Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 25 of 69
30 December 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
If ever the team is still open to new members (or to "old" members), I'd like to continue with Breton. My goal will be about the same as for 2013, going through the old Assimil (which in many respects is much more interesting than the new one), and keep with it.

I was planning to do that anyway, but I figured the team was almost Irish-only and a bit of diversity doesn't hurt. Also, the introductory post's mention of "useful projects" attracted me: I'm particularly interested in exploring the idea of building islands, something I've never done before, but that I plan to do for my other TAC languages (Polish/Hungarian). I know I'll never do it in Breton if I'm not part of a team where people do that.

So if possible, I'd like to join. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5338 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 26 of 69
31 December 2013 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
It would be a pleasure to have you on our team again, vermillon! I'll be particularly interested to hear how you get on with the old Breton Assimil, and how this compares with the new edition you completed last year. Degemer mat! :)

Edited by Teango on 31 December 2013 at 8:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sabrina VG
Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 4993 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Dutch, Flemish*, English, German, French
Studies: Swedish, Welsh

Message 27 of 69
31 December 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the very warm welcome, I have the feeling being part of this team is just what I'm going to need to kickstart my Welsh!

And to join in the challenge:

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!
(Happy New Year in Welsh)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 28 of 69
08 February 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Ugh, no activity in the team thread since December! Is this team dead or alive? ;)

I'm not really making any progress with my Irish, but in order to change that I bought the first volume of Gaeilge gan Stró from gaelchultur.com. I hope it will arrive soon.

I also wanted to inform you that at the end of February a new Irish course will be released by Living Language. Might be of interest for the Irish learners amongst us.

How are y'all doing, fellow Celts?

Slán agaibh!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 69
08 February 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
My progress is so-so. I've had a break for a couple of weeks - Modern Irish II ended in mid-January, and Modern Irish III starts on Monday. And in the meantime, I've added Old Irish (which usually keeps me busy during the last day of the week).

I'll write a January summary as soon as possible.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 30 of 69
09 February 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
My progress is so-so. I've had a break for a couple of weeks - Modern Irish II ended in mid-January, and Modern Irish III starts on Monday. And in the meantime, I've added Old Irish (which usually keeps me busy during the last day of the week).

I'll write a January summary as soon as possible.

Let me know how you find Old Irish...I'm falling so in love with the modern language that I've been tempted to take a peek at where it came from.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 31 of 69
09 February 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Ugh, no activity in the team thread since December! Is this team dead or alive? ;)

I'm not really making any progress with my Irish, but in order to change that I bought the first volume of Gaeilge gan Stró from gaelchultur.com. I hope it will arrive soon.

I also wanted to inform you that at the end of February a new Irish course will be released by Living Language. Might be of interest for the Irish learners amongst us.

How are y'all doing, fellow Celts?

Slán agaibh!

Tá mé réasúnta, go raibh maith agat. Ach tá an Ghaeilge deacair. Tar eis ceithre mhí is féidir liom beagán a labhairt. Probably why Irish is classified as a Category II language. I think the problem is there's just so much info to absorb, I'm going to be going through my texts several times before I assimilate everything. It's frustrating because I had a goal of waiting 200 hours before I started a new language. So I waited, and waited, and then started French, and I can honestly say that compared to Irish, French is a breeze. And that is despite the fact that I'm truly passionate about Irish, love the culture, and want to become fluent, whereas French is really nothing more than a useful tool for me. It might have something to do with my Spanish knowledge, but I think that Irish is just so alien in structure and sound to English. I bet the other Celtic languages are the same way. I find myself constantly having to try so hard to translate my thoughts into Irish without making them too "English". The language is so rich in idiom that I don't know if I'll ever start thinking "like a Celt".

A Living Language course for Irish, eh? I've seen the French, Spanish, Chinese, and Italian versions of these new courses at Barnes and Noble. I think I'll pass...if they're anything like the French one I saw reviewed on Amazon, they're way more dumbed down than the old LL courses supposedly were. I heard good things about those courses, although I hate to say I never used one. I'm still keeping my eye open for an Irish Linguaphone course to pop up on eBay.

Slán agaibh!

Edited by Indíritheach on 09 February 2014 at 12:29am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 69
09 February 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Here in 2014 I'm not officially associated with the team Celts, but after a dry spell in January I have returned to Irish, and I have just written a few words about relative and other particles in Irish, based on my somewhat idiosyncratic "Irish Grammar Book" by Nollaig Mac Congáil. My goal is not really to speak the language, but I am getting closer to being able to read texts and formulate sentences that are vaguely recognizable as Irish.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version