Relative rarity of Norwegian texts

Tags: Norwegian
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5037 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 1 of 6
11 December 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
I've noticed something that strikes me as rather peculiar: compared to the ease with which I can find Swedish and Danish texts in other countries, it is quite hard to come across Norwegian texts outside of Norway. This struck me when I was in the Dasa Book Cafe in Bangkok recently (a great used bookstore with a whole top floor of books in languages other than English). They had a healthy selection of books in both Swedish and Danish, but next to none in Norwegian. Thinking back, this seems to be a constant in used bookstores. Also, I've noticed that Audible offers about 400+ audiobooks each in Swedish and in Danish, but none in Norwegian.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Any theories as to why this might be the case?
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5131 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 6
11 December 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:
I've noticed something that strikes me as rather peculiar: compared to the ease with which I can find Swedish and Danish texts in other countries, it is quite hard to come across Norwegian texts outside of Norway.

I don't have any theories, but if you have a tablet or an eBook reader, check out MobileRead, one user, SBT, so far has uploaded 90+ Norwegian ePub books, mostly PD novels, but also some non-fiction.
To display them visit MobileRead and search for [Norwegian].

Edited by Doitsujin on 11 December 2013 at 10:45am

4 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4489 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 6
11 December 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
In London, I'd say it's the exact opposite. I've seen dozens of books (novels, non-fictions..) in Norwegian, and never ever have I seen a Danish or a Swedish book in a used book store.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4450 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 4 of 6
11 December 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
If we're talking about used books, I guess it all depends on the place and whether there are many Norwegians living there or not. London (and the UK generally) is a very popular destination both for tourists and students, and I believe quite a few Norwegian expats work in London as well, so it's not surprising that you find Norwegian second-hand books there.

Where I live there are more Swedes than Norwegians, and I have come across the occasional Swedish used book, but so far never a Norwegian one.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4479 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 5 of 6
11 December 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:
This struck me when I was in the Dasa Book Cafe in Bangkok recently (a great used bookstore with a whole top floor of books in languages other than English). They had a healthy selection of books in both Swedish and Danish, but next to none in Norwegian.   

It's because Thailand is the most popular tourist destination with the Swedish.
Gran Canaria is the most popular tourist destination for Norwegians.

Edited by Medulin on 11 December 2013 at 3:39pm

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5037 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 6 of 6
12 December 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
The explanations you all have given - that it has to do with tourist demographics - make
perfect sense for the random selection that can be found in any given used bookstore
around the world. I still wonder about the selection on Audible, though. I checked
again just to be sure, and they've got 689 Swedish audiobooks, 394 Danish audiobooks, and
0 Norwegian ones. Why should that be? Is there some other source for Norwegian
audiobooks that has cornered the market?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version