Triglot
United States
Joined 4576 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 9
10 December 2013 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I learned Samoan up to a C2 level, according to the FSI CEFR equivalency scales. I lived in Samoa and spoke Samoan pretty much full time for 6 years. Since I left Samoa in 1982, I spoke the language infrequently for a couple of years in Hawaii, and then I haven't spoken it more than 10 times. I know for a fact that I haven't had a real conversation in it for the past 12 years. I haven't read a book in it; I haven't watched a movie in it.

Last week, I realized that I was talking to a native speaker of Samoan, and we talked for a half hour or so in Samoan.

I thought people might be interested about how much remains of a language after so long with so little practice...

I would say that my comprehension is at least 90% of what it was when I used Samoan regularly. I missed a couple of words, but they were new words, technical education terms, adopted into Samoan since I was using it. My general understanding seemed to be pretty intact, and I suspect that it would only take a few hours to get back to full speed.

My speech was more of a mixed bag. I kept getting interference from Tagalog and Spanish, two languages that I have learned since I stopped using Samoan regularly. If I concentrated, this was not too hard to stop, but I definitely had to use more effort than I did "back in the day." My impression here was that it might take a few days to get back into the swing on things. I stumble over a couple of grammatical points that should have been easy, but the big problem was interference, saying things like, "No lo quiero." instead of "Ou te le fiafia i ai."

All in all, I was pretty pleased. Most of Samoan is still in my head somewhere; getting so I can access and use it fluently would take a little effort. I wish Samoan was more of a world language so I could use it more.

So if you ever wondered what is left of a language you used to speak, my guess is that there is probably a lot left of it.
13 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3818 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 2 of 9
10 December 2013 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Do you experience interference when you speak English to other people? I find that German likes to try to infiltrate my brain and sometimes I have to catch myself from saying something in German to someone. I also find that sometimes I've started thinking in German with English words spliced in when I don't know the German equivalent.

1 person has voted this message useful

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5543 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 3 of 9
10 December 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
I find it's that way even with languages you only know a little of, as long as the context was meaningful. I
learned a few phrases of Tigrinya and Malayalam about 5 years ago from native speakers and haven't
used it since, but I still remember it. I believe this is because I was engaged at the time.

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4026 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 4 of 9
10 December 2013 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Yep. My father lived in Germany for over 20 years and he spoke it fluently. We had a
conversation in German a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed that still, after 15
years or so of not practicing the language at all, he was still able to communicate
fluently without thinking about the words to use for too long and he made almost no
grammatical mistakes. That's the only language my father knows, though (except Italian,
ofc), but I'm not sure interference with other languages would be the case for everyone,
especially if one learns the language when one is "young" (my father was 18 when he moved
to Germany).

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4576 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 5 of 9
10 December 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
I never have any interference with my native language, or at least the smallest bit. I sometimes say things in the wrong language, but that's when I'm not paying attention to whom I'm talking to.

I experience tons of interference between Tagalog and Spanish. Many words are shared by the language, and it's easy to forget which are only in one language. I also have Spanish grammar showing up in my Spanish from time to time.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5594 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 6 of 9
10 December 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
I never have any interference with my native language, or at least the smallest bit. I
sometimes say things in the wrong language, but that's when I'm not paying attention to whom I'm talking
to.

I experience tons of interference between Tagalog and Spanish. Many words are shared by the language,
and it's easy to forget which are only in one language. I also have Spanish grammar showing up in my
Spanish from time to time

My Spanish is a bit like that too.

3 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4576 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 7 of 9
10 December 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
I also have Spanish grammar showing up in my Spanish from time to time.

Not what I meant to say, but it's really better this way...

:)

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 9
10 December 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I've never had *grammatical* interference from French to English, at least that I've
noticed, but there have been times when a French expression comes readily to mind and I
have to "search" for the English equivalent, or when I use an English word in a "French"
way (for example, asking my wife how her "voyage" went).

Edited by tastyonions on 10 December 2013 at 11:58pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version