Joined 5866 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 105 of 266
19 January 2014 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
Yes, I still have the problem, even when leaving out blank spaces. How do I use Chinese punctuation?

Here's a virtual keyboard in chinese that will give you an idea of where the punctuation marks are located. I have a German keyboard so the layout is different. I had to play around a bit before I found the question mark.

As for the black boxes, try typing some text in Mandarin and posting a link to it in the Technical Room of this forum. Edit: Here's the thread.

PS: here's my attempt at a few sentences in Mandarin. They've been modified from Assimil-standard sentences. This took me a really long time *wheez*.

我姓苏珊,叫诺伊曼。下个十月就开始了。汉 子不容易学,可是我每天学习。我要三个孩子 。他们需要花很多时间。

My name is sū shān nuòyīmàn. Learning hanzi is not easy but I study every day. I have three kids. They demand a lot of time (attention).

So simple and yet it took for-ev-er. I'm not ready for output yet! ^^

Edited by Sunja on 19 January 2014 at 5:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5613 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 106 of 266
19 January 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
I usually use inputking, but I'll give that one a try. Thanks.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4301 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 107 of 266
21 January 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
大家好!我的名字是 Jonny 和我是英国人,可是我现在住在柬埔寨。我是 二十五岁和我也有一位二月半的儿子。我还没 去过中
国, 可是有找一日我很想去因为中国的文学和语言 对我很有趣。这年我想进步我的听力,因为现 在它相当不好了。 可惜我的语法
是一样。我需要更好的理解关于用词在它对的 语境。我的简介可能不太好了,可是我想挑战 自己,所以我包括一些不太熟悉的汉
字和一些不太清楚怎么用的词。我也要放我的 简介在 lang-8 得上以便改善,可是我先想在这呈报即使我觉 得它会有很多错误!
我很激动这年我可以跟你们在一样的团队,和 我希望我们可以一起进步!

This is what I was going for:
Hey everyone! My name is Jonny and I am English, but now I live in Cambodia. I'm 25 and I have a 2.5 month old
son. I have never been to China, but one day I would really love to go as the culture and the language both really
interest me. This year I really want to improve my listening, as right now it's fairly poor. Unfortunately my grammar
is the same. I also need a better understanding of using words in the right context. My introduction probably isn't
all that good, but I wanted to try and stretch myself and so I have included characters that I am not yet familiar with,
as well as vocabulary that i'm not certain of how to use. I am also going to put this on lang-8 for corrections, but I
wanted to submit it here first, even though I am sure there are many mistakes! I am excited about being on the
same team as you all this year, and I hope we can all improve together!

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5663 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 108 of 266
22 January 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
你们好。我是巴西人。我沒有中文名字。我很 喜欢中囯文化,但是我不会说汉语。

Hello Team 鹊! My name is Fernando, I'm from Brazil and hope to learn lots of Mandarin in 2014 together with you. As you can see, I'm not yet able to write much in Mandarin. At this point, my character knowledge is about 600, with 90% successful recognition probability.

I won't be putting much effort on active skills this year, because my main goal at this moment is to be able read and listen.

I'd like to share two links that I think to be very interesting:

A seires of videos about Chinese etymology by Vlad, who is a member of this forum, but doesn't seem to be as active as before.

An iPhone app for stroke order and writing. It also means that I'm not totally ignoring productive skills.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3797 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 109 of 266
22 January 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I just realized january is almost over and I haven't yet posted my self introduction. Sorry! It' a little rushed and I didn't get it corrected before I posted it, so if you spot mistakes let me know.

大家好,我叫Ninibo,来自德国。我二十多岁。
我几年学了中文,但是我对学习语言比较糊里 糊涂,所以我有的时候是一位很好的学生有的
时候是一位很懒的学生。。。很可惜。除了汉 语以外我也想试图改善我的法语阅读理解水平 。
这一年我想要跟你们一起提高我的汉语水平。 去年我的学习方法太被动了,
所以今年我打算 进步我的写作会话能力。我用外语的时候很害 羞,有点儿怕犯错。
希望我今年战胜这样的焦 虑,习惯跟别人用汉语说话。
我还有另外一个目标:今年也是我的【阅读年 纪】。我不正式地参加Super   Challen ge,但是我也想读一万多页,
为了成功这 个挑战我每天应该读三十页。今天我把我的第 二本书看好了,我感到很自豪!
总而言之,我的汉语还很差,但是我想努力学 习好好进步水平。

"Hello everyone, I am Ninibo. I'm from Germany, and I'm 20-something years old. I have studied Chinese for a few years, but i'm rather confused, when it comes to studying languages, so sometimes I'm a good student and sometimes I'm a lazy student. That's too bad. Apart from Chinese I also want to try to improve my reading comprehension in French.
This year I want to improve my Chinese level together with you all. Last year my study methods were too passive, so this year I plan on improving my writing and speaking skills. When using foreign languages I'm rather shy and afraid of making mistakes. I hope this year I can overcome these fears and get used to speak with others in Chinese.
I also have another goal: this year is my "reading year". I'm not officially joining the super challenge, but I want to read 10000 pages, too. To pass this callenge i should read about thirty pages a day. Today I finished my second book in Chinese. I'm a little proud!
In short, my Chinese is till pretty bad, but i want to study hard and improve my level.

