Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4126 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 17 of 22
21 December 2013 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I also fail miserably at the rolling r, so I use the french r, which is more "guttural"
I guess. I do the same in Russian. I've spent most of the past 4 years trying to do a
proper rolled r, and I simply can't.

I find spelling to be quite logical in Finnish, but that does take some practice.

Word order is somewhat free in Finnish, but try to focus on the examples you have in
your textbooks, or from what you hear. Then try to stick to those. Once you have had
more exposure, then you can get a better feel for what you can and can't say.

My best explanation for the ö sound is: try to say "uh" like you're not sure of the
answer, then round your lips. Listen to the audio, possibly record yourself, and
compare. Try different mouth shapes, tongue positions, etc, until you feel that you are
quite accurate.
As for y, your lips should be almost puckered, for lack of a better explanation. It's
not a sound I struggled with because it's nearly the same as the French u. I think the
books often say to make an "eeeee" sound (like you're saying Eek!)) then round your
lips.

(Before anyone gets angry at me, I know these are not the exact way to make the sound,
but it's the best I can describe to help someone get closer to the pronunciation.)

Best of luck for 2014.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3802 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 18 of 22
22 December 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Which cases do you know? You certainly don't need them all to say meaningful things,
but any sentence with two nouns will require two different cases (unless the nouns are connected by
"and"), including the nominative which you already know :-)

As for long vowels, make them as long as you want. The main thing is keeping your short vowels short. It's
all relative to your own speech. If you speak slowly and your short vowels aren't that short, then the long
ones have to be longer too.

Hope that helps :)

I dont know the names but t I know the -n like Pekan Koira and the -ssa/ä cases.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 22
22 December 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Oh but you can say plenty of things using them!
(note that unlike German nouns, the Finnish ones are lowercase, including the ones denoting a nationality, language, day of the week, month...)

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3802 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 20 of 22
23 December 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Oh but you can say plenty of things using them!
(note that unlike German nouns, the Finnish ones are lowercase, including the ones denoting a nationality, language, day of the week, month...)

LOL!

I do that subconsciously now, even in English!

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3802 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 21 of 22
31 December 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
So I've got some new things happening with me.

I've decided that I want to go to nursing school, to ensure that I'm able to be competitive in the field I'm going to have to start getting serious about Spanish. In that case, I'm going to have to drop Finnish. I can't make time for three languages and since Spanish is immediately beneficial for me, I'm doing to devote my time to it where I was to Finnish.

However, I'm still very interested in learning Finnish so I do plan on re-picking it up in the future. But for now I won't be updating this log until I pick up Finnish again.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 22
01 January 2014 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
Pity :( But good luck with the nursing school!

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version