BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 10
09 December 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
On my way out the door to school in the morning my headphones start playing a one-on-
one interview with a Chinese economist. He is talking about economic and financial
issues in China. I read the transcript twice beforehand, but it is still a fog when I
start listening. The audio quickly becomes clearer. The more I focus on what he's
saying, the more I pick up, the clearer it gets, and the easier it is for me to
understand. I get about 3 hours of listening in a day.

Fast forward two weeks. Native speakers on the streets of Beijing are sounding easier
to understand. My speaking is faster. When I listen to an interview or an audio book,
the sounds are clearer and more articulate. Also, I reach a high percentage of
comprehension of that audio much faster. Although I've been listening for about an
hour a day for the last several months, probably even the last two years, but I hadn't
noticed such improvement until I started listening about 3 hours a day and with an
intense focus on the sound.

The growth in clarity seems directly correlated with the intensity of focus I place on
the speech. The more I focus, the faster it becomes clear. The clearer it gets, the
more I can relax and still understand it.

Who else has had this type of experience? How do you describe it? Is there any
research on what is happening to the brain?

Edited by BobbyE on 09 December 2013 at 12:07pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4275 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 10
09 December 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I've been listening to Chinese lessons on podcasts for several months spread over a year now. It wasn't too
long ago when I started readily comprehending the native-level speed conversations. It's also just recently
after living a year and a half in Chongqing do the differences between the regional Chongqinghua dialect and
Standard Mandarin have become distinct to me during rapid speech.

Right now, during chats with taxi drivers, shopkeepers and waitresses, I can readily understand 50-80% of
everything they say (educated guesses can usually fill in the rest). I should mention though I'm of Asian
descent so they usually don't slow down or simplify their speech for me until after sometime of trying to talk to
me. When it's strong, their (Chongqing) accent once in a while also befuddles me, but at least now I can
detect there is an accent.

I feel like rate I'm learning is picking up, and I should be on my way very soon reach to a B2 level or higher
within 2014.

What material are you using? I'm using Popup Chinese for my podcasts.

Edited by Duke100782 on 12 December 2013 at 5:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 3 of 10
09 December 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
That sounds really cool. I'm in Beijing now, but I'd really prefer Chongqing. How do
you like it there?

I used MandarinSpot to annotate text. I use audiobooks from shupung8 or haokan5 dot
com and then just search Baidu for the texts. My favorite has been 盗墓笔记 I've
finished the first two books and re-reading now. It's a great series and haokan has a
really professional dramatic rendition of it, true-to-text too.

An amazing resource I've found for interviews with transcripts is:
http://money.163.com/special/00254BSP/economists.html

There are 130 interviews on economics and social issues (each ~30 mins), and another
100 or so on business on another part of that 意见中国 page, and yet on another page
their are lectures on various things. All of it has transcripts. It took me multiple-
day, multiple-hour searchs to eventually find something like that (ah I waste so much
time looking for resources when I already have plenty).

Edited by BobbyE on 09 December 2013 at 3:10pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4231 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 10
09 December 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
In recent months I watched a few TV series & movies from Singapore including the latest feature "ILO ILO - 爸妈不
在家" with directory Anthony Chen who won a Gold award at the French Cannes Film Festival. The Chinese
community in Singapore & Malaysia use Simplified Chinese characters and they like to insert English words into
sentences in their Mandarin speech such as: O不OK, 你的朋友夠friend啦, 我去cantine吃饭, 你出门时忘记帶ID, etc.
Hong Kong being another former British colony you don't notice the use English words & phrases in a
conversation as much.
1 person has voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4275 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 

Message 5 of 10
12 December 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I really am having great time in Chongqing, partly because I live a very comfortable life here and also
because I get to teach a grappling class once a week, another one of my endeavors which gives me much
happiness. But the ability to speak Mandarin is something I'd like to nurture for the rest of life, so I wouldn't
mind living in Beijing, just so I could pick up a standard accent from the very start. I have a wife and a baby
on the way and my wife is mostly just at home so I spend lots of time with her, so a lot of my exposure is
through podcasts, despite living in China. I'd like to walk the streets and absorb standard Mandarin, rather
than having to keep trying to discern the Chongqinghua from the Putonghua. Maybe you'd have some
insights on this.

Thanks or the link, I'm going to check it out as soon as I send this message.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 6 of 10
13 December 2013 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
That's pretty awesome that you have those things that are making you happier here. I
don't have a wife or a baby, but it would be great to have some family here.

I've found that the accent I'm picking up is based on what I listen to at home and almost
not at all based on what I hear on the street. I think this is because when I'm working
by myself I can deliberately try and copy the sound on the audio and repeat it, while on
the street I'm mostly concerned with understanding what people are saying.

Also, I struggle a lot with southern accented putonghua. I'm trying to listen to more of
it lately, but I imagine living in the south would help me get used to the lack of
difference in "zhi" and "zi" or "shi" and "si" that occurs in some southern areas. Have
you found this to be the case?

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4275 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 

Message 7 of 10
14 December 2013 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
Good point on picking up the accent that you practice over what you hear on the street. Well, I'd say the
accent here in the far inland Southwest (Chongqing and Sichuan) might be different from what one might
hear at the coastal south like Fujian and Guangzhou but they also do have much less of the rolled-tongue
sound which helps distinguish the "shi" and "si" and the "zhi" and "zi" to my beginner-level Chinese ears than
what I hear in my podcasts and lessons. I usually come across this problem when buying things and the
speech is very heavily accented - I have a hard time distinguishing between 十 and 四, which is at times a
blow to my confidence ("after a year and a half in China I get confused with numbers!").

But the biggest surprise to me is the confusion between the "N" and "L" sound in the accents of the local
dialects. For example 我和你 "wo he ni" sounds like "wo he li". I don't detect this often, but when I do I find it
quite interesting. I'm not sure if it's present in all accents in southwestern Mandarin or just limited to the
speakers of some sub-regional dialects here, but it's definitely there.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5034 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 8 of 10
14 December 2013 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
That's interesting "N" and "L". I hear that up here almost none even though there are a
lot of migrants from the south. It's funny you mention 十 and 四 because there is this
Sichuan restaurant, the first time I went there I ordered a dish that was supposed to be
18, I heard her say "si-ba", "四八", I assumed I just missed though “十” in the middle and
thought "no way, this is not 48 kuai", so I looked confused and just grabbed a 50 and
waited to see what she gave me in change.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version