Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’14: Sokoły / Соколи (Pol./Ukr. Team)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
151 messages over 19 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 18 19 Next >>
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 151
11 December 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
It's interesting to me that there's a bias toward Ukrainian although that might be explained by the novelty of it. On the other hand it would be tough to get a hold of a guardian angel. Anyone who's stuck on some aspect of the language may need to post on Unilang's Ukrainian forum if he/she can't get help from someone here or his/her own reference material.

Fuenf_Katzen, I warn you to be on your toes as you rotate your studies between Polish and Ukrainian. You may find the Ukrainian characteristics unintuitive because of your base in Polish - particuarly noticeable would be your pronunciation (Ukrainian stress is not fixed and has some vowel reduction whereas Polish stress is often fixed and shows little to no vowel reduction) and sometimes recasting Polish words as Ukrainian ones because the former comes more readily to you (cf. that article about how heterogeneous Ukrainian is).
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 151
11 December 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
How comfortable are people other than Serpent and I (and maybe Fuenf_Katzen?) when it comes to writing an individual sentence in Polish and/or Ukrainian along the lines of "I see the car in the street" or "That's not a car. It's a truck." with the help of a dictionary and/or explanations from a book or online description of the relevant grammar?

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5143 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 11 of 151
11 December 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
It's interesting to me that there's a bias toward Ukrainian although that might be explained by the novelty of it.

My own reasons are -

1. I've been really keen to learn a language with the Cyrillic alphabet for a long time and Russian just feels too mainstream.

2. There are lots of Ukrainians here in the Czech Republic.

3. My father-in-law grew up near the Slovak border with Ukraine and his dialect of Slovak has a strong Ukrainian influence. He also learned the language at school and still understands it completely, so someone to practise with.

4. I'm going to Ukraine for 7-10 days next Summer.

Looking at who will be in the team or observing is another bonus. 3 legends of HTLAL and it seems that Fuenf Katzen will also be a good, consistent teammate, having just read her blog from this year.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 151
12 December 2013 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
How comfortable are people other than Serpent and I (and maybe Fuenf_Katzen?) when it
comes to writing an individual sentence in Polish and/or Ukrainian along the lines of "I see the car in the
street" or "That's not a car. It's a truck." with the help of a dictionary and/or explanations from a book or online
description of the relevant grammar?

Oh I'd be very comfortable, as soon as I get back to Norway and find a book I can copy it from :-)

Seriously, I could not write a sentence in either language right now to save my life. My Ukrainian is non-
existent. I can say (but as you see not write) thank you (djakuio), yes (tak) language (mova) be careful
(uwaga) -and only because I know that one through Polish - and what( sho sho).

My Polish is also non-existent until I start to get stressed while attempting to speak Russian, and my brain
goes into panic mode and I start spurting out Polish words.

Those would typically be things like (and brace yourself for the spelling here) Dobry djenj, dobry vjecjor,
dobranoc, djenkujem, nazyvam cię Cristina, Kocham cię, nie, tak, mam ças, nie mam casu, psheprasham,
kochanie, panstvo, ne vjem, nie rozumiem, ja nie movie po polsku, gdje, co to jest, kto to jest, To jest
kionska (which is supposed to be book, but I provide the translation since the spelling is even more horrific
than on the other words) sklanka, djevetshka. And I can count to ten - possibly to a 100 if the panic attack
was strong enough. Ok. I think I'll stop there before I embarrass myself so horribly that I will not dare to post
anything ever again.

The reason why I lean towards Ukrainian is that I feel a strong connection to Ukraine, I have been there four
times in three years, I have very good friends there that I consider family, and I hope to go there again next
year. I also have some resources for Ukrainian - a couple of courses and a few films where I can change the
subtitles to Ukrainian- I can write a more complete list when I get home.

Since I need to get my Russian to a half decent level, I have chosen not to try to learn Ukrainian so far, but at
least I could follow what the rest of you do. And for the level I am at, I am sure that you others can help me
with what few questions I might have :-)

And Polish - ah - Polish is also close to my heart. I met my husband in a Polish course, and I also have Polish
friends I care very deeply about. I have been to Poland 5 -6 times. I do however only have resources that are
quite literally from the last century ( a book and a cassette) so it is not something I plan to study now.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 151
12 December 2013 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Those would typically be things like (and brace yourself for the spelling here) Dobry djenj, dobry vjecjor, dobranoc, djenkujem, nazyvam cię Cristina, Kocham cię, nie, tak, mam ças, nie mam casu, psheprasham, kochanie, panstvo, ne vjem, nie rozumiem, ja nie movie po polsku, gdje, co to jest, kto to jest, To jest kionska (which is supposed to be book, but I provide the translation since the spelling is even more horrific than on the other words) sklanka, djevetshka. And I can count to ten - possibly to a 100 if the panic attack was strong enough. Ok. I think I'll stop there before I embarrass myself so horribly that I will not dare to post anything ever again.
Let me boost my self-esteem after realizing I don't know the Polish for truck and couldn't remember either of the Finnish words I know (I think I'd remember at least one if given the word in Russian and not English).

