learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 41 of 120
30 December 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
My Korean goals for 2014

I'm not sure what to write here since I don't have any specific goals for the end of 2014. My first goal for Korean is to be able to understand at least 90% of modern dramas without subtitles but that probably won't happen until 2015. This year, I just want to keep working towards that and that includes studying vocabulary and grammar. I will try to use more textbooks than I have before since they are the most efficient way to improve my grammar.

I will also try to start studying hanja seriously but that won't be right away, probably sometime in the spring. And I will also use shadowing more in order to get used to speaking in Korean. I will also try to read some things that aren't transcripts but I'm not sure exactly what yet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 42 of 120
01 January 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
우리 팀원들 여러분께서 새해 복 많이 받으세요! 2014년 모두 건강하고 즐거운일만 가득하길 바랍니다!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4279 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean

Message 43 of 120
02 January 2014 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Hey guys! Could I join for this year?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 44 of 120
02 January 2014 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Hmmm...so many people here have watched "Coffee Prince" and liked it
that I may have to give it a try.

I watched the first episode of this yesterday and it is a very strange show so far, but is
definitely interesting enough to keep watching.

I was using WITH S2 subs (which I had to find elsewhere since their site is down and they
haven't updated the Twitter feed in months so I'm starting to wonder if they even exist
anymore) and so far the translations don't seem quite up to WITH S2's normal level.
They were decent most of the time, but in a few spots they were almost laughably wrong.

One prime example: The phrase was "여자를 붙여라!" (as part of a list of steps that the
grandmothers were trying on the lead male role to get him to "settle down") and it was
quite obvious (to me anyway) from context that the meaning was something like "Set up
him with a girl!" (more literally: Stick him to a girl). Somehow the translator came up with
"Get him, women!" which makes zero sense in context. The only thing I can think of is
that the translator was using the on-screen context (of a group of women suddenly
running off in the same direction) rather than the context of the dialog up to that point.
However, they were running up to a Velcro wall then jumping to attach themselves to it as
a play on the word "붙이다" (to stick sth to sth else). Also all the items on this "list"
were presented in semi-random scenes like that which had no connection to the story
itself, so using that as context for the translation doesn't really make sense anyway.

Another laughably wrong translation was 단무지 (pickled radish) as "sweet carrots".
Really?

Now granted you see this kind of thing all the time with fan subs in general, but usually
not with a group like WITH S2 that is known for having better quality subs than that.

(Yes, I should probably be trying to watch this show without subs, but I'm not the only
one in the house watching at the time, so the subs will remain for now.)

Edited by Warp3 on 02 January 2014 at 5:32am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 45 of 120
02 January 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Kami, I'm sure you can! But you should also sign up in the official sign up thread.

Warp3, I remember that "Get him, women" and I was also thinking that it made no sense. But since I knew it was a fansub I just ignored it. In fact, the whole first episode made little sense to me since it was my first drama and I hadn't gotten used to Korean names (and faces!) and I couldn't tell many characters apart. Ah, the memories... I have no idea what I would think of Coffee Prince if I watched it now for the first time.

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4279 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Studies: French, Korean

Message 46 of 120
03 January 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Cool thanks! I'll do that right now!

Also, an alternative place to watch "Coffee Prince" is dramafever. They sub the shows
themselves rather than fans so it might be more accurate.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 47 of 120
03 January 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
@Kami: Sure. You are now a part of this team :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 48 of 120
04 January 2014 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Kami wrote:
Also, an alternative place to watch "Coffee Prince" is dramafever. They sub
the shows themselves rather than fans so it might be more accurate.

I considered that (since I knew that show is available from sites like that and Viki), but I
much prefer to download shows when possible rather than streaming them. Also, like I
noted, WITH S2 is usually one of the best subbing teams around. I've watched episode 2
since posting that and the subs did seem a bit better on that episode.

Speaking of Coffee Prince, I noticed while watching episode 2 that It's *really* amazing
how much this story seems to be paralleling Secret Garden (though Coffee Prince came
out first). The well-off male lead, the not-so-well-off athletic tomboy as the female lead,
the male lead's brother who is still in love with his ex-girlfriend, and instead of body-
swapping the lead roles (as in Secret Garden) they have a female lead who frequently
gets mistaken for a male (leading to the same type of "gender swap" humor in both
series). The "male lead's brother's that is still in love with his ex-girlfriend" part is the
one that got me thinking about all the similarities since that seems like a pretty specific
scenario to match so well between the two series (as even the vibe between those two
characters feels very similar).

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version