Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 17 of 266
12 December 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
I vote for 鹊 – magpie , I like the idea of union behind the name, too :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4116 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 18 of 266
12 December 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
I really like 鹊 too :D, count that as my final vote haha.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4109 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 19 of 266
12 December 2013 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind any of the names.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 20 of 266
12 December 2013 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Excited to be on the Chinese team this year. I hope some more Cantonese learners show up, but since I'm focusing mostly on learning Chinese characters this year, I should have a lot in common with the Mandarin learners as well.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4034 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 21 of 266
13 December 2013 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Although I'm not sure I fully understand how a TAC works, I'd be happy to participate...

From the wikia page about TACs:

Quote:
At the very start please state your current knowledge of your target language(s).

I'd say intermediate: I've passed the HSK4 and, when practicing, for instance, Chinesepod lessons, I usually work on intermediate or upper intermediate podcasts. In CEFR terms, my strongest skill is reading (maybe B2) but my other skills are well behind. I'd say not even B1 for listening comprehension.

Quote:
Work out a plan

As I'm not sure how to assess any progress, I'd rather set a quantitative objective for 2014:
- read 10 novels over the year (including at least 2 on paper)
- log 10 hours/week of listening (any form: from background listening to movies and intensive listening)

Because I have no plan to go and live in China and no Chinese friend or relative, I focus on passive knowledge and input. I'm a father of 4 with a full time job, so my main daily challenge is to create strategies and routines to make the most of every second!

Quote:
You may start a new log or rename an old log.

I'll go on with my old log "Lorinth's log" and I'll rename it as suggested in the wikia page.

Edited by lorinth on 13 December 2013 at 12:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

LangWanderer
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
digintoenglish.com
Joined 4298 days ago

74 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, French, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 266
13 December 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
It's great to be on the team!

I only started Mandarin on December 8th, but since there is quite a good chance I will be living in China from some time next year, I'm attacking the language with all of my strength.

Before this week, I had gone through a couple of the FSI pronunciation and romanisation tapes and the first couple of lessons of New Practical Chinese Reader, but this was several years ago. That might give me a slight head-start on a total newbie in terms of pronunciation, but apart from that, my level is 零 (zero).

I do have a reasonably high level of Japanese, though, so I expect that that will make things a bit easier for me.

My goal is to speak enough Mandarin by the time I arrive in China to a) survive, and b) not be lured into an expat bubble.

Perhaps I will set myself the goal of passing HSK4 in December, but I am less concerned about formal testing than about my quality of life when I am in the country.

As for the name, I'm a bit wary of magpies because I'm Australian and the Australian Magpie is aggressively territorial and often attacks people. However, it sounds as though magpies are friendlier in China! I would be happy with 鹊 as the team name.

Here's to a successful year for everyone!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 23 of 266
13 December 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
LangWanderer wrote:
(...)As for the name, I'm a bit wary of magpies because I'm Australian and the Australian Magpie is aggressively territorial and often attacks people. However, it sounds as though magpies are friendlier in China! I would be happy with 鹊 as the team name. (...)

I always thought this bird was rather pretty so I checked out the German Wiki to find out why it's such a thief. Apparantly according to Germanic mythology the magpie was the messenger of the Goddess of the Underworld, Hel. It the Middle Ages it became known as "a bird bringing bad tidings" and a gallows bird. In contrast to European culture, in Asia this bird is a bringer of luck. Talk about a dual reputation!

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 24 of 266
13 December 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, I've joined up to be in the Chinese team even though my name has been left
out in the 2014 Sign Up thread.

As for the team name, I'm fine with whatever is chosen.

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version