Joined 4476 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 9 of 266
11 December 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
If we decide to stay traditional, I'm suggesting Team "Tiger"

If we want to go in a different direction, how about: Team "Scroll"

I'm super excited to get started on this amazing journey with you guys (and girls)!
1 person has voted this message useful

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4143 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 266
11 December 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Ooh, I think I like the idea of staying traditional with Team Tiger... though that may be
because I can actually write that character ;). It's also the Year of the Horse next
year, so Team Horse could be a suggestion?

I'm really excited to be part of the Chinese team in 2014! I was a bit hit-and-miss last
year but I think focussing on one team and particularly this language will help this
time. The team was (and is) awesome - I think we can keep that up :).

Incidentally, if we're keeping the idea of druckfehler's monthly challenges, I think
doing introductions in January/December (like the team has done this year) is a good way
to ease everyone into TAC and to see how we've improved over the year. It might be that
someone has a different idea for these months, though.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 266
11 December 2013 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
The suggestions were posted on this page of the thread.

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 12 of 266
11 December 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The suggestions were posted on this page of the thread.

From that thread, I really like: 鹊 – magpie /bird “attracts joy connected to the unity of people”

I'd like to change my vote to Team Magpie!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4307 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 266
12 December 2013 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I also forgot to introduce myself - my name is Jonny, I am 25 and I live in Cambodia, but I am English. I have a 5
week old son, and so while learning Chinese has definitely become a passion of mine, it has taken a back seat for
the time being, as being a father is infinitely more important to me. I have no idea where I would put my Chinese
level. I know about 1500 Hanzi to read and write, have a vocab of maybe 2500 words. I can string together some
sentences, often with terrible grammar, and my listening is terrible! I would love to be able to speak Cantonese, but
I want to get my Mandarin to a far better level first.

As for the team name, i'd like to vote for Team Magpie, and I gave a couple of reasons in the team name thread! All
in all I am super excited for this year, and I am already getting the feeling that this is going to be a great team! I
guess there's just something special about Chinese learners :D

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3803 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 266
12 December 2013 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
I'm happy with whatever name gets picked, but Magpie would nicely continue the bird theme from last year.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5872 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 15 of 266
12 December 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Not to interrupt the current voting, but mrwarper and Serpent brought up the issue of the TAC titles being redundant and "ugly"

mrwarper wrote:
Serpent wrote:
About thread titles: would it bother anyone if it was officially not required to put the letters TAC 2014 in log titles? They take up a lot of space and frankly they're just ugly.

Frankly, this is the kind of thing that pisses me off to no end. However, please let me explain myself before we have some kind of unnecessary confrontation ;)

I think logs related to TAC 2014 (or anything else for that matter) should clearly identify themselves to that effect, so when looking for similarly-themed stuff you still have a chance to spot the ones you don't know yet. That said, I don't think it's important how they identify themselves as long as it's clearly stated somewhere so everybody knows what means what. Many people have shortened it to "TAC'14" or "TAC14" which is somewhat shorter yet still obvious.

If you ask me, I'd officially require to appropriately tag the log if "TAC" is to be dropped from the title -- I think this is not too demanding while feasible already. WRT years, I'd better keep them in the title. After all, you can always write '11–14' instead of "'11, 12, 13, 14" to save space if necessary.

If you're OK with this or have any other reasonable alternatives, I'll be perfectly happy with log titles not having "TAC 2014" in them :)

Quote:
One more important reason is that if you have many tabs open, you'll have no clue which is which.

Spot on. While you can still hover your mouse above the tabs to have the titles pop up, perhaps people who include the letters could do it at the end or in the middle of their titles. Maybe it could even be an official requirement...

So I tried a new title -- I just put TAC at the end

let me know if this works better.   

PS: when we decide on our name I'll put it in the title and it will be much easier for us to find ;)

Edited by Sunja on 12 December 2013 at 12:18pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5872 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 16 of 266
12 December 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Just to recap, the name suggestions are

鹰 – eagle “strength” (another flying creature)
鹊 – magpie /bird “attracts joy connected to the unity of people” (I like this one not only for the symbolism but it’s also a common bird where I live)
苍鹭 – heron „wishing for positive future, success in ones doing“
大象 - elephant "strength, astuteness"
蝙蝠 - bat (luck, among other things)

Silbermond suggested tiger 老虎 and horse 马 since it will be the Year of the Horse.

Anyone else care to vote? No rush :)

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version