France
Joined 4420 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 89 of 252
10 January 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
I had thought of rotating the languages, but I will continue with turkish today because I want to finish that first chapter.

I still don't know how I can manage three languages, and I feel awe for those who do even more! The positive thing is they are all very different languages, but I have to find a way not to end up doing injustice to one or two of them. Maybe a rotation of three days? But then again, when I am in the flow of studying, as in the case of turkish today, why would I break that up?

I don't want to have to revise everything before I continue, but that's what will happen if I allow more than a week between studying sessions.

I know how you feel, I have the same issue with only two languages (plus the ones I want to keep up). I tried rotating between Russian and Greek some time last year, doing Greek Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Russian the other days of the week. It worked for a while, but then I ended up being insatsified because when I only did Greek, I felt that I was neglecting Russian and vice versa. In the end I focused more on Greek during a few months before a trip to Crete, and then more on Russian in the autumn. I guess I just have to accept that I do not have lots of time for studying, so I have to try and do my best in the little time available.

Definitely, if you are in a flow and motivated to keep on studying Turkish, do so. Maybe tomorrow or next week you will feel a stronger urge to do Russian or French, and then you should go for that. After all, it is about having fun and enjoying the learning process.

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 90 of 252
10 January 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
That's how it will be I guess. Nice to know I am not the only one :)

I am having fun. I have so much stress about everything else that I decided languages will only be fun!

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4305 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 91 of 252
11 January 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
".... beni öldürüyorsun. Beni, beni, Bihter'ini" .. it's indeed a quote from the most
discussed scene of this series. It may be the finale.
beni : the accusative of "ben"
Bihter'ini => bihter + in + i (accusative of "your Bihter")
"... you're killing me. me, me, your bihter"

Changing letters are the hardest but the only matter of Turkish vocal harmony. So, once
you learn, you'll benefit from it in all suffixes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 92 of 252
11 January 2014 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Thank you Fireball! I did get the phrase wrong in terms of grammar! Thanks for the clarification.

That series was a huge hit in Greece. It's the only turkish series I've ever watched. Of course, now I think I should start watching others as well, because of the advantage of the subtitles. I'm sure as I learn, I will understand and catch even more.

Vocal harmony is a very interesting thing. In fact the turkish grammar is completely new to me, which is very enjoyable and motivating.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 93 of 252
13 January 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
[...] Nice to know I am not the only one :)

I am having fun. I have so much stress about everything else that I decided languages will only be fun!

Oh no, you’re not alone! I think we all experience the frustration inherent in juggling several languages while dealing with the feeling that we don’t have enough time to devote to each one. Personally, I find the new TAC rule which allows us to switch to “observer” status when we can’t find the time for a language very encouraging. Thanks to that I think we’ll have an almost “guilt-free” TAC participation this year.

Anyway, have a fantastic 2014. Good luck with your languages!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 94 of 252
14 January 2014 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
You too Emme! I had been thinking about the "many languages" thing, and it came to my mind that I don't have the same goals for all three of them.

French: I really want this to be a french year!
Turkish: I want to have a strong, solid foundation for speaking it and communicating. It will not be an one year thing.
Russian: I want to be able to read books, and hold basic conversations. I don't have great ambitions for it (yet...).

So, each language with its own goal, that is different needs and learning strategies. If that's not enough to make things interesting and stress free, I don't know what is! Although there really is no stress. I just want to learn, I am not taking any life changing exams or anything.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 95 of 252
14 January 2014 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
French

Pages 7-8 of my verb book, about the formation of tenses. Apparently the first person plural of the present indicative, is very important. It gives you the present participle, the imprefect tense, the present of subjunctive, etc. This way of explaining things is very helpful so far.

I never liked the subjunctive, in fact I never properly learned it (or forgot it immediately which is the same thing). That's probably why I never judge when people learning greek don't use it well. Of course now I am older than the high school girl that first learned french, so I hope to pay attention this time. It's details like this that make the difference, when speaking a language.

Meanwhile, this book seems great. If I manage to properly study it, it will give me amazing progress in little time. I can't wait to finish with it so that I can move on to other french things. It has more than grammar: it has a huge verb vocabulary, and I wish I knew how many words we are talking about. It's a lot though, I can tell you that much.

The turn of the centure free resourses are great. They may be old, but they have good vocabulary and pay detailed attention to grammar. They don't try to make things too easy or turn you into an eternal tourist. Not that there is anything wrong with that, if that's what you want.

Edit: FSI French phonology chapter 1, done. A marathon, but pleasant enough. FSI agrees with me a lot. I find the repetitive drills very helpful.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 15 January 2014 at 9:31pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 96 of 252
14 January 2014 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
I've been casually watching some TV5, and I keep seeing Nicolas Le Floch, a detective tv series set in 18th c. France. It's fun and it's murder, so I recommend it if you can find it. Half of the things they say are incomprehensible to me, and thank God for TV5 subtitles but I still miss things. They use some awesome euphemisms for... ahem... certain things, such as "une maison tres discrete", "relations galantes" etc. They also keep insulting each other in the most polite language you can imagine, which is a delight.

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version