proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 169 of 266
16 February 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I like the 100 idea for March, I can probably read 100 pages of my various Chinese Breezes throughout March and knock most of 'em finally off.

For this month, I don't listen to much Chinese music. I can barely remember English lyrics, Chinese is not going to be any better. But! It occurred to me that one of the shows my wife and I are watching had an important song sung by one of the characters in it about 30 episodes back, so, I'll do that.

The song is on the youtube: http://youtu.be/5eKM5jyx5VU

The name of the show is Huan Zhu Ge Ge (Princess Returning Pearl), the remake.

The lyrics to the first verse of the song are right in the beginning of the novel, so at least that much wasn't made up for the show, which was something I was curious about when I first heard it. I don't know if it's some traditional thing or if the novel is where it was made up.

The girl singing the song is the illegitimate daughter of the emperor. Her now-dead mother had taught her the song and it's all sad and mopey. But basically I like the tune - I think she's playing a 古箏 (gǔzhēng).

Most of the actual words in the lyrics seem fairly low-level. But, they are arranged like poetry and missing all the subjects and thus fairly hard (for me, anyway) to figure out. But here's my best shot:

山也迢迢
shān yě tiáo tiáo
The mountains are remote.

水也迢迢
shuǐ yě tiáo tiáo
The water is remote.

山水迢迢路遥遥
shān shuǐ tiáo tiáo lù yáo yáo
The remote mountains and water are down a distant road.

盼过昨宵
pàn guò zuó xiāo
I hoped yesterday night.

又盼今朝
yòu pàn jīn zhāo
I again hope right now.

盼来盼去魂也消
pàn lái pàn qù hún yě xiāo
Hope comes, hope goes, and disappears.

(guitar solo)

梦也渺渺
mèng yě miǎo miǎo
Dreams are insignificant.

人也渺渺
rén yě miǎo miǎo
People are insignificant.

天若有情天亦老
tiān ruò yǒu qíng tiān yì lǎo
The day seems like having the feeling of heaven all the time.

歌不成歌
gē bù chéng gē
The song can't change the song.

调不成调
diào bù chéng diào
The melody can't change the melody.

风雨潇潇愁多少
fēng yǔ xiāo xiāo chóu duō shǎo
The wind & rain, and sound of wind and rain, I worry about how much.

愁多少
chóu duō shǎo
Worry about how much.

Cheery, right? :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 170 of 266
16 February 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Oops, forgot to make that link clickable and I'm afraid editing will mess up the hanzi. Song link
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 171 of 266
16 February 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Wow, nice work! You're much braver than i am :)

One of my favorite songs was the intro song to the 2006 version of 神雕侠侣 (Return of the Condor Heroes)

EDIT: Also, then i guess we'll go for the 100 of your choice idea for March, unless anyone's got any objections.

Edited by Crush on 16 February 2014 at 8:17pm

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 172 of 266
16 February 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Haha, well I'm fairly sure most of that song is well over my head. Like, why are all those 也s in there? They don't make sense as 'also'. Maybe just to pad out the line to four characters? :)

And the dictionary claims that 风雨, in addition to just 'wind & rain' can mean 'trials and hardships', which this song is definitely about, but then in the same line it refers to the actual sound of wind and rain with 潇. Clearly there is something going on in these lyrics that is way beyond me. :P

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 173 of 266
16 February 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I think "wind and rain" can be symbols for "trials and hardships", so that meaning seems pretty close. I'm not really sure what the 也 is doing here, either, but 也 is often used to add an emphasis to things. Or maybe it's used like "X is ..., Y is also ...".

Also, 山水 can also refer to a landscape, i'm not sure how it's meant here. I guess a lot of this stuff might not really matter to a Mandarin speaker.

I also wonder if 多少 is used as "how much" or perhaps like "oh, how i worry..."

That song is way over my head, too. It's really pretty, though :)

EDIT: I found someone else's translation online. Yours seems to match up pretty well with theirs, though they seem to have taken a couple liberties here and there.

Edited by Crush on 16 February 2014 at 10:49pm

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 174 of 266
16 February 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Haha, I knew I should have done a Google Search. :P

I wonder why they used the traditional characters there - whoever typed them out in the youtube comments of the video I linked used em too. It's a mainland show, after all. There aren't any that are really too different, but it just sort of seemed odd.

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3792 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 175 of 266
17 February 2014 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Hi, @proudft, @Crush:
You have certainly analyzed this more than native speakers (Crush is right too… This stuff isn’t really matter to us native speakers ;-) Here are my two cents.

I agree that 也 is used to add an emphasis to things (=也是). Those two verses can be read as:
山也迢迢> How remote the mountains are!
水也迢迢> How remote the water is!

+++

“多少” in “愁多少” is used as “how much”. 风雨潇潇愁多少 is actually an interrogative sentence. It’s similar to the “How much + auxiliary (or do/does)…?” structure. So, the translation in the link provided by @Crush (“How deep is my anxiety?”) is quite accurate.

“xxx多少” is a rhetorical expression that is commonly used in classical Chinese poetry in Tang Dynasty and Song (唐诗宋词). Here are a couple of examples:

花落知多少//Who knows how many petals had fallen?
往事知多少//How many past events have I known?

Hope this helps:)
-Charles

Edited by PointsDotsLines on 17 February 2014 at 4:54am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 176 of 266
17 February 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks for stopping by, Charles :)

In response to something lorinth said, i can see how studying characters in isolation and the radicals can help out in the beginning, i just kinda picked things up as i went by. I would at least suggest you pay attention to the components that make up characters and start trying to recognize them. It really helps remember them and sort them out later on. You could almost think of them as the character's letters, when you read a sentence you don't read it letter by letter, you look at the whole word and figure it out by its shape. However, if a word is giving you trouble or you've never seen it before, looking at it letter by letter can help clear it up. Maybe it's not a great analogy, but i would still suggest trying to pay attention to the components. They'll often make it easier to remember the pronunciation and meaning. The radicals are even more important if you want to learn how to write characters.

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version