[edit] formatting

Edited by Ninibo on 22 January 2014 at 10:33pm

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 110 of 266
24 January 2014 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
I hope you don't mind some comments :) Please take it with a grain of salt as my Chinese isn't that great, but i thought i'd try to help out a bit if i could:
Sunja wrote:
我姓苏珊,叫诺伊曼。下个十月就开始了。汉 子不容易学,可是我每天学习。我要三个孩子 。他们需要花很多时间。
下个月 is next month, 上个月 would be last month :)
汉字, not 汉子 (汉子 is like a "man" or "guy")
I don't know if you meant 要 or 有, at least i've never seen 要 used that way.

js6426 wrote:
大家好!我的名字是 Jonny 和我是英国人,可是我现在住在柬埔寨。我是 二十五岁和我也有一位二月半的儿子。我还没 去过中
国, 可是有找一日我很想去因为中国的文学和语言 对我很有趣。这年我想进步我的听力,因为现 在它相当不好了。 可惜我的语法
是一样。我需要更好的理解关于用词在它对的 语境。我的简介可能不太好了,可是我想挑战 自己,所以我包括一些不太熟悉的汉
字和一些不太清楚怎么用的词。我也要放我的 简介在 lang-8 得上以便改善,可是我先想在这呈报即使我觉 得它会有很多错误!
我的名字是 Jonny 和我是英国人,可是我现在住在柬埔寨。
In Chinese they don't really connect sentences with 'and' like we do all the time in English. I'd just say "我的名字叫Jonny。我是英国人,可是..."

我是 二十五岁和我也有一位二月半的儿子。
To me this sounds better without the 是 (or using 有 instead) and you could do without the 和. 位 is a bit formal for a baby (宝宝), and it should be "两个半月"

可是有找一日我很想去因为中国的文学和语言 对我很有趣。
I'm not sure what the 找 is doing here. Perhaps "有一日我很想去..." Also, 中国 is just the country, not the language.

这年我想进步我的听力,因为现 在它相当不好了。
I think "this year" should be 今年. 进步 is more like progress, you can make progress or you can progress, but i don't think it's a transitive verb. Try 改善 or 提高. You don't need the 了 at the end, either.

可惜我的语法是一样。
I would add a 的 at the end or remove the 是

我需要更好的理解关于用词在它对的 语境。
更好-地-理解 (it's the same sound, just a different character: 的,地,得)
I'm not that sure how to say the rest, maybe "我需要更好地理解在什么语境下使用词语"?

我的简介可能不太好了,可是我想挑战 自己,所以我包括一些不太熟悉的汉字和一些 不太清楚怎么用的词。
I don't think you need the 了 in a negative sentence, the 了 is an emphasizer and here you're not emphasizing anything.

我也要放我的 简介在 lang-8 得上以便改善,可是我先想在这呈报即使我觉 得它会有很多错误!
I think you need to use 把 here: 我也要把我的简介放在Lang-8上

I think 激动 is more something that excites, i would try 兴奋 (and 今年), altogether: "今年跟你们一起组织一个队让我很兴奋,我 望..."
2 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4301 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer

Message 111 of 266
24 January 2014 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks Crush! A lot of your corrections are similar to what I got on Lang-8 which is really encouraging! I have a
question relating to the part where you said about 中国 just being the country and not the language. In a sentence
where I am saying 'the Chinese culture and language interest me', is it not ok to say 中国的文化和语言 (also for some
reason in my intro I put Chinese literature when I meant to write culture!)? I realise 中国 is just the country, but I
assumed that if I was talking about both the Chinese culture and language it was ok to do it in that way. Would it
have been better to say - 中国的文化和中文?

The correction I got on Lang-8 for the better understanding of words in their correct context was - 我需要更好的理解
用词和它的语境。

Anyway, thanks a ton for taking the time to help with corrections! I have learnt new things, which makes the
challenge totally worth it in my opinion!

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 112 of 266
24 January 2014 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
You're totally right, i misread that as "语法", sorry! I'm glad you pointed that out :)

The better understanding of words/their context still sounds a bit odd to me, and i think you would use 地 there, since 地's generally used to modify a verb. 的 generally modifies nouns. In speech it doesn't really matter, since they're all pronounced the same. I guess i'll leave that one for someone with a better... understanding ;)

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version