Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 1 of 55
09 December 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Team STARt

Everything has its beginning.

We are here to argue with Grumpy Cat:

We are going to get over this situation:

Of course, we're different. We have different target languages, different levels at them, different ways of studying... but we do have something in common.
We are concentrating of our first foreign language (excluding English, if necessary). From my own experience I see that the most hard thing in studying your first foreign language is lack of experience (sorry for pun). You're not sure if you're doing it right, you're not sure if you need to study language at all, you can't understand why there's no improvement after hours and hours of hard work, etc.
Polyglots say that next language would be easier, but they usually do not stop to explain you how to maintain your first one. Hence our goal is to find that out by ourselves!

I hope that eventually we'll get a "language learning circle": experienced learners will be helping newbies and newbies will be motivating experienced learners. I do believe that if you explaining something to someone you can understand that something even better than you already do.

And in order to end up this long introduction I want to thank Serpent for she is the one who did lead me here.

Our STARters' list:

Via Diva (team leader) log e-mail
AKenny log
corjine log
kujichagulia log
Sarnek log
sushi13 log
tlanguell log
Tollpatchig log
tomgosse log
waynem2188 log
YnEoS log

And our guardian angel is Serpent

Edited by Via Diva on 14 January 2014 at 11:08pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 2 of 55
09 December 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
*reserve post*
1 person has voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3788 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 3 of 55
09 December 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Yay! We have a team thread now!

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 4 of 55
10 December 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
TAC is only about to begin but I already have an idea for all of us.
While I'll be waiting for help in writing TAC instructions, I suggest for us to make post-presentation right here. We don't know each other yet and this is no good for the team, eh?

Requirements: your presentation should be:
- bilingual, if possible (English (necessary) + your TL)
- not long and not boring
- done by mid-January

Consider it as your real signing up, as some sort of captcha.
Of course, if majority wouldn't agree to do it, I'll forget about it. But I think that we should do some work to show that we do take TAC seriously, eh?
You can do it in any form, btw. Either text, either picture, either audio, either video - just try to compress information about you and your goals into something short and beautiful. I'm not sure that I'm able to do it myself, haha, but I'll try.
If you have questions, ask me right here or PM me or send an e-mail to viadiva9@yandex.ru

P.S. Yes, I'll present myself, but just not now :)

Edited by Via Diva on 01 January 2014 at 11:33am

2 persons have voted this message useful

corjine
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3801 days ago

55 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 55
10 December 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Hm. I'm considering switching my target language from Italian (which I've been learning
for 3 months now) to German (no time spent at all). Would I still qualify for this team?

EDIT: Or can I learn both German and Italian at the same time?

Edited by corjine on 10 December 2013 at 1:09pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 55
10 December 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry, you qualify either way :)

Great post, Via Diva! And so lovely that you mentioned me ♥

Edited by Serpent on 10 December 2013 at 1:38pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 7 of 55
10 December 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
corjine, I think it's okay as long as you want to grip the very idea of "how to learn the language" :) You can also study both, I'm planning to take care about my Swedish from time to time too.
Serpent, thanks, but it still lacks instructions... And I don't like to seem ungrateful, hehe ))

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 8 of 55
12 December 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Ok, shy/ busy/ lazy friends, I'll be the first:
link to YouTube video (a little bit shorter than I planned, the end seems to be cut down. but you don't lose much
text:
Quote:
Hello everyone!
My name is Daria, but most of you know me as Via Diva - well, that's my nickname. It has been chosen long ago and it doesn't mean a thing, so, please, don't think that I'm fretful girl or something worse. I'm not an angel, but that doesn't mean that I should be the opposite, eh?
I want to present myself in order to fulfill my own task for Team STARt. Yeah, everyone is equal and why should I be an exception? Plus, I see that people are either busy or shy to start posting their presentations. I could give up, but I'm a team leader and I hope that my example will kick others to get down to the business.
My log originally was entitled "How NOT to learn languages" and I think that there is a great deal of truth in this words. My experience is just another example of unsure learner, which has no plan and no goal in language learning. The situation hasn't changed since April (that is the month of my registration here on HTLAL), but now it seems that I can find the way out of darkness and improve my ways of learning.
My target languages are English, German, Swedish and, as I plan, Italian. I'm not sure about last two, but English and German are fixed on their places very tight and there is simply no way to run away from these two. My relationship with English worth another whole story and I do not intend to tell it now. German came up somewhere in the beginning of this year or even in the end of past: the language gradually was torturing me with its beauty and complexity. I moved from German movies to German music - to Austrian band Angizia, to be precise - and end up here. There was a pause in all my studies and, therefore, my presence here. It's completely normal for me because that's who I am: I can be mad about something for a month and then forget about the very existence of that something for another month.
But in 2014 situation should be different for now I have a responsibility to Team STARt. Maybe I'll tell you how that one appeared from literally nothing, but not now, hehe. Now I want to stop this quasi presentation and say some words in my TL.
Oh, dear German speakers, sorry for any type of mistakes which you'll hear (see):
Hallo und guten Tag! Mein Name ist Daria. Ich bin neunzehn Jahre alt, aber ich hoffe, dass es nicht richtig ist :) Ich wohne in Russland, in der großer Stadt in kaltem Sibirien. Es gibt hier viel weißen Schnee und durchsichtiges Eis, die die Straßen bedeckt. Es ist wirklich kalt hier, aber wir haben uns gewöhnt.
Ich mag die deutsche Sprache und ich will es lernen. Ich weiß doch, dass es nicht leicht ist, aber es kann nicht mich aufhören. Oder, vielleicht, ich hoffe, dass es nicht mich aufhören kann...

Edited by Via Diva on 12 December 2013 at 12:46pm

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version