forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 73 of 120
01 February 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Kami, here are a few quick corrections to your post:

1) 와/과 do not have a space in front of them; they are attached to the word in front.
Thus it would be 학생과 rather than 학생 과.
2) 과 only follows words with a final consonant and 와 only follows words without one.
Thus it is 프랑스어와 rather than 프랑스어과.
3) While subject and object particles are optional in Korean, sentences usually flow a bit
better with them (and the more you listen the more you realize that Koreans don't drop
them as often as you'd think they would). As such, 음악을 and 한국어를 make those
sentences sound better in my opinion (though again they are still understandable and
correct without them).

Also a vocabulary tip: If you didn't already know there are actually two words for the
French language in Korean. One is the word you used above 프랑스어 and the other is 불
어(佛語). The former is probably more common, but it probably wouldn't hurt to recognize
the latter if you see it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4279 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Studies: French, Korean

Message 74 of 120
07 February 2014 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the corrections! Haha I still have a long way to go and your input really
helps!
1 person has voted this message useful

Tarko
Korea, South
Joined 4451 days ago

119 posts - 148 votes 
Studies: Korean, French

Message 75 of 120
25 February 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
How goes the studying, Team Gumiho? Have you learned any interesting grammatical points recently? Any fun words stick in your head?

I recently learned this word: 백수 (Eng: baeksu, Han: 白手), which means "unemployed/jobless/a person who doesn't work" (일을 안 하거나 직업이 없는 사람). "백" means "white" and "수" means "hand." If you work for a living your hands are dirty but if you're a baeksu your hands are clean, or white.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 76 of 120
25 February 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I learned 백수 when I was rewatching Secret Garden for the umpteenth time (and then looking it up in the script), it's in episode 2, this scene around 07:05. It's fun learning words that way because then they stick in your head very easily.

One of my favorite Korean words is 특별한. I don't remember where I heard or saw it first but I like how it sounds and it's always been easy for me to remember it.

One of the very very easiest Korean words for me was 네모 (square) because of Nemo the fish. This word doesn't appear in dramas or in textbooks but I can still remember it perfectly well.

들려주다 is one of those words where you need a solid grasp on Korean grammar in order to understand it properly. "to give the favor of being audible or making heard" is not something you would ever say in English but in fact it is just a roundabout way of saying "say". 듣다 -> 들리다 -> 들려주다 - quite the transformation. So Korean.

I recently came across the word 눈싸음 and I was amused how it had two totally different meanings (snowball fight and staring contest) even though it makes sense since 눈 means both "snow" and "eye".

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 77 of 120
25 February 2014 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm still traipsing through TTMIK lessons a bit, depending on when I have some time
during work to listen to it. I need to use more native materials and active situations
for my Korean. We'll see how it works out. I will soon be done with my Hebrew focus, so
Korean should take centre stage again soon - only to be cut out by my Romania project :)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 78 of 120
25 February 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I have learned a lot of figure skating related terms since I have intensively read quite
a few articles on Korean sites about Kim Yuna being robbed at the Olympics. The
expression I'll probably remember forever is 엉덩방아를 찧다, which means to fall down on
one's ass.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 79 of 120
25 February 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I've been mining some vocab from articles, reports and podcasts lately. Sometimes I'm surprised to come across really concrete I didn't know yet, like 천둥번개 (thunder and lightning). Mostly it's abstract concepts and verbs I'm having problems with.

A very useful word I came across in two podcasts is 호감:

호감이 가다 - become fond of; be likeable
호감을 주다 - make a good impression
호감을 갖다 - have a good feeling (toward)
호감을 사다 - win a person's favor/goodwill

Right now I'm wondering about how to improve my speaking skills. Any ideas? I'm finding it very complicated with Korean. I always fall back on the same constructions. Maybe I really have to drill grammar or something...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 80 of 120
25 February 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I think speaking practice is very dependent on how much you use the language in natural
settings and conversations. I do not speak languages I have never had occasion to use -
but the ones I have spoken lots I am comfortable speaking in. And the first 30 times are
shit.

Just so you know.

And no, I can't speak Korean and it doesn't count :P

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version