Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 55
05 December 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to my shiny new Persian log! My Christmas present this year will be to finally start studying Persian in earnest. Over the past 2 years I have amassed a considerable stack of language resources, including one sweet Persian boyfriend. This means that language learning will probably be even more fun than usually and rather immersive and interactive.

As far as courses go, I found several free textbooks on the net and also own the very solid Sprachkurs Persisch published by Alefba. I still need to decide how and when to tackle what - having many resources can be overwhelming and I want to avoid getting confused and distracted by them and instead let them help me to get a good grounding in the language. To break the routine of systematic study (which I will hopefully develop) I plan to make use of songs, children's books and maybe even some poetry. They will surely be effective for learning words and practicing reading.

I'm writing this introductory post a little early, because I'm really excited about the prospect of taking my second and third steps in a(n almost) new language soon. I'll introduce the materials I'm using while I move along. It would be great to chat with other former, current and future Persian learners on the forum! Let this log be a place for fond memories, curious inquiries and visions for a Persian renaissance on HTLAL… ;)

Here's some calligraphy of a Hafez poem. Isn't it lovely?

Edited by druckfehler on 28 December 2014 at 10:26pm

13 persons have voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 55
05 December 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm always so happy to see people studying Persian! I have gotten a little lazy with mine, so hopefully I can borrow
some of your motivation. :) Bookmarked!
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 3 of 55
05 December 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Élan, glad to see you here! I got so much useful info from you the last time I set out to study Persian :)

Although I dropped out of the TAC team early, I occasionally tried to translate a song or tried to decipher some words from International Digital Children's Library, which always made me want to study more. And I do get to casually practice conversation now whenever I feel like it, which is great. I'm just waiting until I finish my thesis before I start a real study routine, so January 2014 it is!
1 person has voted this message useful

jamesleecoleman
United States
Joined 4269 days ago

38 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Russian, Persian

Message 4 of 55
06 December 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
I've finally been able to focus more on Farsi recently. I've been trying to study Farsi for a while now but it hasn't been working out because of the lack of people to practice with.

Two books that I've brought are 1000+ Most Useful Persian Words and 100 Persian Verbs. Both are by Nazanin Miradeghi and they're awesome. I also brought Basic Persian by Saeed Yousef and Hayedeh Torabi. It's alright for now but I'm just trying to learn some vocabulary.

I think it's really easy to forget Persian if you stop studying it. I hope it goes well for you!

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 5 of 55
06 December 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I'm glad to see your log up and running, and am really looking forward to studying Persian with you this year! I also love the title you chose, as I'm an avid fan of the poetry of Hafiz and Rumi -- I even have a book of Hafiz poems (though in English translation, unfortunately) sitting on my desk right now.

You're so lucky to have a Persian boyfriend to help you along and motivate you! How far do you hope to get in your Persian this year?

!موفق باشی

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 6 of 55
06 December 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
jamesleecoleman wrote:
I've finally been able to focus more on Farsi recently. I've been trying to study Farsi for a while now but it hasn't been working out because of the lack of people to practice with.

I think it's really easy to forget Persian if you stop studying it. I hope it goes well for you!

That's quite true, unfortunately... once you don't use the language you forget a lot. The first time I studied Persian was two years ago. I studied very intensively for a month and crammed about 400 words, but then got burned out and totally neglected the language. I was lucky to hear spoken Persian regularly (I was teaching German to a group of Iranians and Afghans), so I didn't forget everything. The good thing is, that I now notice that I even have some recollection of words that I last heard or saw two years ago. I recently got woken up with "بلند شو". After some confusion (which I may as well blame on being a zombie in the mornings) I remembered that I knew this verb (بلند شدن - boland shodan; the above is the imperative) and that it means "get up, stand up" (if you're into Bob Marley you might remember it now as well ;)). So even if you think you forgot a lot, maybe it's not entirely true.

You could try to boost your memory by listening to Persian music, which has worked quite well for me. Of course it doesn't help with remembering everything, but it keeps my brain tuned into Persian. You're also welcome to practice here whenever you like.

jamesleecoleman wrote:
Two books that I've brought are 1000+ Most Useful Persian Words and 100 Persian Verbs. Both are by Nazanin Miradeghi and they're awesome. I also brought Basic Persian by Saeed Yousef and Hayedeh Torabi. It's alright for now but I'm just trying to learn some vocabulary.

Verbs are always my weak spot, it seems, so I might check out that book! Actually, if you're still looking for resources for grammar, listening, etc. there's a lot of free material on the net. Learn Persian with Chai and Conversation, for example, is great for learning colloquial speech and talking about basic topics. I'll be posting more links when I study with the materials.

ellasevia wrote:
I'm glad to see your log up and running, and am really looking forward to studying Persian with you this year! I also love the title you chose, as I'm an avid fan of the poetry of Hafiz and Rumi -- I even have a book of Hafiz poems (though in English translation, unfortunately) sitting on my desk right now.

I'm also looking forward to studying together! I'm so glad not to be the only person studying Persian next year and you have lots of experience with learning languages, I'm sure I can learn a lot from you :)

Aside from being very useful to me in particular and also very useful in general (so many Persian speakers...), the number one attraction of Persian for me is its poetry and music. When I studied with Easypersian last year, I fell in love with the poems that were introduced on the site.

ellasevia wrote:
You're so lucky to have a Persian boyfriend to help you along and motivate you!

Indeed! Learning to speak Persian with my boyfriend is the best language exchange I could think of. He's still learning German, too, so we're helping each other. I have never felt so comfortable before when trying out my first sentences in a foreign language. I plan to ask him to record some things for me (probably children's books) and if he's okay with it I could share those with you, if you're interested.

ellasevia wrote:
How far do you hope to get in your Persian this year?

My only plan is to study regularly, I don't have any fixed goals. I decided not to make any, because I know that a study routine is all I need to get there, I don't have to decide which level I want to reach in a year. Last year I set an ambitious goal for Korean and while that helped me to actually reach it, it also stressed me out sometimes. I'd rather not think about progress so much and instead enjoy the journey ;)

ellasevia wrote:
!موفق باشی

The best of luck to you as well!

Edited by druckfehler on 02 January 2014 at 4:13am

7 persons have voted this message useful

jamesleecoleman
United States
Joined 4269 days ago

38 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Russian, Persian

Message 7 of 55
06 December 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler,

I really appreciate your input!

http://mylanguages.org/learn_farsi.php is a site that I've been looking at. There were a few websites that did conjugations for Farsi verbs but I guess they got taken down. Thanks for the resources. It's really difficult to find resources for Farsi. I've been to Easy Persian a few times. I'm still trying to learn the alphabet!!! It's not sticking to me.

I've listened to Where Love Was Born by Ashkan Kooshan and it's great! I also play Splinter Cell Black List and that game has Russian, Spanish, Arabic and Farsi being spoken in it so it's great!

I try to watch documentaries about Iran and it's great to listen to Farsi being spoken.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 8 of 55
08 December 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I love the calligraphy - this is something I am most impressed with in Arabic, too.

Quote:
I also play Splinter Cell Black List and that game has Russian, Spanish, Arabic and Farsi being spoken in it so it's great!

*dies*

I remember there was a game in planning stages by CDP Red (I *think* it was supposed to be Metro 2033) in which the language choice of the menu would also be the language your character speaks and there would be NPCs speaking other languages... sounds like lots of possibilities...

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version