Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 241 of 252
20 May 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious as to how it will come along, Penelope. I wouldn't start Hebrew with Assimil either.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3629 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 242 of 252
20 May 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Thank you :D

We'll see if it works :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3629 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 243 of 252
21 May 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
It’s this time of the year when I start studying Italian (again).

Last year I finished the entire Michel Thomas, something that helped me connect all the vocabulary I already knew into actual sentences, and get away with a lot during a trip to Italy. My passive skills are much better than my speaking/writing, so I understood pretty much everything a traveler should, and some more. I was able to hold conversations where people must have thought I was the best listener in the world and a person of spartan words, because I only spoke after putting things in order and knowing exactly what I was going to say. So I sounded fine, didn’t lose my way mid sentence, but I still have great gaps and a lack of spontaneity for obvious reasons.
So, I am a beginner low level speaker, but higher in comprehension.

I joined the Forza team and I have completed the first 14 assimil lessons of L’ Italien sans peine. I plan on finishing that before Christmas, because there might be another trip this year.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 244 of 252
22 May 2014 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I wish you would consider participating in the Super Challenge. You could definitely do it with French, and perhaps with other language(s).

As you know, I'm doing it with Italian, and I use it only as a way of tracking my progress. Sometimes I have the "I think I can do this" feeling, but for now I'll just amass a few minutes / pages.

I like the format because you really get the pulse of everyone's progress (if you like that, of course). In that respect, it's not as dry as, say, TAC.

I'm even considering doing the SC with French. I don't need it in the least, but it would be a good way of measuring how much I read and watch.

In the beginning, I was a bit reluctant, because I don't like to multiply the resources. It was like "hmm, setting up a Twitter account... do I really need that?", but once you get used to it, it doesn't take much of your time.

It would be fun to have you aboard. :)

Edited by Luso on 22 May 2014 at 2:16am

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3629 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 245 of 252
22 May 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Ok, I've signed up for half a french challenge. The truth is that right now I don't want to study french, but I am in need of practice, so this challenge came at the right time.

Thanks for suggesting it Luso. Now I have to find my way around all the SC threads!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 246 of 252
22 May 2014 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Penelope wrote:
Thanks for suggesting it Luso. Now I have to find my way around all the SC threads!

Glad to have you aboard. :D

Yes, the threads are confusing. I suggested the making of an umbrella thread (of threads). Let's see if someone picks it up.

In the mean time, you can live with this thread. I know I do. ;)

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3629 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 247 of 252
28 May 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
I actually didn't have phone and internet for almost two days. The day after the elections, entire areas in Attica remained without phone lines (I don't know about the rest of the country), and without an explanation too. It was frustrating, but also a bit of a relief, I admit...

Anyway, I spent some time with pimsleur hebrew, and my word book. I also listened to plimsleur Italian, but it was too easy and I will not be using that: assimil is the right level. As for french, I have been watching some things as a part of my super challenge, and I like it so far. Dubbed films are hilarious: try "for a few dollars more" in french, and see Clint do his thing à la française! I think I'll find more dubbed oldies.

As for turkish, I have been watching my daily dose of soap tv, which is fine because I don't watch anything in particular, but since there are several series on all channels all the time, I am bound to find one at any given moment. FSI sinks in as time goes by, combined with the Lewis books that I never try to learn by heart.

The actress from Asi:

Ne güzel!

I haven't touched russian at all.

I don't study any of these languages in a manic rythm, not even close. But the more I learn, the easier it gets to remember things, and to put them together.

EDIT: I couldn't resist posting this...
For A Few Dollars More (Theme by Ennio Morricone)

...and I have this tune stuck in my mind
Asi Dizi Müzikleri - Asi Jenerik (2009)

Edited by Penelope on 28 May 2014 at 12:53pm

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3629 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 

Message 248 of 252
28 May 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
One of the french films I haven't reported seeing yet, but are part of my super challege, is this absolutely wonderful documentary:

De l'orient à l'occident Documentaire Arte

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version