Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 82 of 266
04 January 2014 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Anybody have any suggestions for a January challenge?

Maybe we could find some of our favorite links and post them here, maybe do a review as well?

I'd vote for that. Links, reviews and experiences sharing.

Normal routine is still one month ahead for me, though.
1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4307 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 83 of 266
04 January 2014 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Anybody have any suggestions for a January challenge?

I think last year's challenge was writing a few sentences as an intro in the team thread, but that's too far out of reach
for me, seeing as how I just started learning in Oct.

Maybe we could find some of our favorite links and post them here, maybe do a review as well? It looks like that's
aready off to a good start. Zhongwen Popup Dictionary and
Skritter have already been mentioned. I can start to add all these little gems
on on the first page!

Any other suggestions how we can challenge ourselves -- other than recovering from the holidays and getting back
into our normal routine? ;)

I like the challenge idea of an intro, maybe we could choose either written or spoken. The links idea is also great,
and then maybe all of the links could be put onto the first page for easy access? May also be an idea to include iOS
and Android apps, as so many people use their phones/tablets as language learning aids these days. I will try and
throw up some links for things I use tomorrow, but it's late here now and I am off to bed!

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 84 of 266
04 January 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
I also like the idea of an intro. People who are complete beginners can keep it dead simple. 'My name is...I am from...I speak...

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 85 of 266
05 January 2014 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
For the January challenge, I'd be up for the intro. I'd like to do a (rather) thorough
one in Chinese this year as a REAL challenge and not some half-assed intro like I did
last year.

If you want some links, I just found one a few days ago. It's from a company I'm about to
apply to for an internship. I checked it out and it seems pretty neat. Here goes :
Lingogracy
2 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4307 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 86 of 266
05 January 2014 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
For the January challenge, I'd be up for the intro. I'd like to do a (rather) thorough
one in Chinese this year as a REAL challenge and not some half-assed intro like I did
last year.

If you want some links, I just found one a few days ago. It's from a company I'm about to
apply to for an internship. I checked it out and it seems pretty neat. Here goes :
Lingogracy

Website looks cool, looking forward to checking this out! Also regarding the challenge, I feel the same way. Both
my intro at the beginning of the year and my final challenge writing piece were pretty half assed to be honest. It's
time to start trying to go a bit deeper, i'd rather try something above my level and get it wrong than stick to what I
know just to get it right!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4307 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 87 of 266
05 January 2014 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
A few other resources:

I am planning on using Chinese Grammar
Wiki
for grammar this year.

Chineseclass101 and Chinesepod have a few free bits and pieces I think, and i'm sure there are plenty of reviews on
the forum. I know Ari's Chinesepod method worked really well for him, and others have tried variations of it.

MDBG is my goto online dictionary. It's great because it'll
also link words in to example sentences via Jukuu, which is a great resource also,
especially if you want to put words into context/sentences for an anki deck.

Pleco is available on both Android and iOS and is fantastic. You can buy in app upgrades, I got the optical character
reader and the flashcards. I can use the camera on my phone and it will tell me the pronunciation and meaning of
any character I point it at, I can also add words into a flashcard system on there which is great.

I found Pimsleur, MT and Assimil to be a good starting set of materials for me. I haven't used the Chinese Made
Easier series for a while, but I also find those to be very good.

Weibo is a kind of Chinese
twitter I think, I have just signed up and have it on my phone.

I also have iNTD TV which allows me to stream Chinese TV.

Looking at all these available resources, it's depressing that my Chinese is so poor!
3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4041 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 88 of 266
05 January 2014 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
I'm not able to use this recourse myself since it focused on Simplified characters (it shows traditional ones too, but is focused more on simplfied), but I found this website when trying to figure out good ways to learn how different radicals functioned. Looks like a really fun beginner resource.

http://www.chtsai.net/radicals/

Edited by YnEoS on 05 January 2014 at 5:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version