So first of all, it's never v, always w. j is used for the actual sound and not the palatalization.
So nazywam, państwo, nie wiem.
ę is nasal e and ą is nasal a (pronounced more like o). Hence książka.

Finally, the lovely consonants! sh is sz, zh is ż or rz (and all the countless psh is written as prz because it's voiceless after p), hard ch is cz while soft ch is ć. the voiced cz is dż (not present in your words), the voiced ć is dź. in russian these tend to correspond to soft т and д respectively. ś is similar to щ, it's considered a soft sz. but if a soft consonant is not the end of the wor(l)d, it's written as ci, si, zi (soft ż, not like зь) etc, and same happens with b, p, m. btw, ki, ti, ri never occur. (btw cię and ci are forms of ty. -ся/-сь is basically się. So nazywam się. I think *I* can say "nazywam cię Cristina")

Combined with the above, you get dzień, dziękuję, czas, przepraszam, gdzie, szklanka. and dziewczyna.

and then u which used to be o is written as ó. i wish you Scandinavians did that :PPP
So wieczór and mówię.

I'm just having fun here! I'm impressed you remember so much. Please don't take that as criticism but just as the desire to spread the love :)

Edited by Serpent on 12 December 2013 at 2:12pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 151
12 December 2013 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Those would typically be things like (and brace yourself for the
spelling here) Dobry djenj, dobry vjecjor, dobranoc, djenkujem, nazyvam cię Cristina, Kocham cię, nie, tak,
mam ças, nie mam casu, psheprasham, kochanie, panstvo, ne vjem, nie rozumiem, ja nie movie po polsku,
gdje, co to jest, kto to jest, To jest kionska (which is supposed to be book, but I provide the translation since
the spelling is even more horrific than on the other words) sklanka, djevetshka. And I can count to ten -
possibly to a 100 if the panic attack was strong enough. Ok. I think I'll stop there before I embarrass myself so
horribly that I will not dare to post anything ever again.
Let me boost my self-esteem after realizing I don't know the Polish for truck and couldn't remember
either of the Finnish words I know (I think I'd remember at least one if given the word in Russian and not 
English).

So first of all, it's never v, always w. j is used for the actual sound and not the palatalization.
So nazywam, państwo, nie wiem.
ę is nasal e and ą is nasal a (pronounced more like o). Hence książka.

Finally, the lovely consonants! sh is sz, zh is ż or rz (and all the countless psh is written as prz because it's
voiceless after p), hard ch is cz while soft ch is ć. the voiced cz is dż (not present in your words), the voiced ć
is dź. in russian these tend to correspond to soft т and д respectively. ś is similar to щ, it's considered a soft
sz. but if a soft consonant is not the end of the wor(l)d, it's written as ci, si, zi (soft ż, not like зь) etc, and
same happens with b, p, m. btw, ki, ti, ri never occur. (btw cię and ci are forms of ty. -ся/-сь is basically się.
So nazywam się. I think *I* can say "nazywam cię Cristina")

Combined with the above, you get dzień, dziękuję, czas, przeprazsam, gdzie, szklanka. and dziewczkyna.

and then u which used to be o is written as ó. i wish you Scandinavians did that :PPP
So wieczór and mówię.

I'm just having fun here! I'm impressed you remember so much. Please don't take that as criticism but just as
the desire to spread the love :)

I am just happy for the corrections. Thank you! This is my linguistic version of an AA meeting where you
stand up admitting that you're an alcoholic, and then detail HOW you are an alcoholic, the idea being that you
cannot change what you cannot acknowledge.

You have now seen my worst, so it can only get better from here :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 15 of 151
12 December 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
How comfortable are people other than Serpent and I (and maybe Fuenf_Katzen?) when it comes to writing an individual sentence in Polish and/or Ukrainian along the lines of "I see the car in the street" or "That's not a car. It's a truck." with the help of a dictionary and/or explanations from a book or online description of the relevant grammar?

I could surely do that, yes. Has anybody anywhere mentioned the idea of having a Polish-only team? Or even a Polish-Hungarian one (I know they're not related, but "Lengyel, magyar — két jó barát, együtt harcol s issza borát."..)?

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5143 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 16 of 151
12 December 2013 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

I could in Polish, but it wouldn't be comfortable and it would have to be simple and I'd probably need a dictionary.

My Ukrainian is non-existant and my Cyrillic alphabet knowledge is also very weak, so no way.

Why?

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version