Joined 4297 days ago

74 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, French, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 266
14 December 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I always thought this bird was rather pretty so I checked out the German Wiki to find out why it's such a thief. Apparantly according to Germanic mythology the magpie was the messenger of the Goddess of the Underworld, Hel. It the Middle Ages it became known as "a bird bringing bad tidings" and a gallows bird. In contrast to European culture, in Asia this bird is a bringer of luck. Talk about a dual reputation!

Well, if our team does end up as Team Magpie, let's hope that we get one of the nice magpies as our mascot!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5844 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 26 of 266
14 December 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Hey everyone, I've joined up to be in the Chinese team even though my name has been left
out in the 2014 Sign Up thread.

As for the team name, I'm fine with whatever is chosen.

Great! I added your name to the first post.

In case anyone wonders why ellasevia's name is missing, I deleted it. (I pm-ed him and he confirmed he wasn't on the team.)

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5641 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 27 of 266
14 December 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
There're no magpies in Brazil, but there aren't dragons as well, which would be my vote.

I've been studying Mandarin again since last March. My first try has been many years ago, finishing Pimsleur I and 1/2 of Pimsleur II.

At this point, I've finished Michel Thomas, completed more than a 1/3 of Méthode 90 and know about 500 characters. My main goal is to be able to read texts written in simplified characters. Of course, I want to be able to listen, speak and even write a little bit too.

It seems that this will be a very active team and since Mandarin will be by far my main language concern, this certainly is going to be an important source of ideas and encouragement.

It's only me or you people cannot also see the first picture on Sunja's opening message?

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4422 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 28 of 266
15 December 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone! I am looking forward to studying Mandarin with all of you.

I have been learning Spanish for a little over two years now and through self-study have managed to reach an
intermediate level. I am now ready to start studying a new foreign language while continuing to maintain and
improve my Spanish.

One of my brothers has been very interested in learning Mandarin and has studied it off and on over the past
year. However, he is still at a very beginner level. I think studying with him will help us both stay on track and get
serious about reaching an intermediate level in the language. Also, I hope I will able to help him with study tips
since this will be my second foreign language (I've been trying to convince him to study a foreign language for a
while now). We've already started working through the FSI pronunciation modules together. Right now we are
both pretty much starting from scratch so any suggestions for courses/websites/study methods would be greatly
appreciated.

Background info about me: I graduated from college about a year ago and currently work as a freelance web
designer. I've also started a small business tutoring high schoolers and middle schoolers in English, and I teach
several writing classes. Learning languages is just a hobby for me right now, but I'm hoping to one day be able to
use it in some part of my career.

And also I don't really have a preference for the team name. :) I'll be starting my log in January.

Edited by nj24 on 15 December 2013 at 12:47am

nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3932 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 29 of 266
15 December 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Hello!

I'd like to join as an observer for now. I'll be starting Mandarin in july as that's when my Japanese evening
classes end. I will enroll in the Chinese class in September, but I intend to get familiar with the language
before that. I've been studying Japanese for over 5 years so far, and I really want to start with Mandarin this
year.
I'll be reading the logs of everyone to prepare myself for in preparation for my own studies.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5525 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 30 of 266
15 December 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Signing up here, too. I have only half a year of weekly classes under my belt, and that was year ago already. Log's here

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5844 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 31 of 266
15 December 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi Bao,

the languages you have in your profile are the ones I'm interested in too! I just don't have time for all of them -- but I have tons, TONS of materials lying around.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5525 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 32 of 266
15 December 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Haha I actually lack discipline/time management skills more than time. If that's an offer for a potential sale/swap/lending, I have to say that I first have to get into any kind of habit again (or at all), before I know which level and kind of material I can actually work with. >o<;

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version