forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 9 of 120
14 December 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Tarko wrote:
- 화이팅 (fighting - "you can do it!" Also, part of the cheer for Team Korea)
- 힘내 (himnae - "cheer up", "you can do it")

In a similar vein, there is also 할 수 있다! (lit: (I/you) can do (it)!) which is used as a bit of a
self-encouragement chant.

Personally, I'm kinda partial to the Team 구미호 suggestion, though. I'm not really sure why,
but I just kinda like the sound of it.

BTW, 구미호 = 九尾狐 (nine-tail-fox) for those of you that are recently starting in on your
Hanja studies.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 120
14 December 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
I like the challenges idea, although I don't know how much I'll be able to do. I'm a near-zero beginner, and Korean is priority 3 for me next year. I'm not aiming at producing, but more at aural comprehension so I can watch my kdramas. :D

I'm quite curious how you plan to go about this. I'm sure there must be some method especially suited to gaining drama listening comprehension - maybe learning some stock phrases and specific vocabulary that shows up often? Of course you'll have to study grammar as well, otherwise Korean stays incomprehensible... Maybe I should warn you that it took me 2 years until I could watch dramas without subs and not get frustrated. And there was still a lot I didn't understand.

Honestly, I'm not really sure the best way to approach it.

Right now, I'm trying to learn the alphabet more fluently, and I'm working on a frequency flash card list on Memrise. I'm not really trying to go without subs (at this point, anyways!), just to understand a little more.

SprachProfi has a method which looks really interesting for this kind of thing. Understanding Your Favorite TV Series in 30 Days. It looks interesting, but I haven't found anywhere that I can get both English and Korean subs for the shows I like, plus the video. I might look a little harder when I have some extra time off work over the holidays.

I have been looking at different Korean textbooks, but most of them assume you can read the alphabet right off the bat. I can stumble through it, but it's still tough. That's one of the reasons I've been using the frequency list on Memrise. I am starting to recognize letters a lot easier now. :)

I know I won't be able to progress a lot with Korean in a year, especially while keeping up with Spanish and French studies, but if I can learn 5-6 words a day for a year, I would know 2000 words. Once I am a little more comfortable with the alphabet, it will be easier to use a textbook, and that will help. I have the Assimil Korean course, so I will probably start using that along with Memrise.

It's also a totally new experience for me learning a non-European language, so I'm sure there is going to be a really big learning curve. :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 11 of 120
15 December 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
My Language Log: Click Here

General TAC 2014 Goals

More specific goals (in the form of quantifiable targets, where possible) are forthcoming,
but here are my overall general goals for Korean for TAC 2014.

1) Spend more time actively studying Korean grammar forms, idioms, etc. rather than
focusing so much on vocabulary.
2) Continue to increase Korean vocabulary, but not via direct studying (mostly likely via a
return to intensively reading and memorizing song lyrics)
3) Work more on Korean production (both writing and speaking)

Edited by Warp3 on 15 December 2013 at 12:13am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 120
15 December 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Following Warp3's lead, I hereby ask (or, well, whip into submission if that is what
you'd prefer :D) for everyone's goals for Korean in 2014.

I will post mine later, like a good indecent leader.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 120
15 December 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
My goal is to get more comfortable with the writing system, so I can read (the alphabet) fairly fluently, and to acquire some basic vocab (maybe 2000 words - which would be 5-6 words per day).

Ultimately, I want to study Korean further, but it is priority3 for me next year (after Spanish and French), and I know I won't have a lot of time for it. I have a tendency to use my relaxing "down time" to watch Korean TV, although that's not for studying purposes.

Once I am more comfortable reading the alphabet, it will be easier to use a textbook to learn more grammar. In the meantime, I'm using a frequency list on Memrise. This is helping me get a few words, as well as helping me recognize and get more comfortable with the writing system.

I'm going to start using Assimil Coréen Sans Peine. Even if I only get through 2-3 lessons a week, I should be able to finish it during 2014.

I know my goals are really small, but I know myself, and if I push myself too hard - especially with my life right now - I will end up getting less done. If I can learn 2000 vocab words in the year and get really comfortable with the writing system, I will consider that success. :D

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 14 of 120
15 December 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I'm going to start using Assimil Coréen Sans Peine. Even if I only get through
2-3 lessons a week, I should be able to finish it during 2014.

Please let us know what you think of that course. I've seen a few people claim they dislike
that course, but I've yet to see anyone explain exactly why. As such, I'm not convinced
there is anything wrong with the course and perhaps people are just repeating what they've
heard elsewhere. Granted I have no interest in French really, so it wouldn't do me much
good anyway, I'm just curious about the course since it seems to be the only one Assimil
offers for Korean.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 15 of 120
15 December 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see you in the Korean team, Kerrie! And good luck with your Korean studies. I think learning 2000 words in a year is an ambitious goal, not small at all. I have been focusing on vocabulary a lot but I haven't been able to learn more than 1500-1700 words a year.

As for your resources, I suggest you try Talk To Me In Korean if you haven't done so already. Their grammar lessons are free. You can also check out my Anki decks, they are optimized for beginners:

My Vocabulary Deck
My Sentence Deck

sabotai
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 16 of 120
15 December 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
안녕하세요 Team 한국!

Goals for 2014

My Korean is still very much at a beginner stage after a few false starts. My main interest in Korean, or I should say my main pragmatic use for it, is watching Korean movies and TV shows (variety, comedy and interview shows). On the variety shows, they show a lot of text on screen, so not only is improving listening a priority, so is reading comprehension and reading speed.

I'm not too interested, at least not yet, in improving active use.

My time goal for Korean is to spend 350 hours actively studying Korean. (That does not include time spent watching movies or TV shows).

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version