Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4118 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 57 of 252
07 January 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, there is a cartoon on line somewhere, saying that russian cursive can make you cry sometimes!
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4118 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 58 of 252
07 January 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
[/IMG]

All the russian I could manage.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zerzura
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4275 days ago

45 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 59 of 252
08 January 2014 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
[/IMG]

All the russian I could manage.

This is pretty neat, considering I think of my Russian handwriting as pretty good and it's not like this. I guess I have slacked off with it like with English, it's "streamlined" almost to the point of only me understanding it : D

I hope you're learning to type, amd have been able to get Russian key stickers. That's actually a really big thing that I have put off so far. It's like learning to type all over again - very frustrating.

Russian for me is many things. It has all kinds of feelings because of it's big shifts during history. It's almost convenient. If you don't like Sankt Peterbourg you can think of Leningrad, and if you don't like that you can think of Petrograd. For me, it's a feeling of nostalgia for all of those times, even though I never lived through them. Whether good or bad times they each have a specific feeling, for which maybe the Russian language convey all of them.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4118 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 60 of 252
08 January 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
You are right, it's a nightmare to find the letters in the keyboard, but I must do it. As for the handwriting, if you have slacked off with it like with English, that probably means that you have internalized it (is that the right word?) to the point of developing your own handwriting! That's a good thing. I am still writing veeeery carefully :)
Some of the letters are almost the same as greek ones (not the same sound, the same shape) which leads me not to go for the perfect russian shape, but to settle for the one my hand is used to. This is a problem I hadn't considered.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 08 January 2014 at 8:51am

solka
Tetraglot
Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6308 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 61 of 252
08 January 2014 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Здравствуйте, Пенелопа Николаевна! С Новым годом вас!
У вас очень аккуратный почерк :) - you have very neat handwriting.

Do you usually write Greek in cursive? It would be interesting to see the Greek handwriting, too.

Some remarks on the Russian, if I may. It's "есть", not "есьт", although the latter does reflect a feature of pronunciation :)
It's better to say "Я учу русский язык", because "изучаю" is a bit more formal, as what the scientists/linguists do with the language. Also, did you
mean something like 'although I study Russian, I speak it only a little'?

It's interesting to read about your thoughts and feelings towards each language. I guess I have a similar attitude to French, although it's also
related to the classical Russian literature as well for me. You know, in the 19th century most people of nobility in Russia would speak French as
their mother tongue.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4118 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 62 of 252
08 January 2014 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Thank you for all the corrections! Maybe I tried to write in russian too soon :)

Yes, all greek handwriting is cursive but nobody is taught anymore. So it's very distinctive for each person, as you are free to develop it. There are no rules to join letters, although you end up doing it anyway. I'll give a sample if you are interested.
Last year in team Sparta there was a discussion on the subject.

solka
Tetraglot
Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6308 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 63 of 252
08 January 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
No-no, you didn't write it too soon, and it was perfectly understandable, I just wanted
to point out some minor details :)
By the way, as far as I know, the rules for joining up cursive letters in Russian also
change, as do the ways of writing some of the letters. My brother and I, for example,
were taught to write letter 'A' differently, just as on this picture:

3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 64 of 252
08 January 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Thank you for all the corrections! Maybe I tried to write in
russian too soon :)

I've heard various opinions on whether one should try speaking early or wait until after
hearing enough to get the sounds right--but I don't think I've ever heard of a reason why
you shouldn't try writing, no matter how early.

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version