Tarko
Korea, South
Joined 4478 days ago

119 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, French

Message 81 of 120
25 February 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
I learned a lot of the uses of 호감 via dating apps/websites. For example, 마른 분에 호감이 갑니다 (I'm fond of thin people). But, uh, that entirely depends on your presence in Korea. Also, if you're single.

I find speaking Korean to be an entirely difficult beast from speaking other languages. For me it's hard to even compare it to speaking Russian or French (languages in which I have gained at least some oral fluency n the past). It took me years to rearrange my thought processes to freely speak in the right word order, let alone freely speaking. You may want to try writing a lot - I find that the more you write, the more you start to produce the same grammar in your spoken Korean. I relied on the -서 and -지만 contractions for a very long time before breaking out -는데 and -도록 in speech (among others). Maybe write 2-3 texts focusing on using a specific grammatical form in different contexts and then deliberately find a way to use it in your next conversation.

My big speaking issue is honorific speech (계시다/-습니다, for example). I never have the chance to use it verbally. I got over this problem with banmal by talking with friends. I may need to tell a friend to switch to that form with me for a week so I can practice.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 82 of 120
26 February 2014 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
I think that is a good idea, Tarko. I remember when I used to actually write in Korean,
after using certain structures enough (으)ㅁ에도 불구하고 -기 짝이 없다, I was able to use
them while speaking/thinking in Korean. My major problem with speaking is that I just
don't practice it enough, thus I can't say things on the fly.

However, I'm still focusing on input until I'm very comfortable with the language, and I
feel like I'm getting close, except for some big gaps in vocabulary here and there.

Do you recommend writing longer texts or a lot of short ones (or a mixture of both)?

sabotai
United States
Joined 5669 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 83 of 120
26 February 2014 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
I was rewatching the first episode of Running Man a few weeks back (without subtitles) and picked up some words. One that really stuck is 옥상 (rooftop). I saw it several times when they showed the map of the building, and then during the part when they went to the rooftop, I heard them say it several times.

When I first started watching Running Man, I couldn't understand anything. While I'm still a beginner, it's nice that I can at least pick out names, common verbs and phrases and even pick up a handful of new words without the aid of subtitles (even if I still feel the need to double check their meaning afterwards).

Edited by sabotai on 26 February 2014 at 5:22am

Stassri
Korea, South
Joined 3885 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Korean*

Message 84 of 120
26 February 2014 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Hi, If anyone's interested in singing competitions, there is a Korean one currently running : K-pop Star Season 3. You can watch some past videos of the Season 2 Here and Season 3 Here

And this is my favorite performance from Season 2 : 잠 못드는 밤 비는 내리고

Tarko
Korea, South
Joined 4478 days ago

119 posts - 148 votes 
Studies: Korean, French

Message 85 of 120
26 February 2014 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ, I write a lot of texts for my Korean class, and every text is different. One day I'll write a dialogue about how to get to a coffee shop, the next day I'll write a self-introduction, the next day I'll write 2 dialogues where I'm trying to convince someone else to do something (1 with an affirmative response and 1 with a negative response), then I'll write a short story about a serial killer in 여의도. Sometimes they're short (half a page) sometimes they're long (3+ pages). I think it's useful to write many different texts so you can get an idea of how the grammar or vocabulary can be used in a variety of situations.

Also, I think that the most useful part of this is if you can get your texts corrected (using Lang-8 or via another method). I find that my understanding of grammatical concepts is never as strong as I think it is. That's one reason I think Korean is a hellishly difficult language to learn: it's easy enough to self-study up to a certain point, but once you try to push through to the intermediate (advanced?) levels you need someone to nitpick every little error you make. (That's just my opinion. There are plenty of people who are capable of learning grammar to an advanced level without any help, but I'm not one of them.) Editing/re-writing your text means you're actively revisiting the grammar point again, which helps it stick more firmly in your mind.

I also highly recommend that everyone make a Korean-speaking friend with whom you can chat on Kakaotalk on a regular basis. Texting doesn't necessarily use the most advanced grammar or vocabulary, but it gives you a bit of a lag time in between messages where you can insert more complicated grammatical forms. Chatting also speeds up how fast your brain takes to process Korean and speeds up your own production rate.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 86 of 120
26 February 2014 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
After discussing a possible gear switch (from LSK to TTMIK) on druckfehler's log and the
possibility of doing this during a commute rather than taking up evening time, I played
TTMIK Level 1 lessons on the way home from work the past two days (and got in 3
lessons per day since they are fairly short and my commute is about 40 minutes).

I had forgotten just how humorous their early lessons are with the odd chemistry they
have going on between the two hosts (경은 replying somewhat suspiciously to almost
everything 현우 says, 현우 actually stepping on 경은's foot a couple times while
recording to demonstrate 죄송합니다 (with 견은 reacting "You really stepped on my
foot!"), etc.).

It is also interesting being able to understand the parts where they are using Korean
dialog to demonstrate something (like the various uses of "네") where they don't expect
the listener to understand the actual dialog yet or where one of them (usually 경은) will
reply with a Korean phrase almost out of force of habit but it doesn't matter as I still
know what is going on the whole time.

However, I had also forgotten that they seem to get caught in the same hangups as many
other learner materials out there on concepts that are so much simpler than they are
made out to be. For example, when explaining the differences between 안녕히 계세요
and 안녕히 가세요 they start off with the typical "it depends on whether you are leaving
or staying" (and LSK teaches this concept similarly) then they give some exceptions later
on (both people are leaving, hosts are wrapping up the show and saying goodbye to the
listeners, etc.). However none of those exceptions would really exist if you just teach it
the reverse way in the first place. Which phrase you use depends on what the
*listener* is doing, not what the *speaker* is doing. If the listener is going somewhere,
you use 가세요, if the listener is staying where they are, you use 계세요. 끝! I'm
perpetually confused why so many language materials try to make the irrelevant
distinction regarding what the speaker is doing when that only really applies in those
scenarios where the listener is doing the opposite. Yes that scenario is common (one
leaving and the other staying), but other scenarios exist making that frame of reference
pointlessly complicated. (If I'm wrong here, please explain, but I simply cannot think of a
scenario where it remotely matters what the speaker is doing for these goodbye
statements.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 87 of 120
02 March 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Tarko, thanks for your advice. I started using my unused wordpress blog as a Korean
blog where I write my thoughts about anything, and I'm planning on writing a short
story series about a guy who has no inhibitions, leading him to be in a lot of terrible
situations. I think a mix of journal entries and short stories will really help me
express myself better.

For now, I plan on just writing a lot without getting corrections, so as to not get
discouraged. The last time I used Lang 8, many of the changes I was getting seemed to
be purely stylistic changes, so I think I'll just wait until I've written a lot to get
some corrections. I think I can self-correct a lot through more grammar study and more
reading.

Now it's just about activating vocabulary and grammar structures for active use instead
of just passive knowledge. I believe writing regularly now will help me eventually help
me to write longer, more in depth articles down the road, but I can only take one step
at a time, so I'm not going to stretch myself to write an academic-like blog post every
time I write.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 88 of 120
07 March 2014 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
3월 도전 어때요? 아이디어 있나요?

Edited by Warp3 on 07 March 2014 at 1:29pm

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version