Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 137 of 252
23 January 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
I've never used FSI myself, I always found it too dry, the language a bit dated and the
formatting uncomfortable. Maybe I should give it a try later, especially for languages
such as Turkish which demand getting used to a whole new grammar.

(As a matter of fact, I do plan to use Basic Course in Estonian which has nearly the same
FSI format).
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 138 of 252
23 January 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Outdated language can be an isssue with FSI. For example, the greek course is not recommended. But other languages are fine.

You have to ask a native Estonian to give you his/her opinion before you start. I use it for Turkish/Hebrew, and to tell you the truth I haven't asked anyone to tell me if it's outdated. I'll search the forum. Maybe there is a thread on that topic somwhere.

It is dry, military even, but somehow it suits me. But of course that's a matter of personal preferences. I know the drills will make me mad at some point, but I am prepared to deal with them!

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4283 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 139 of 252
23 January 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Your Turkish-Greek common words post is excellent!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 140 of 252
23 January 2014 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
fireballtrouble wrote:
Your Turkish-Greek common words post is excellent!

Yes, no doubt. The Greek / Turkish rivalry is one of the most famous in History. As there were long periods of peace, both learned a lot from each other. Even as late as the early 15th century, both looked down on Western Europe as uncivilised (which was probably true, comparatively).

I'm thinking of this:

renaissancemedi wrote:
çorap, τσουράπι, wool socks to wear inside the house instead of shoes

Edited by Luso on 23 January 2014 at 3:59pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 141 of 252
23 January 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
41.jpgl">
9841.jpg">
[/IMG]

чт is pronounced шт only in что and чтобы, чн - in a number of words, жд - obsolete, cч -
not between a preposition and the next word, probably.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 142 of 252
24 January 2014 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
renaissancemedi wrote:
41.jpgl">
9841.jpg">
[/IMG]

чт is pronounced шт only in что and чтобы, чн - in a number of words, жд - obsolete, cч -
not between a preposition and the next word, probably.

Спасибо.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 143 of 252
24 January 2014 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
@Fireball and Luso.

I am happy you liked the post. I will keep making similar posts because it helps me, and I find it fascinating to know where words come from.

Usually, us Greeks, we are used to spotting the greek words in other languages. But in this case, we have loans not only from greek to turkish, but also from turkish to greek.

This is very interesting to me, because our language has been consciously "purified" several times, including quite recently, when war was waged against obvious foreign words. I mean, instead of "computer", to say "υπολογιστής". It has generally been a successful and useful campain, because God knows we have enough words to say everything. However this applied mainly to English words, etc. about the modern technological/lifestyle/tv/global village thing.

The turkish words are a different story. They are used in the colloquial, everyday language, we don't think about it, and they are such a familiar part of speech that if anyone tried to get rid of them recently, I haven't heard about it. In previous centuries yes, wilth success, but the ones that remained, are still with us. They are colloquial though. In more fancy situations we use the greek word.

To give you an example: in everyday language you say: μπούτι, thigh. But as a doctor, or on tv, you say μηρός. If you want to say the water is freezing cold, you say μπούζι. But in classroom, or talking to older people, you say παγωμένο, or something. My point is, that those are words we use all the time. That's why I was surprized to see some of them, and I have a feeling I will keep being surprized.

There are a lot of things I can tell you about swear words as well. But I won't. You can imagine though. :)

This love/hate of foreign words has been a part of Greek since forever. It's connected to issues other than language and please don't think it is only about turkish words. The English/french elements have been mercilessly hunted down and exterminated in many cases. Turkish words in the past as well, but the ones that survived are so familiar, that nobody thinks twice to use them. And they are many :)

Edited by renaissancemedi on 24 January 2014 at 8:24am

3 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5591 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 144 of 252
24 January 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:

There are a lot of things I can tell you about swear words as well. But I won't. You can
imagine though. :)

Oh please do. :-)

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version