Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5615 days ago

54 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written), English*, French, Korean
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 10
14 December 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I know what you mean, BobbyE. One of the biggest problems I had with listening is that
after a while I start tuning out the audio, and it becomes really hard to focus on the
target language. Recently I've been listening to things with more intensity, asking
myself questions about the material as I'm listening, breaking down the sentences into
the basic parts and arguments, etc...that kind of intense focus does seem to "upgrade"
your listening skills exactly as you've described.

Don't know if there's any technical term for it, but I think it just has to do with
concentration. Like how time seems to slow down when you focus deeply on the moment,
when you process and absorb more information and details from your surroundings.
Focusing on the audio might help you be more attentive to all of what's happening, not
just the words. I wonder if some people are just naturally better at being attentive to
foreign language audio, while others need to cultivate that focus.
1 person has voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4270 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 10 of 10
04 January 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
BobbyE, I'm assuming that the N and L switch does not happen with all accents here in Chongqing. Anyway,
I heard distinctly several times yesterday when 男朋友 was pronounced as lanpengyou.

那个 (neige) by the way is pronounced as leige in the local Chongqing dialect.

I do have have a tricky time talking to people about other's accents, especially those with local accents, as
I'm not sure if they will appreciate my (being a foreigner especially) pointing out their non-standard accents.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version