Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’14: Sokoły / Соколи (Pol./Ukr. Team)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
151 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 18 19 Next >>
s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4827 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 33 of 151
23 December 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
I'd like to join this team as an observer with Ukrainian, currently beginner, aiming for intermediate; my log.

I'm also studying Spanish, French, German, Japanese.
I'm not planning to update my log a whole lot, maybe weekly progress reports.

Looking forward to the TAC experience!

1 person has voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4832 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 34 of 151
24 December 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Since it's Christmas Eve, here's a nice Ukrainian Christmas song: "Щедрик" a.k.a. "Carol of the Bells"
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 35 of 151
26 December 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I have tentatively set the team's name and motto to Sokół / Сокіл and Razem tworzymy przyszłość / Творимо iсторiю разом as mentioned here.

There's still a bit of time left for suggestions on the name or motto.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 36 of 151
27 December 2013 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
As my study efforts in 2014 will form part of the team's "output", I will reveal in brief my plans for studying Polish and Ukrainian.

For Polish, I am set to continue working steadily on Polish and perhaps even finish both volumes of "Kiedyś wrócisz tu..." by the end of the year in addition to taking in more authentic media. It would be great if I could increase my Polish network in my hometown since going to Poland every year is definitely nice but I can't stay there as long as I would like :-)

The situation for Ukrainian is similar to Polish in that I'm set to keep working on the language. I'm currently on Chapter 7 (of 15) of "Beginner's Ukrainian" and Chapter 12 (or 20) of "Modern Ukrainian". Working through those, in addition to going to Ukrainian classes should be enough to keep me occupied. In any case, I might even squeeze in work with the online course eMova. After my experience with eMagyarul for Hungarian (which has been unfortunately unavailable for several months), I'm all for doing a bit of study online to break the routine of doing things at my desk with pencil, paper, textbook and MP3 player. I can see myself logging on for brief sessions at the office when I have some downtime during the day >:-). There's a small chance that I'll visit Ukraine in 2014 but it's competing with other places for my annual vacation allotment.

I will be quite busy in the rest of the winter and don't expect to be able to study as much as I have in the previous two years. This also means that updating my log as frequently as I have recently doesn't seem likely in the upcoming weeks.

LinguistRick
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4003 days ago

10 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: German

Message 37 of 151
27 December 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
I am officially graduated from college. Therefore, I will have more time that I can devote to learning languages.
Count me in for this challenge. I plan to work on both Ukrainian and Polish :)

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4911 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 38 of 151
27 December 2013 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
(Cross-post from "TAC 2013 Polish - Team Żubr")

Not sure if you guys are interested in collocations, but in case you are, there is an excellent online resource available: the Narodowy Korpus Języka Polskiego.

For instance, a search for "książka" gives the following collocations:
książka adresowa
książka kucharska
najnowsza książka
książka ukazała
tania książka
książka zawiera
ulubiona książka
książka o
... and many more

A search for "granica" gives:
górna granica
granica biegnie
granica skręca
dolna granica
granica między
wschodnia granica
... and many more

The results are sorted by significance.

If you click on one of the results, you get additional information and examples, for instance clicking on "granica między" gives
granica między dobrem a złem
granica między sztuką a rzeczywistością
granica między życiem a śmiercią jest bardzo cienka
Zdaniem wójta Mikulicza granica między gminą Kunice a Legnicą powinna przebiegać wzdłuż potoku Wierzbiak
Granica między Tadżykistanem i Afganistanem ciągnie się przez 1,5 tys. km, wzdłuż rzek Piandż i Amu-daria
... and so on. For each of those examples, the full paragraph the expression is coming from is availabe. Note the use of "a" versus "i".

There's also Korpus Języka Polskiego Wydawnictwa Naukowego PWN which shows occurrences for all forms of a given search term (declensions, conjugations), but doesn't seem to have the powerful statistics provided by NJKP.

I personally like to play around with corpora, and in particular collocations, when I struggle with a particular word for one reason or the other. Looking at a few examples, and maybe adding them to Anki, can do wonders. Looking up, or checking, collocations is also useful when writing essays.
3 persons have voted this message useful

rahdonit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6395 days ago

50 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English, German

Message 39 of 151
30 December 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Good wishes to everybody starting with Ukrainian (and Polish)!
Please count on my help with Ukrainian, if I miss some questions in your logs, please feel free to pm me.

Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4640 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 40 of 151
30 December 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Well, I won't join the team (even if I really like Ukrainian and, who knows, maybe I'll visit Kiev next year?), but I'll be eager to help you with Polish. If you'll need any advice - just PM me (since I don't check all of the threads)

P.S. I really, really like your motto.
P.S. Oh, + we can arrange a Skype conversation someday. Just not with people from the West Coast I'm afraid...

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version