Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 252
09 December 2013 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone.

As it's been almost a year to the day since I joined this forum, I was just thinking how much it has helped me.

Last year I had wanderlust, wanting to learn everything and all at once. During 2013 I learned how to pace myself, and I also got my priorities straight. I know now that what I need to do in order to really learn is to focus on one language, grammar and all, and also use say MT on the side, for a second one. This way I can truly make progress on the first, while learning some basic things about the other.

2013:
I didn't learn all those languages I wanted, but I made a lot of progress in Italian (I am still studying that, untill the end of the year). So I will consider 2013 successful, because at least I learned something while changing my mind all the time!

This was also the year that I collected quite a few resources on languages.

I also learned a lot from members of the forum, through their questions, answers, arguments, etc. I learned something from everyone. So, thanks everyone!

2014:

Learn turkish.

Start with MT french and then do to the next language, etc. Just audio this year. At the end of all of this, one of the languages will spark my interest for more studies. I have yet to see which that language will be.

Tuskish materials:

Teach Yourself Turkish 1989, and audio.

Turkish Grammar (Lewis)

Study plan

All the online sources I can find. Daily exposure to native material (that is: watching turkish soap operas on tv with greek subtitles). Now I have an excuse! Actually this has helped already with the sounds and tone of the language, not to mention many words!

Take one chapter of the book and not move on utill I know 95% of it. Take it slow and learn. After I finish this book, which I believe is very good and will give me a sound basis of the language, I'll move on to turkish only manuals. But that is a long way from now.

Hopefully I will start using turkish on this log as soon as possible, even if it is one phrase at first.

Hopefully I will not be a lazy cat!

TAC ’13 & ’14: Yürükler (Turkish team)

Team Triomphe (French) - TAC 2014

Team Катюша - TAC 2014 - TEAM THREAD

keyboard

Turkish keyboard

TAC 2014 - Rare Languages Team Thread

www.hebrewtoday.com

http://bet.iba.org.il

http://bet.iba.org.il

Edited by renaissancemedi on 21 January 2014 at 5:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 2 of 252
09 December 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
My first report:

I couldn't wait untill 2014 to start, so I have already started.

I have completed the "introduction" and "sounds and spelling" of the TY book, and I have also completed reading through unit one. I need to learn things untill they stay in my head now, and also do the exercises at the end.

It will take me some time. I will not continue untill I know those suffixes! This one unit is so packed with knowledge! I prefer this type of manual to the current tourist oriented ones.

I am just beginning to understand how the language works, and I must say I find it very interesting. It has a promise of endless self expression. But of course we'll see...
I love the fact that there are no exeptions, although there are variations. Enough to make things interesting.

I have also finished unit 4 of pimsleur turkish. This is not something I had planned, it just seems interesting so far. I'll keep doing that as long as I can.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 09 December 2013 at 8:44am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 3 of 252
10 December 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
I just finished Pimsleur unit 5 over a cup of kahve. No lokum for me though.

Although the base of all the material I use is English, I keep using greek translation in my head because sometimes it's an exact match. For example, buyrun, which means "command" litteraly, is an exact translation of ορίστε, in greek. It's used in the same way too. Also, we seem to have so many words in common (both greek and turkish) that I suspect I already have a vocabulary of many words, I just don't know it yet :) Of course I have to learn their turkish form, but still there will be no trouble remembering those at all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 4 of 252
10 December 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Hi, renaissancemedi. Just dropping by to wish you good luck with your Turkish studies. An interesting choice, and although not (yet) on my list of languages to learn, I will follow your log with interest. By the way, my boss is Turkish, so maybe I should pick up a word or two to flatter him!

I am not surprised that you find similarities between Turkish and Greek words and structures, after all there is a long common history, which although not always peaceful, has led to a lot of cultural and linguistic interchange between the two nations.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 5 of 252
10 December 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Thank you dear Ogrim. I'll be learning more than turkish this year, although a bit more conversational. But my main focus will be this one, and I am not sure why I chose it myself.

There are no common structures I believe, between the languages. But the vocabulary is a different story. I'm sensing already that as a native greek speaker I have a huge advantage on words over English speaking people learning turkish. I'll elaborate on that as time goes by!

We'll find the right words to soften your boss! Maybe if he sees you enjoying turkish coffee with a turkish delight on the side :)

I'll be visiting your log anyway, so see you around. Maybe we'll be teammates for french somewhere?

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 6 of 252
11 December 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
The fog is clearing as far as the languages I will study this year.

1)Turkish
A complete beginner, I will follow the TY course and not go off course at all. I will finish that book no matter what!

2)French
I need to remember that beautiful language. I can use it quite well within limits.I need to clear in my head the use of grammar, add vocabulary and, above all, use it in writing.

Edit: I may have a goal for french. This If I am to participate in the May exams, I need to sign up on February. But that seems too short a time to take an exam on...what? B2? C1? It's a thought though.

3)Russian
Pick a course and just do it. Assimil 1951 is a candidate but I have to think about it.

I will be in teams for all three, so I will have help. These are three different languages, and I hope that will be a good thing, not confusing everything!

Edited by renaissancemedi on 14 December 2013 at 10:14am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 252
11 December 2013 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Great start! I look forward to being on the Russian team with you :-)

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 8 of 252
11 December 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Thank you, me too! You and Josquin were the reasons I dared take on russian as well!

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version