Tarko
Korea, South
Joined 4450 days ago

119 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, French

Message 25 of 120
17 December 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
@yuhakko - I like the idea of 팔자! Some more options: Team Makjang (막장), Team Kpop (uh... maybe not), Team 드라마 (Drama)... hopefully minus the drama/makjang. I do really like Team 구미호 though.

druckfehler wrote:
25 books? Wow! Well, I guess it depends a little on the type of book we're talking about, but still... It means that you'll read 1 book for every 2 weeks.You will progress a lot with that amount, I think!

In the "real" world I spend most of my free time reading books in English... I've actually read over 200 books this year. If I were to spend less time reading in English and more time reading in Korean I definitely think I'd improve!

druckfehler wrote:
I'd be happy to give you recommendations of good, addictive dramas based on your preferences.

Ugh, I have this horrible habit of starting a drama and not finishing it, even when I enjoy it. Good Doctor, Arang and the Magistrate, Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang, Coffee Prince, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, My Daughter Seo-Young, You're The Best Lee Soon Shin, Vampire Idol... usually I find myself bored by the time I hit the half-way point in the show. Or there's too much makjang. Or the humor annoys me. Or the characters annoy me. And so on. I definitely enjoyed Arang and the Magistrate and Good Doctor the most, so I'll probably attempt to finish them. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears...

Edited by Tarko on 17 December 2013 at 1:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 26 of 120
20 December 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
About these dramas, I'm starting to get interested. What's a good one for a beginner?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 120
21 December 2013 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
About these dramas, I'm starting to get interested. What's a good one for a beginner?

Oh, there is a HUGE variety of stuff to choose from. There is tons of free stuff (with English subs) on Drama Fever and on Viki. It really depends on what kind of stuff you like. :)

I like the historical ones the best. Of the ones I have watched, my favorites are Dong Yi, Jewel in the Palace, Yi San, and Queen Seon Duk. Rooftop Prince was kind of fun, even though I only saw the first 4-5 episodes.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 28 of 120
21 December 2013 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

Really depends on your taste... What kind of storyline do you enjoy? I wouldn't say that there's a drama more suited to language learning than others (the historical ones use slightly antiquated language, so maybe a modern drama is preferable, but all in all the difference isn't that big).

The dramabeans blog always has several year-end-review posts which give a short overview of the years' dramas they watched. It's a good place to start when you want to find out what's out there. [EDIT: I found a better link - this is an overview of all year-end-reviews and recaps on dramabeans]

For a thriller, I've heard very good things about "Story of a Man/The Slingshot". (from 2009) Review of first Episodes here
For romantic comedy, "(The first Shop of) Coffee Prince" is a classic. (from 2006) Review of first Episode here

Edited by druckfehler on 21 December 2013 at 1:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 29 of 120
21 December 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Sounds good. I'll finish watching my Swedish series first. Do the series come with
subtitles (in either English or Korean?)

I've recently noticed how terrible my comprehension still is, so I'm going to focus on
doing much less grammar and TTMIK for a while (I'll still do a bit), but in a lower
tempo, and add more reading and listening to the mix. I'm ready now :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 30 of 120
21 December 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Korean subs are rare, but there are lots of sites where you can watch them with English subs - streaming on the sites Kerrie recommended, but there are also subbing teams whose subs you can download. You'll probably find lots when you google it.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 31 of 120
21 December 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
There are two ways to watch Korean dramas - either streaming or downloading the episodes (if you don't have a Korean TV channel, that is). For streaming, there are two kinds of sites - legal and not so legal. Drama Fever and Viki are the legal ones but they restrict their services only to some countries. If you google you can find some other sites that are full of ads. I usually download the episodes because then they are of a higher quality and I can pause and rewatch them more easily. For example, here or here. They are raw (without any subtitles embedded) so you need to find subtitles somewhere else. Korean subtitles are not available (I've searched a lot for them) but English subtitles can usually be found. Nowadays (starting from 2012-2013) all the dramas get subbed on DF and/or Viki and you can find the subtitles on Subscene.com so it's very easy. For older dramas, you'll have to google them. WITHS2 was once the king of fan subbing but now Viki has taken over and their site isn't even working at the moment I'm posting this. I hope the site comes back because they have a huge collection of subtitles.

As for dramas themselves, they are usually 16-50 episodes long. The main Korean TV channels (KBS, SBS and MBC) air two episodes of a drama a week so there are Monday-Tuesday dramas, Wednesday-Thursday dramas and Saturday-Sunday dramas. The weekend dramas are usually those with the 50 episode count and the weekday dramas usually have 16-20 episodes. I like these the best because the plot in those usually moves faster. As others mentioned above, there are modern and historical dramas (and some even mix these two together using time travel or some other plot device). I definitely suggest you start with the modern ones if your goal is to use the dramas to improve your Korean.

I use DramaWiki to find out drama descriptions, actors, its Korean name, ratings and everything else. For drama recommendations, you can't beat Dramabeans. Their year-end overviews and the comments below those posts contain basically everything you might want to know about the dramas. Beware of spoilers though.

My recommendations:

Coffee Prince - like druckfehler said, it's a classic and it was my first Korean drama. I loved it. It's about a girl who pretends to be a boy in order to be able to work in a coffee shop.

Secret Garden - another romantic comedy with a bit of the supernatural (the main leads swap their bodies for a while). A favorite of mine.

Nice Guy - this one is a melodrama. The main guy goes to prison instead of his girlfriend but the girlfriend betrays him so when he comes out he decides to get revenge. I loved this one as well, it was very gripping and addicting.

Good Doctor - this is a medical drama. The male lead has an autistic disorder but wants to become a surgeon anyway so the main storyline is about how he overcomes various obstacles to achieve his dream. It's very heart-warming and it was my favorite drama this year.

Two Weeks - this is an action drama. I haven't watched it yet but all the reviews have been positive so it's on my to-watch-list.

One last comment: whatever drama you decide to start with, I suggest you memorize the names of at least the four main characters before you start, otherwise it will be very difficult for you to follow the plot. The best way, I think, would be to start with a drama that has been recapped on Dramabeans so that you could read the recap after watching the episode in case you didn't understand something.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 32 of 120
21 December 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Secret Garden -
another romantic comedy with a bit of the supernatural (the main leads swap their
bodies for a while). A favorite of mine.

The main reason I watched this one was because it is so well known in South Korea that
it is impossible to avoid pop culture references that cite scenes from this series (so it's
almost worth watching for that reason alone). That said, once I did starting watching
them, it because quite obvious why the series was so popular (as it was very
entertaining). There are only three Korean drama series I've actually watched to
completion (as many of them started to bore me or went overboard with the drama) and
this is one of those three. The other two series were 내 여자친구는 구미호 (My Girlfriend
Is A Gumiho) and Coffee House. I would highly recommend any of those three shows.

The movie equivalents of Secret Garden (in regards to frequency in pop culture) would
probably be 엽기적인 그녀 (My Sassy Girl) and Old Boy (and the latter I haven't actually
watched).

Edited by Warp3 on 21 December 2013 at 11:44pm

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version