Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 179 of 252
11 February 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
Update on not having done much.

The past few days I was unable to really focus on languages, but fortunately I managed to do a few things.

French

Beaucoup de TV5 et quelques films. Je n'ai pas étudié, malheureusement. Je veux absolument continuer avec FSI phonology. Je ne sais pas pourquoi exactement, mais je suis très relaxée avec le francais. Probablement parce que je ne vois pas comme j'utiliserais ce langue. Seulement pour lire et s'exprimer dans un journal intime. Pour voir des films aussi, bien sur.

Hebrew

I haven't done much more than studying the alphabet and writing down some words. Simply to not forget everything I know so far. Knowledge is becoming more solid as days go by, which is a good and motivating thing. I don't expect to be able to achieve a good level this year, but anything on hebrew that can move me from total ignorance to beginner's level, is more than welcome. I will not forget to do something about our team's challenge, although full sentences is a bit unlikely. Maybe learn some words on my hobbies.

Turkish

Unfortunately I didn't study turkish, which is my greatest regret this week. But I was able to listen to a lot of it as I tuned in some turkish series. I wasn't watching the tv, I was just listening, and I am happy to report that I was able to understand words and even phrases where once there was complete chaos. I also get the structure more, the verb last etc. They keep repeathing things (greetings etc.) , so you get the chance to really understand.

Russian

I did a few things about russian. I finished the MT foundation first cd, and I am definitely continuing with that. I also understood that I am not at all ready to give up on Russian Language for All, which is a good course. Yes, each unit is like climbing a mountain without ropes, but it is worth the trouble. I have already gone some way along that method, and it is a shame to walk away from that. Because of that course, I finished the MT first CD already knowing 95% of it. After all, the lack of teacher is balanced by our forum, in some ways.

I saw a russian film on youtube, without subtitles, and missed most of it as you can guess, but it was nice to catch a few things here and there. I am working on our team's challenge as well, which is an interesting one.

General comments

This has been a slow week, but generally speaking, language studying has become a habit. I look forward to it. It is becoming a very big part of my life, quietly and in a non agressive way, which is what I want. A plan is forming in my head, to actually set a goal and achieve it over a period of years: to learn all mediterranean languages, plus German and russian of course. I'd love that. The point is, this is a long term plan, a goal that may never be fulfilled, but what a journey!

In terms of reward, clearly I will not be using all those languages for professional reasons. However I don't have to say a word in this forum about the joy and value of speaking even a single extra language. It's true that in Greece, people who speak a lot of languages are appreciated, which is always a nice thing.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 11 February 2014 at 9:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 180 of 252
11 February 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Nice to know that you keep motivation, renaissancemedi! Turkish seems fascinating. Btw,
care to share the name of the Russian film with subtitles?
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 181 of 252
12 February 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Well, all the Mediterranean languages means a lot more than what you already have (even not counting dialects-turned-languages, such as Corsican, Sardinian and Venetian):

- from French you can go to Spanish, Italian and Catalan (yes, Catalan, no cheating);

- Russian will give you access to the Balkans (so to speak);

- Arabic will hand you almost half of the coastline;

- two more tough ones remain: Albanian and Maltese.

Did I forget something? Relevant, I mean.

You see, when you make these "dreamy" posts, you're bound to get teased by your teammates. Eh, eh...

P.S.: If iguanamon sees this, he'll quickly point out Ladino...

Edited by Luso on 12 February 2014 at 12:18am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 182 of 252
12 February 2014 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
@Expugnator: The film was Космос как предчувствие , Dreaming of Space, but I am afraid I can't help with the subtitles. Yes, Turkish is fascinating :)

@Luso: I deserve to be teased for dreaming out loud :) Seriously though, dialects are out. I meant the main languages, but even so I have a lot of work ahead of me! Ladino is a language I have always liked, because there is a Greek singer called savina yannatou, singing sephardic songs. It's the same language, right? (I think!)

You forgot portugese!

Savina Yannatou - Sephardic song: El rey de Francia

Edit: Here is an album

CANCIONES SEFARDIES DE SALONIKA

Edited by renaissancemedi on 12 February 2014 at 10:23am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 183 of 252
12 February 2014 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Thank you renaissancemedi! There are several other "related movies" in Russian with
English subtitles =D

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3880 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 184 of 252
12 February 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the movie Renaissancemedi! It's really good to follow your log. There's
always something userful here

Just keep dreaming... I see no problem with that. Afterall the impossible is nothing more
than something nobody did YET. So, the impossible is an opportunity to be the first :)

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version