Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4648 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 9 of 16
08 December 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
There are some first names with dotted letters, such as Helinä or Yrjö. And as far as I
know, you can't call those letters umlauts. That name comes from German, where it
expresses a "change" in the sound of normal A's, O's and U's. In Finnish, Ä and Ö (and Y)
are letters (sounds) on their own right, they are not modifications of the other letters.
They just look the same because of Swedish influence. Sorry if I went off topic :)

And yeah, foreign words violate vowel harmony all the time. On of the hardest for me to
pronounce is "pastöroitu" (from Swedish pastöriserad = pasteurized).

Your name would be "Courtneyn" in genitive and "Courtneyä" in partitive. I might be
wrong, but I think this comes from a tendency of equating the English schwa (that sound
in Court) with ö. Thus, I guess a Finn would say something like "Körtniä".
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3793 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 10 of 16
08 December 2013 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:
There are some first names with dotted letters, such as Helinä or Yrjö. And as far as I
know, you can't call those letters umlauts. That name comes from German, where it
expresses a "change" in the sound of normal A's, O's and U's. In Finnish, Ä and Ö (and Y)
are letters (sounds) on their own right, they are not modifications of the other letters.
They just look the same because of Swedish influence. Sorry if I went off topic :)

And yeah, foreign words violate vowel harmony all the time. On of the hardest for me to
pronounce is "pastöroitu" (from Swedish pastöriserad = pasteurized).

Your name would be "Courtneyn" in genitive and "Courtneyä" in partitive. I might be
wrong, but I think this comes from a tendency of equating the English schwa (that sound

Very insightful!

I think I like Körtniä better than the normal spelling and pronunciation, lol.

1 person has voted this message useful

maucca
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4437 days ago

33 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French

Message 11 of 16
08 December 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Foreign and proper nouns can violate the vowel harmony. But there is a tendency to normalize them. Many Finns say "Olimpia" instead of the correct "Olympia", if they relax the pronunciation.

No, actually there is a tendency to pronounce it "Olumpia".

maucca
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4437 days ago

33 posts - 64 votes 

Message 12 of 16
08 December 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
caam_imt wrote:

According to the Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, Courtney is pronounced, depending on one's rhoticity, either [kɔtni] or [kɔrtni], so the correct partitive would be "Courtneya". But in actual practice it depends on how well aware the speaker or writer is of the correct pronunciation, and how rigorously he feels like following it. Therefore it's not surprising to see foreign names inflected as if they were pronounced according to the Finnish rules of pronunciation, which in this case means that the partitive form "Courtneyta" is also fairly common.

http://www.kotus.fi/?s=4362

2 persons have voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4648 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 13 of 16
08 December 2013 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I see, I thought Courtney had a schwa in it, my bad. I got a couple of hits on Google
with Courtneyä though, I guess showing how some people are not aware of the correct
pronunciation (like me :)). As your link shows, it is by no means a straightforward
matter.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4039 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 16
22 December 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
"Courtney" in Finnish sounds like [kʰo:ɹtni:] which only has the vowels 'o' and 'i'. Therefore it doesn't violate vowel harmony in the slightest.

A mini-paradigm to declining this name;
Courtney'n
Courtney'ta
Courtney'hin

the apostrophe is because until that part it's not pronounced as Finnish is pronounced so it separates the foreign pronunciation from Finnish case endings. Courtney is not a very good example with this because it can be used without the apostrophe quite well but something like Skype declines as follows;

Skype'in
Skype'ia
Skype'iin

This is because Skype is pronounced as [skaip], and (plosive) consonant finals usually decline in this way.

//Edit; I completely forgot the original question!

So rolling the "r" is important and you most likely are able to do it; it just is difficult at first. There are great lessons on the internet for practicing how to do it. The way my cousin was told to practice was to try to say "d" before every "r" sound, because in "d" your tongue is in the position of the rolled "r" and thus all you need to do is put your tongue in that position and let the air escape and vibrate your tongue. That is, if you're able, some people aren't physically able to do that.

Edited by Henkkles on 22 December 2013 at 12:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

utu
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4590 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes

Message 15 of 16
12 January 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
About using the apostrophe: you need to use it only when the word's pronunciation ends
at a vowel but has a consonant as the last written letter - for example show:
show'n
show'ta
show'hun
etc.

So if you decline Courtney, it should be written as Courtneyn instead of Courney'n. And
I would also decline Courtneya (-a instead of -ta) and Courtneyin (-in
instead of -hin), but that is only a matter of opinion - to me Courtneyhin sounds
archaic.

And one last thing: if you have English and French word which ends at the "mute e" you
only add the case ending to the word without the apostrophe or any extra letters. So
Skype for example is declined as
Skypen
Skypea
Skypeen (pronounced as [skaipi:n])
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 16
12 January 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, someone clearly uses Skype with an English (or other non-Finnish) interface :P

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version