Germany
Joined 5866 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 249 of 266
03 May 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
DavidStyles, that's impressive that you're jumping right into interaction! I'm really hardpressed to push all inhibitions aside and just go for it.

Does anyone have thoughts on a challenge for May?

I'm still grappling with vocabulary so I can't think of anything off-hand that would be worth a challenge, but I'm sure my teammates are full of creative ideas! :)

1 person has voted this message useful

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3733 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 250 of 266
05 May 2014 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Anybody found a way to do the FSI tapes without being attached to the book. I find I am
able to do the c1 and p1 tapes but I cannot do the c2, p2 or d tapes without reference
to the book. There seems to be a reliance on games or activities that require reference
to diagrams that I can't get around. Anybody got any tips for this?

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 251 of 266
06 May 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
I can't really remember what i did now, but i feel like i didn't spend as much time with the workbook, i think i just did those tapes once or twice and moved on. I also just skipped the games and activities as 1) they're really boring and 2) i didn't have anyone to do them with anyway.

I don't remember the drill (D) tapes needing the book, though.

If you really can't sit down for the C/P2 tapes (they're generally pretty short, probably 30 minutes combined) i wouldn't worry too much about it. The main body of the course is in the C1/P1/D tapes in my opinion.

The other option is to print those diagrams out.

dhaubles
Afghanistan
Joined 3733 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 252 of 266
08 May 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks for you advice crush. Given that most of the course is in the c1,p1,d tapes, how
much time should I spend per unit or module? With pimsleur they say move to the next
lesson after 80% comprehension and I can generally progress at a pace of 1 lesson per
day...

A final question on the matter, if I do the p2,c2 exercises where can I check to see
what the answers are (and whether of course I am doing the exercises correctly!)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 253 of 266
10 May 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I think i did most tapes about 4 or 5 times, a couple of them i only did three times because i found them easy, some i only did once or twice because they were so boring. But generally, it was about 4 times per tape if i remember correctly. I did my normal FSI routine and went for around 95% answering correctly and within the spaces alotted.

As for the P2/C2 tapes, i can't recall there being an answer key. I think you just have to figure it out for yourself. For the most part it won't be a problem, but if you do come across a question you're not quite sure about, it's not the end of the world. Just move on. As i said before, the main body of the course is in the other tapes, so i would put more effort into those tapes and use the C2/P2 tapes to sorta judge your comprehension afterwards, sorta like a little quiz or homework or something.

While some of the units were a bit dull, i did find a lot of the information on China, in particular things on the "Great Leap Forward", the "Cultural Revolution", the Four Modernizations (四个现代化) and just the Chinese take on communism in general. Despite a lot of the really dry topics, i did learn a lot that they conveniently skipped over in school and when my Chinese is better i'd like to dig a lot deeper into it all.

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4137 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 254 of 266
12 May 2014 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Hello, team!

Just a thought for this month's challenge: I don't know how many people are taking part
in the Super Challenge, but I am, so I thought it might be a good idea if this month we
shared book/film/TV show recommendations? That way there'll be something for everyone
(because you can watch things with subtitles) and we all have more things to explore.

Plus, it's the 12th already so I thought this might be easier for a lot of people time
commitment-wise :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 255 of 266
12 May 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I am taking part at the Super Challenge, too. I'm still having issues on how to count the number of characters per page - I decided to stick to Tadoku's rule of 400 per page when I read online. I'm also still trying to figure what the most efective ways to read - using both Pera Pera and Google Translator at a computer screen has proved to be the most efective one, but an ebook reader with a built-in dictionary is also a good option.

I don't have much in terms of recommendations - I've simply gathered what others already suggested on their logs. What I recommend is to search for 'Chinese-English subitles' at Youtube so that you get lots of films with double subtitles, like The Vietnamese Wife.

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3722 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 256 of 266
24 June 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, back to Chinese after a short mostly-work-related break, and nothing here since the 12th of May?

In the category of movies, I know only martial arts movies in Chinese, but have at least lately watched 臥虎藏龍 and 英雄, making an effort to follow along as well as I can (although a lot of vocabulary is well beyond my knowledge for the moment).

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version