South Africa
Joined 3918 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Turkish, Polish

Message 81 of 252
09 January 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Try Viki: http://www.viki.com/tv/browse

Just choose Turkey from the Countries drop down. Unfortunately though some episode or parts of episodes are sometimes missing or not
translated at all.

You can also watch Turkish TV at: http://www.trt.net.tr/Anasayfa/canli.aspx?y=tv
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4138 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 82 of 252
09 January 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both. That was really helpful.
1 person has voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4304 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 83 of 252
09 January 2014 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Yesterday I was supposed to study Turkish, basically
for the first time for 2014. But I didn't. So I'll do it today, and I am writing this
in order for me not to find any excuse!

Of course, I don't need motivation to read turkish. I like the TY book a lot.

Is there any turkish series I might find easy to watch? Not Macgnificent century,
please. I spotted Kuzey Güney on youtube, and it looks ok. Is it worth it? Most
importantly, is the language something I could learn from, or are they speaking slang
etc?

Any suggestions will be welcome!

In Turkish series usage of slang is very rare but they speak in daily speed which can
be a nightmare for foreigners especially in agglutinative languages like Turkish :)I
guess keeping up with accumulation of suffixes while listening shouldn't be as easy as
it seems. İntikam is another hit series nowadays. Keep away from Muhteşem Yüzyıl
(Magnificent Century) they add many old-fashioned expressions to make audience feel the
era.

For a more agreable speed but much more clearer pronunciation, you can try cartoons. I
find pronunciations of Caillou and Pepee very clear.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4138 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 84 of 252
09 January 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
I hadn't thought of cartoons, thank you for the information and the good idea :)

solka
Tetraglot
Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6328 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 85 of 252
10 January 2014 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Another cartoon you can try is Trotro (in Turkish). It uses simple but useful everyday
language. I liked watching it in French with my daughter, although she prefers the
Russian version that she understands :)

You can find all the cartoons, and many 'dizi' online.
As for the series, it might be a good idea to start with the old series as they are more
likely to have many fans abroad, and, therefore, English subtitles. Some of them are
mentioned in the article linked above.

Oh, by the way, the news on many Turkish channels are good for learners of language, as
they usually repeat one thing over and over, sometimes give subtitles for people's
sayings, and show the visuals. But I'm not sure where you can find them online.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4138 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 86 of 252
10 January 2014 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your suggestions. As for the news, I get turkish channels from the satellite, so that's no problem :) I am interested in politics and other matters, so it's interesting too. I guess the news also have the advantage of a solid, formal language, which is good when you first learn.

It's still too soon to really understand, but I want to listen to the language a lot. I know from other languages that I will progressively start getting words, then phrases, then really understand. It also makes miracles for the pronunciation, I feel.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 10 January 2014 at 9:41am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4138 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 87 of 252
10 January 2014 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Turkish

Update.

I am afraid I will linger a bit more on that first chapter. I keep reading it untill I remember things, and I still haven't dared to do the exercises.

I keep trying to find memory tricks to remember things. For the ablative case, we say in greek: anadan papadan, meaning from his mother and father. I don't know if the turks use it the same way, but it helps me remember the ablative.

For the genitive I remember the last scene in "forbidden love" where she says to him, "beni bihterini", I am your Bihter or something. So I remember that ending as well. Maybe I got the phrase wrong, but it helps :)

For the locative case the example Istanbul'da stuck in my head, so that's done too.

The dative I'll just learn cold, and the definite objective I'm still working on. I need to pay extra attention to the ending variations and the changing vowels.

I really like it so far, and it may seem slow, but it will work well in the end. I need good foundation right from the start. Later I may not be able to fill important gaps in grammar.

About vocabulary:

Bahçe is also used in greek, μπαξές, although the most common word is κήπος.

Küçük I remember from history lessons, because there was a treaty of kyuchuk kainartzi (non turkish spelling).

Bir, is used in greek in the phrase bir para, meaning that I bought/sold something for no money at all, very cheap.

Also from histoy, şehır.

Vapur, we say βαπόρι.

The TY vocabulary so far is not touristic, but they are words surely within the common ones people use in all languages. I love the non tourist aspect of this particular course.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 10 January 2014 at 2:56pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4138 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 88 of 252
10 January 2014 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
I had thought of rotating the languages, but I will continue with turkish today because I want to finish that first chapter.

I still don't know how I can manage three languages, and I feel awe for those who do even more! The positive thing is they are all very different languages, but I have to find a way not to end up doing injustice to one or two of them. Maybe a rotation of three days? But then again, when I am in the flow of studying, as in the case of turkish today, why would I break that up?

I don't want to have to revise everything before I continue, but that's what will happen if I allow more than a week between studying sessions.

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version