Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5650 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 49 of 69
01 May 2014 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
There doesn't seem to be anything in the Welsh section unfortunately (other than a video to learn Japanese?), but i did like the short film someone shared in the Irish section.

Btw, over at Duolingo they've finally added people to the Irish course and progress has started :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5341 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 50 of 69
02 May 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
It's 1st May (or it was just yesterday, depending on where you live) - May Day - which traditionally marks the first day of summer in the ancient Celtic calendar (see also Beltane). Let the sunshine in! ♫♫

Edited by Teango on 02 May 2014 at 2:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4613 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 51 of 69
07 May 2014 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
It's 1st May (or it was just yesterday, depending on where you live) -
May Day
- which traditionally marks the first day of summer in the ancient Celtic calendar (see
also Beltane). Let the sunshine in!
♫♫

Oh that's good, because I spent 1st May (and the whole of that week) in Cymru, on a Say
Something in Welsh "Bootcamp"! - will put a bit more in my log, but it was great fun, and
only one day of rain that I remember, and a lot more sunhine.

Cymru am byth! :-)

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3632 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian, Swedish, Latin
Studies: Russian, Irish, Japanese

Message 52 of 69
16 May 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

it's Josquin! I was forced to create a new account, because the old one was disabled in the course of HTLAL's Crimean crisis, which took place in the team thread of Team Katyusha. As you can see, I'm a total newbie again, but I suppose I'll have to live with that. For further information on what happened, please check my log. Maybe Teango could also change my name in the first post of this thread. Go raibh maith agaibh!

Josquin
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 53 of 69
16 May 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
@Lassus (Josquin)
I'm sorry to hear about your technical problems with the Forum, and I hope someone can fix your profile soon. In the meantime, I've added your new username to the introductory post of this thread (I almost typed Lazarus by mistake at first). Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar do chlár éadain arís!

Edited by Teango on 16 May 2014 at 8:47pm

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3632 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian, Swedish, Latin
Studies: Russian, Irish, Japanese

Message 54 of 69
16 May 2014 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Go raibh maith agat, a chara!

May Josquin resurrect just as Lazarus once (supposedly) did! In the meantime, however, I'll take his place. ;)

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5176 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 55 of 69
04 June 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Cén chaoi a bhfuil sibh?

Just a little update (a wee update?) for June. I'm making slow progress through Gaeilge Gan Stró 2 but it's finally moving along. Just got back from my weekly study group and I'm proud to say that I actually was able to have a somewhat meaningful conversation! And what was really encouraging to me was I was able to use some sentence structures that I've heard in the GGGS dialogues and in Aifric but haven't learned formally yet. That means some good old immersion is working its magic :)

It looks like I'm the sole person so far representing Irish in the Super Challenge. Reading is very slow-going right now and while I definitely can watch Aifric on repeat I *might* start to get sick of it before I reach 150 hours. So I'll be on the lookout for some more resources. @Teango - I'll be checking out your resource list!

To give you guys an idea of where I'm at - tried Harry Potter working with the English text on the side but it's still too complicated for me to get through at this point. An Prionsa Beag works better that way. And we've been reading Is Gearr... by Marion Keyes in my study group which is about right too (though quite a bit of effort is required).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 56 of 69
04 June 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
It's a great feeling when you can use sentences acquired during immersion and watching tv. As a fan of Aifric myself, I'm quite curious which ones you've started using. ;)

I signed up for the original Super Challenge a while back, but it could be a LONG time before I can read 10,000 pages in Irish. This is now especially the case, given that all my lovely language resources are packed up tight in an attic back in England and would sadly cost a prince's fortune to send on to Hawai'i.

I did however sneak a copy of "Úlla" by MacMathúna and an audiobook by Seán Mac Mathúna into my luggage when I moved to the US, so I'm looking forward to using that later.

And speaking of princes, I'd be very interested to hear if there is any audio recording of "An Prionsa Beag" out there in the Internet universe? That would be an amazing resource to find.

Edited by Teango on 04 June 2014 at 8:10pm

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version