Germany
Joined 5844 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 41 of 266
21 December 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
I'll add the log links when I can, but because of the holidays (my mother is visiting) I probably won't get to all of them at once. but I'll have everybody's log linked by Jan. 1. -- I promise (^-^)b
1 person has voted this message useful

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5011 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 42 of 266
24 December 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Hey, I'm not sure on the proper procedure but I would like to join this team to study Mandarin.

I did this maybe some three years ago when I was in high school and was not very successful. Hopefully I'll have better luck now that I'm older.

Thanks!

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4943 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 43 of 266
25 December 2013 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
I'd be interested in joining the team. I just ordered Rosetta Stone Mandarin. I'll be a total beginner and well to be honest I am more focused on Japanese learning but I'm really curious about Chinese and I think studying it would enhance my knowledge of kanji. My biggest fear regarding this language is the tones. I'm positive I will be tone deaf.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3775 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 44 of 266
25 December 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
@kraemder
Don't worry about the tones, they will elude you in the beginning, but with practice they`ll be distinguishable and easier to pronounce. 加油!

And a 圣诞节快乐 to everyone out there!

[edit] for dumb spelling mistakes...

Edited by Ninibo on 25 December 2013 at 10:44am

kraemder
Joined 4943 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 45 of 266
25 December 2013 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
加油 = add oil? hehe. Sorry I have a ways to go with the Chinese characters. The kanji (I'm betting they're not called kanji by Chinese speakers / students learning Chinese)

I recognize 快 as cheerful...

Add oil and be cheerful. (this is what I got from what you wrote =p )

Man I am I noob. I'll start my log though. I have a Japanese log but I'm making a new one for Chinese.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3775 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 46 of 266
25 December 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
@kraemder
Lol. You were not far off. 加油 does say"add oil", but it is used to cheer someone on. And 圣诞节快乐 means "Merry Christmas": 圣诞节 sheng4dan4jie2 - Christmas, 快乐 kuai4le4 - happy, merry.
I'm pretty sure your Kanji knowledge will come in handy when learning Chinese.

kraemder
Joined 4943 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 47 of 266
26 December 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
I'm curious what other learners are doing regarding hanzi - are you learning simplified, traditional, both, none? The would guess probably not the latter but it is a pain in the butt so maybe. I'm starting out with traditional because they're similar to japanese kanji (I think). But I could see myself, sigh, learning both.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5844 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 48 of 266
26 December 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Hi kraemder!

I'm constantly coming across characters that don't make sense -- like this one 长, chang2.

it means "long". I look up the traditional character and it's (you guessed it) 長.

I learn the traditional first, because my experience with RTK and japanese kanji helps me remember the characters better. Traditional characters make more sense and I can make stories (à la Heisig) with them. I try to memorize the simplified version, but it's hard. I think once I start typing more I'll get used to it.

LangWanderer also learned Japanese before Mandarin and is also learning traditional first.

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version