I finish this semester. Luckily, the course is very rigorous and I've actually learned an incredible amount Chinese this year. As for Persian, I'm hoping to spend next year studying abroad in Istanbul (hence the focus on Turkish), and if so I plan on taking a course in either Persian or Arabic while I'm there in addition to Turkish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6448 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 54 of 55
25 April 2015 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Talib, have you been studying Persian for long?

I am sorry for the very late reply.

I just started learning Persian a few months ago. At first, I went through some of the Elwell-Sutton grammar with its exercises and some of the Teach Yourself Urdu Script book to learn the nastaliq script style, but now I am considering changing my approach. I think that learning Persian through conversational audio methods in the beginning might make more sense because it would provide practice with the pronunciation and common vocabulary before tackling the grammar-translation exercises.

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 55 of 55
14 June 2015 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
completed lessons:
persian dee: 1
persian language online: 5
chai and conversation: 21
le persan sans peine: 30

Another very overdue update. I haven't posted in this log for ages, but I've slowly been reviewing the Assimil and Chai and Conversations lessons I completed before and now I'm done with all the old material and have started working on new lessons. I also wrote the following little text on a whim:

هفته گذشته من با دوست پسرم به کرواسی رفتم
آنجا یک هفته ماندیم
چند روز باران آمد، ولی چند روز هم گرم و آفتابی بود
ما در دریا شنا کردیم و هر روز غذای خوشمزه خوردیم‬
خیلی خوش گذشت
ولی حالا دوباره هر روز در اداره باید کار کنم
چه قدر زندگی سخته‪;-) !‬

Last week I went to Croatia with my boyfriend.
We stayed there for one week.
On some days it rained, but on some days it was warm and sunny.
We swam in the ocean and ate delicious food everyday.
I had a great time.
But now I have to work in the office again everyday.
How hard life is! ;-)

Maybe now is the right time to push the limits of my Persian as far as I can before I want another break. I'm really happy studying it at the moment. It actually gets more interesting the more I learn about it. And studying doesn't seem like work at all.
I just make audio cards...

or Assimil that simply means translating sentences and looking up new grammar points. I try to consult the French explanations and translations in the Assimil text sometimes. It adds another dimension of language fun because I hardly know any French. But I also have a very good German textbook for Persian. It's packed with information so I can't seem to motivate myself to really study it yet, but it's good for looking up new grammar points and also for looking up vocabulary as I no longer have internet at home and thus have to do without the comfort of google translate.

For Chai and Conversation I cut the audio sentences from the podcast, make transcripts (great writing exercise) and translate their English translations into German. I decided to study Persian through German instead of through English (or French… :)). As I already studied Korean through English, I thought it was a good idea to study Persian through German. I also usually talk to the Persian speakers I know in German, so it just makes more sense to connect this new language to German.

As I usually don't have any ambitions for Persian, it's just pure fun. I think that's the only way I can sustain my language studies and it works. Things stick very well with my audio sentence method (I listen to and repeat the Anki cards and make sure I understand exactly what I'm repeating). This became really evident when I wrote the text about Croatia - it was almost effortless and the only words I didn't know yet were "to swim" and "Croatia". I'm not sure I would've found it as easy before the long study break. So it's going well; I make progress despite the stop-and-go approach and I'm happy about that.

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version