Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6092 days ago

24 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 11
23 August 2007 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I've spoken Russian my entire life, and I can understand about 50-60% of spoken Polish.

I've never heard Croatian spoken before, but I've seen it in its written form. I didn't understand the words but it gave me that odd sense that I should be able to understand them. When I found the English translation after I felt kind of stupid, as if I *should* have been able to understand.
1 person has voted this message useful

krokodil
Poland
Joined 6073 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: EnglishC1

Message 10 of 11
11 September 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Darobat wrote:
Although Polish does have regular stress, I still fear I'd be inclined to put the stress where it's found in its Russian cognate. I'm also sure I'd have lapses where I apply the Polish stress rules to Russian words.

My response to your post is somewhat late as it's been over a year since you posted it. But perhaps it'll be an encouragement for all other learners of Polish.

Don't be afraid about your pronunciation and grammatical correctness. Every Polish person you'll meet will be happy enough to help you and he/she won't pay too much attention to your mistakes. Getting your message across is all important. Correctness is a secondary thing.

As for your first question I can't be very helpful though I'm Polish myself. Learning Russian for me would be relatively easy but I don't know if learning Polish is as easy for an English speaking person who knows Russian. This is quite a different sort of challenge, I suppose.

Georgi87
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 6090 days ago

43 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 11
12 September 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
I have a Slovenian friend (as far as I understand, the language is basically common across all ex-Yugoslavian countries), and after taking a summer course in Moscow (1-2 months), he was able to communicate well in every day situations, and, to a degree, discuss more difficult topics. As for Polish, I'm not sure. While I can sometimes understand the general meaning of a sentence when I hear Polish people speak, it seems to have a lot more in common with other Eastern European languages than with Russian.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version