Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4569 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 9 of 35
12 December 2013 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
I always thought that this sort of things are utterly pointless and not fun at all, because the fact that something can be written as one word is purely only dependant on the orthography and not the expressional capabilities of each language.
I think you might find this discussion interesting. I do agree with you that none of this has any relevance to expressive capacities of various languages, but I think it's more than just orthography. I believe most of the OP's examples are better explained by the peculiarities of morphology and/or idiomatic usage than orthographic arbitrariness.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 12 December 2013 at 9:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5757 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 10 of 35
12 December 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
I always thought that this sort of things are utterly pointless and not fun at all, because the fact that something can be written as one word is purely only dependant on the orthography and not the expressional capabilities of each language.

/spoilsportmode

I have this issue with some of the long words that people come up with for this topic. But when a language has a really concise way of expressing a concept where other languages require a long-winded phrase, then I take my hat off to that language.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5144 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 11 of 35
12 December 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to be another spoilsport, but I hope that the examples in the other languages are more “real” than the Italian one!

I admit that having a word to express that concept would be nice, but even though I’m a well-read university-educated native Italian I’ve never heard or read the word “cualacino” before. I’ve looked it up in a decent-size dictionary (Dizionario Garzanti, published in 2003 with more than 200,000 lemmas) and I couldn’t find it. If it’s either too regional or too antiquated not to belong in a modern dictionary, I guess you can hardly say that Italian has such a word.

Are we sure it wasn’t made up? A quick search online mainly offers posts and articles where Italians confess that they’ve never heard of such a word.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4569 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 12 of 35
12 December 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
I can vouch for the authenticity of 木漏れ日 and почемучка, although I'd argue that the definition ascribed to the latter is a bit too broad. More often than not it is used to refer to a child who asks grown-ups lots of questions (most commonly why-questions, since the word is derived from the Russian word for "why"), either out of genuine curiosity or as a way of avoiding doing something they don't want to do ("Why do I have to go to sleep?" "Because it's late" "Why do people need to sleep when it's late?" "Because we get tired" "Why do we get tired?", etc.). It's sometimes used with a positive connotation of a childlike sense of wonder (there's a famous children's encyclopedia with that name), but more often it's used to express mild annoyance at the constant questioning. It's also seen as a bit of a puerile word, so using it to refer to an adult, unless it's tongue-in-cheek, is about as weird as an adult calling another adult a "meanie" or a "tattletale" in English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

wber
Groupie
United States
Joined 4098 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Vietnamese, French

Message 13 of 35
13 December 2013 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:

/spoilsportmode

In all seriousness people create words for what they need, and these words help us understand the cultural contexts and ways people lead their lives.

I agree with you about the fact that if a language uses one or more words, it doesn't mean they lack the ability to express a multitude of different ideas. I disagree with your latter part of that statement. I don't think it's strictly dependent on orthography. I think it's more of a cultural affair. Where one language uses one word while another uses two, it may be possible to say that the former places more emphasis on certain concepts than the latter.( Not all the time though)

Edited by wber on 14 December 2013 at 1:46am

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 14 of 35
13 December 2013 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Sorry to be another spoilsport, but I hope that the examples in the other languages are more “real” than the Italian one!

I admit that having a word to express that concept would be nice, but even though I’m a well-read university-educated native Italian I’ve never heard or read the word “cualacino” before. I’ve looked it up in a decent-size dictionary (Dizionario Garzanti, published in 2003 with more than 200,000 lemmas) and I couldn’t find it. If it’s either too regional or too antiquated not to belong in a modern dictionary, I guess you can hardly say that Italian has such a word.

Are we sure it wasn’t made up? A quick search online mainly offers posts and articles where Italians confess that they’ve never heard of such a word.

I don't know where they got "cualacino" from, but I can confirm that "sobremesa" in Spanish is very much in use. In my wife's family it typically denotes the time after lunch (which in Spain is rather late, at 2.30 or so) when you move from the dining table to the armchairs and sofa, drink your coffee, watch TV and comment on whatever programme you are seeing with the others around you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 15 of 35
14 December 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
I admit that having a word to express that concept would be nice, but even
though I’m a well-read university-educated native Italian I’ve never heard or read the
word “cualacino” before. I’ve looked it up in a decent-size dictionary (Dizionario
Garzanti, published in 2003 with more than 200,000 lemmas) and I couldn’t find it. If
it’s either too regional or too antiquated not to belong in a modern dictionary, I
guess you can hardly say that Italian has such a word.

I've never heard of it either. I've heard my dad use CULACCINO but that's the residue
left in the bottom of a bottle of (home made) wine.

Glad it's not just me then :-)

anethara
Diglot
England
Joined 4039 days ago

25 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 16 of 35
15 December 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure which is my favourite, but I do wonder if there's anything 'untranslatable'
in English?

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version