Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 9 of 69
14 December 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm excited to be joining Team Celts and look forward to pushing my Irish from beginner mode to...something more! I'm sure that I'll still be ploughing through Learning Irish for a good part of 2014, and if I could make it to a B2 level by the end of the year I'd be very happy.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 69
14 December 2013 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos
Good luck once again with the Breton interview! You were an example to us all last year, and you'll certainly be missed. I hope you can still pop in from time to time, and we'll keep a place for you by the fire.

@jeff_lindqvist
I like the idea of short monologues on chosen topics, and look forward to learning new phrases in Irish through reading our posts in the language. Good to have you on board, mate!

@liammcg
You made Herculean (or should I say Cú Chulainn) progress last year. Congratulations on graduating in Irish, and a big thank you for motivating everyone throughout. I'm so glad you're on our team again in 2014!

@Josquin
Josquin...eater of course books...conqueror of lenition! It wouldn't be a Celtic feast without you. I'm definitely looking forward to us studying on the same team again next year.

@montmorency
Diolch for the handy tips regarding Google+ Hangouts. Now if we can set aside a fine pint of Goodness and a cosy chair, could we tempt you over to our table in that other parlour? It would be great to have some Welsh learners on our team as well.

@sctroyenne
A big warm welcome to our growing clan, especially for a fellow fan of Aifric! I'd love to hear some more about your immersion weekend in Portland, and am happy to learn we'll be studying together in 2014.

@Indíritheach
B2 level by the end of the year it is! :) I'm studying Buntús Cainte as well, and thoroughly enjoy the cheeky bygone illustrations. How did you get on with the Six Week Challenge?

3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 69
15 December 2013 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
This team looks very promising!

I'll write a post about my goals and achievements so far by the end of TAC 2013/the beginning of TAC 2014.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 12 of 69
15 December 2013 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
@Indíritheach
B2 level by the end of the year it is! :) I'm studying Buntús Cainte as well, and thoroughly enjoy the cheeky bygone illustrations. How did you get on with the Six Week Challenge?

I feel like the 6 Week Challenge went pretty well, I got in about 80 hours of study time, bringing my total to 110 hours of Irish studied so far. I also managed to finish off my Spanish courses, so from now on I'll have 2 hours per day to dedicate to Irish, and I've decided not to move on to French until I've gotten 200 hours of Gaeilge logged. I'm not sure how realistic my goal of B2 by the end of 2014 is, but one thing is for sure: I'll be done with Learning Irish!

Oh, and I love the illustrations in Buntús Cainte!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 69
15 December 2013 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I have been working steadily but sparingly on my Irish last year where I was part of the team Lugus, but as Montmorency I don't really have the genuine team spirit, and I have constantly felt it rather strange to member of a team for one target language but not for my other projects. This shan't stop me from commenting in the team thread if I see relevant occasion, and I'll also be writing about my activities with Irish in my own log thread in the future, but I think I'll refrain from being a regular team member in 2014.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 14 of 69
15 December 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
@Iversen
It was great to have you on our team last year, and your comments are always welcome here. I look forward to reading about your continuing journey in Irish as well as other languages next year.

Edited by Teango on 15 December 2013 at 10:05am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 15 of 69
15 December 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
I feel like I should give a short self-introduction, although most of you will already know me.

My name is Christian, I am a 29-year old graduate student from Germany. My interest in the Celtic languages has originally been kindled by Scottish culture, but I eventually fell in love with Irish language and culture. I have always liked Scottish traditional music and I would love to visit Edinburgh, the Highlands, and the Hebrides rather sooner than later, so, in 2010, I started studying Scottish Gaelic with BBC Alba's online course Beag air bheag.

I didn't get very far, but the magic spell of the Celtic languages had struck me. After that, I planned on getting the German textbook Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache in order to study Scottish Gaelic properly, but I never bought it because I thought it was too expensive. By coincidence, I discovered that my university library owned a copy of this book, so I started dabbling in Gaelic again.

When Clan Lugus formed in December 2012, I decided to join and started studying Gaelic seriously. I worked through the book and completed it in September reaching A2. This could have been the beginning of a wonderful language nerd's love story, if... yes, if I hadn't gone to Ireland in May 2013.

I immediately fell in love with the country, its people, music, culture, and language. I bought a copy of Mícheál Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish at Chapters Bookstore in Dublin and soon after my return also purchased Colloquial Irish. Now, this really was the beginning of a wonderful love story, which has up to now only been marred by the lack of good resources.

I worked through Colloquial Irish, but it was more of a phrasebook, so I only reached A1. I tried Learning Irish, but I didn't really like it. I kept on working with it nevertheless, because I didn't find a better alternative. Now, I'm planning to purchase Buntús Cainte and Living Language Irish, which will be released in February 2014. So, I hope I will be able to progress to B1 by the end of 2014.

I utterly enjoyed being on Clan Lugus in 2013 and I hope 2014 will be an even better year for Team Celts. To cite a popular Irish folk song:

Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Edited by Josquin on 15 December 2013 at 2:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 16 of 69
18 December 2013 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I've created a new personal language log for the 2014 TAC and have added a link to this in the opening post of our team thread. Once you've started a new log for next year, just let me know the link, and I'll also add it our list of team members.

Just a couple of weeks to go now...time to dust off those "Buntús Cainte"s or copy of "Learning Irish" and set your homepage to TG4! ;)

Edited by Teango on 18 December 2013 at 1:16am

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version