Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 49 of 252
07 January 2014 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
The three languages I chose for this year, give me a different feeling each.

French is all about the late 19th-early 20th century, so the fact that I have found so many language manuals from the era makes me happy beyond words. I like the formality, the politeness, and the very cosmopolitan mood of that time. I am happy to be living in the 21st c., so that I can appreciate all that. Paris of the time was a cultural centre, so art, music, fashion, litterature, everything really, was pretty wonderful.

Russian is about the litterature more than anything else, and all the classic stories. There is also the element of the Icons, which are a hobby of mine, although hobby is not at all the right word. It gives me a serious mood, rather melancholic, but I like it. I am interested a lot in its history as well, so complex and intriguing.

Turkish makes me think a lot about greek history, but I won't talk about that. I will say though that it takes me to a place full of slow music, sweets and coffee, storytelling, easy conversations and warmth. It makes me think of myths and colours and all the dolce vita of the near east. This world is not mine, but it is very familiar.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4426 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 50 of 252
07 January 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Happy new year renaissancemedi!

I love your take on associating each language with specific feelings. I must admit that for some time when I was a teenager, both French and Russian for me was all about existential "Angst" (think Sartre on the one hand and Dostoievski on the other, the one atheist, the other religious). However, having learnt to know both cultures much better, that has certainly changed. France is also "la Belle Epoque", "la chançon française" and "le film noir" to mention just a few examples, and Russia is not only melancholy and "грусть", Russians actually have a wonderful sense of humour!

Good luck with your studies in 2014!
3 persons have voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4311 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 51 of 252
07 January 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:

Turkish makes me think a lot about greek history, but I won't talk about that. I
will say though that it takes me to a place full of slow music, sweets and coffee,
storytelling, easy conversations and warmth. It makes me think of myths and colours and
all the dolce vita of the near east. This world is not mine, but it is very familiar.

This quote exactly reflects what everyone can think while looking from Kuşadası beach to
Samos Island, or vice versa. One can see even the lights of each other at night. Two
cultures, two lives. How close, how estranged...
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 52 of 252
07 January 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Happy new year renaissancemedi!

I love your take on associating each language with specific feelings. I must admit that for some time when I was a teenager, both French and Russian for me was all about existential "Angst" (think Sartre on the one hand and Dostoievski on the other, the one atheist, the other religious). However, having learnt to know both cultures much better, that has certainly changed. France is also "la Belle Epoque", "la chançon française" and "le film noir" to mention just a few examples, and Russia is not only melancholy and "грусть", Russians actually have a wonderful sense of humour!

Good luck with your studies in 2014!

Good luck to you as well, although you don't need it.

Yes, I can't wait to learn russian!
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 53 of 252
07 January 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
fireballtrouble wrote:

This quote exactly reflects what everyone can think while looking from Kuşadası beach to
Samos Island, or vice versa. One can see even the lights of each other at night. Two
cultures, two lives. How close, how estranged...

Yes, sometimes it's complicated, sometimes really simple. That's why I always focus on the nice things between us, which are truly many.

I have never been to Turkey (or Samos!), but I will visit one day. I have only heared the best from Greeks returning from Turkey. In fact you get rave reviews about your hospitality and kindness :)

Anyway, I will be posting greek/turkish common words, so I hope some will stick in your mind as well. I really hope to be able to write in turkish as soon as possible!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 54 of 252
07 January 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Russian

I have finished the first chapter of all the books in the course I'm studying from.

I think I remember everything so far, and believe me, it's quite a lot.

Spelling in russian will require some discipline on my part, since it takes a lot more effort than my other two languages. However, I choose to see this as a challenge and not as something I hate.

Writing in cursive is a real joy. Yes, some combinations are challenging but I expect practice will make things easier. I intend to write a lot in russian.

So far so good then. These books are mostly in russian (only the teacher's book has some English), which I hope will be helpful in the end. So far I am getting well aquainted with my dictionary...

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 55 of 252
07 January 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
[/IMG]

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4118 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 56 of 252
07 January 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Russian cursive is fun, although it took me a while to get confident with writing it, and
most importantly, reading it again after!

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version