Germany
Joined 3796 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 193 of 266
28 February 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator
Have you tried the New Practical Chinese Reader Series? I think after Volume 3 they are billed as intermediate. The only other intermediate Textbook i know would be Integrated Chinese, i think Level 2 is intermediate.
That said, i have only used the beginner versions of these books, but liked them very much, unless they drastically change their format for intermediate they should also be suited for self-study.
The ones i personally used at that level were the Boya textbooks, but i think those lack a full translation for the texts.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 194 of 266
28 February 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
The problem is they do that :/ At intermediate levels we get longer texts, no pinyin.

I went up to NPCR 2, but it does slow me down. No translation, no pinyins, I have to hear
the unknown words so I can search them. Not to mention the texts with no audio.
Integrated Chinese is more or less the same, and it uses traditional characters (at least
the one I got).

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3796 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 195 of 266
28 February 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Oh, sorry, i didn't think they's be that different.. Boya is definitely mostly Chinese..

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4136 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 196 of 266
28 February 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
@Expungnator Speak Chinese is pretty good and has the tone marks over the characters but no pinyin (except new words) and no full translations for the text as far as I can see... Volume 2 is the same in terms of tone marks, but again it doesn't have the translations/pinyin so I don't know if they'll be useful for you?

I had forgotten entirely about the February challenge until a couple of days ago and found a really nice song... only to find that pretty much all the videos have an English translation on them! (And they're good...) The song is here and is called 为爱而活, but yeah, I've decided to pick the second task if it is still a second task? (I see you all doing your awesome translations out there; this is what I get for leaving it so late I suppose...)

So yes, characters. I think my favourite character is 应 (yīng) from 应该 (yīnggāi - should) because it looks like it has a tiny sort of smiley face in it (and I clearly take what entertainment I can get :P). But yeah, that's how I first learnt to write it; I looked at it and saw a smiley face. It helps that I use it loads at uni as well, so it's one of those that's stuck quite well. (Though we started with 应该 together all the time so sometimes if I see 应 or 该 separately I get a bit confused with the pronunciation.)

My least favourite character is either 赢 (yíng - win; beat) or 入 (rù - go into; join). 赢 because, well, look at it. I don't do traditional characters and this is one of the ones that seems to take up three times as much space when I write it. 入 just because it looks a bit like 人 (rén - person) and I get it mixed up every time.

Is anyone else surprised that it's pretty much almost March already, by the way? I swear 2014 is racing by...

Edited by Silbermond on 28 February 2014 at 11:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5645 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 197 of 266
28 February 2014 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I used NPCR up to NPCR 4 and found it really great. I've heard mixed reviews about NPCR 5 and 6 so i've been a bit hesitant to pick them up. I found in the later books i really didn't need the pinyin and actually appreciated it not being there. That way i knew i was reading the characters and not the pinyin.

What i did was listen to the lesson once without looking at the text. Then i studied the new words. Once i'd looked all the new words over i listened to the text again while reading along. Then i did another quick pass of the new words before reading the text without the audio, just looking at the characters.

Silbermond, that's how i remembered how to write 高兴, because 兴 looks like a smiley face to me :) I also thought that whoever came up with the character for "lazy" had a bad case of "幸灾乐祸", what lazy person would ever take the time to write out "懒"?

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5612 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 198 of 266
01 March 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
@ Expugnator Surely if you're at an intermediate level you shouldn't need to rely on the
pinyin, other than for new words in the vocab lists. How will you ever progress to
native material? I'm looking forward to finishing NCPR any day now and getting rid of
the pinyin crutch when moving on to volume 2.

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3721 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 199 of 266
01 March 2014 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
If this team is still taking entries, I'll make a log accordingly, and dutifully translate a song to catch up. Meanwhile, I'd like to offer an introduction:

我的名字是大卫唱针。通过专业,我是一个语 言的导师。我教:英文,法文,西班牙文,意 大利文,德语和拉丁文。我的母语是英文。当 然,我需要学习:中文,俄文,和阿拉伯文。 我也想学好:瑞典文,挪威文,和丹麦文。

关于我的家人,我有一个妻子和一个儿子。我 们也有一只猫和一条蛇。我喜欢武术,和西洋 棋。我也很喜欢烹饪和旅游。

我学习中国普通话。我目前不知道很多事情。 我可以在一个简单的方式进行通讯。我会提高 。

Note on translation of my name:

I went with "大卫" as a researched recommended phonetic rendering of David - if someone knows if there's a better rendering, that's great. As for Styles, I went with a semantic rendering. I found various options for "Styles" that were unsatisfactory, so went for the deeper meaning - my name itself has historically more to do with the writing implement, the stylus, so I went with "唱针", which also sounds pleasing to the ear. Hopefully it works as I intend it.

Edited by DavidStyles on 01 March 2014 at 12:59am

proudft
United States
Joined 4933 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 200 of 266
01 March 2014 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
The David in NPCR goes by 大为 (dàwéi), but I don't know if that's because they're trying to keep the 'new' character count down or not.

Edited by proudft on 01 March 2014 at 1:21am

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version