United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 319
14 December 2013 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Hola Charles! En que parte de Texas vives? (Soy de Texas, estoy curioso).
1 person has voted this message useful

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3787 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 319
14 December 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Hola Charles! En que parte de Texas vives? (Soy de Texas, estoy curioso).

En Big D:) ¿Y tú?

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 319
14 December 2013 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
No vivo en Texas actualmente pero crecí en Fort Worth.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5156 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 12 of 319
14 December 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I am interested in following and/or participating in this. I must admit, however, that I don't read the posts about TAC so I don't really know what it is all about.

I have been studying Spanish for about four years (usually 30-60 minutes a day) and have tracked my progress in my log here.

I am probably at about B2 in all skills, but I don't feel comfortable writing because I have never practiced it other than informal texting. This year will be my "massive passive" year. I hope to read many books and watch TV programs. I also need to start spending my Spanish time doing things that are more productive to my life (like read books related to my economics hobby that has been neglected for the past four years or books related to running my small business).

One of the big reasons I started Spanish was that I was not intellectually challenged at my job (employee at the small business). As an over achiever, I needed an outlet and a challenge to overcome (just to stay sane while we worked out the transition of ownership). It worked wonders while I essentially "treaded water" at my job. Now I am the owner of the business and really need to focus more on the business than Spanish. The business has struggled horribly over the past several years, but I see bright horizons... as long as I focus on the business. The problem is that I have become addicted to my Spanish habit over the past few years.

In terms of a name, I like the title of this thread, "Spanish Team TAC 2014."

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 319
14 December 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to join! Although I have a general understanding of TAC, I'm not sure about all of the details - do I have to
start a new log?

I started learning Spanish at the end of May 2013 and I'm really happy with my progress so far. I couldn't tell you
what level I'm at in terms of A2, B1, etc - but I'm able to hold an hour-long conversation with a native without
resorting to English, I can listen to the advanced podcasts on Notes in Spanish with full comprehension, and I'm
reading Harry Potter extensively (ie. just reading it for fun).

My goal is functional fluency. In the long term? C1 or equivalent. For 2014? As far as I can get!

I'll be spending six weeks in Spain this spring, walking the Camino de Santiago with my Dad. I'm hoping to get a
lot of practice speaking Spanish! When I come back home (at the end of April), I plan on continuing with Spanish
and also starting with Tagalog (which is my husband's native language).

I look forward to being part of a team!

As for names…well, the first thing that jumped into my mind was "lobo" (wolf), maybe because I taught
elementary school for a decade, and they ALWAYS wanted animal names. Haha!

I recently learned that there are wild wolves in Spain (and Portugal). I had no idea! Unfortunately they're
endangered, due in large part to hunting. But there's something special about wolves - they work together and
yet are known for being individuals with their own personalities. Kind of a cool name for a team of self-directed
language-learners.

I also like "rana" (frog) - brings to mind those brilliantly coloured dart frogs in South America.

Edited by Stelle on 14 December 2013 at 1:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 14 of 319
14 December 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
For those of you who are new to the TAC challenge, I updated the first post to explain a little.

Quote:
What exactly is the TAC, you ask? TAC stands for Total Annihilation Challenge. The idea is to study your target language as much as possible throughout the year. You can see the 2013 TAC thread, and you can check out how it all started back in 2007. Make sure to stop by the 2014 TAC Signup thread and let them know you want to be on the Spanish Team this year. :D

There is certainly something cool about making huge strides in your language learning, but we all know life sometimes throws curve balls at us and our languages studies cannot always be our only priority. Martin Luther King Jr once said "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." So do as much as you can. Keep moving forward, and by the end of the year, you will be surprised by how far you've come. And if you fall down, get back up again. :)

Please start a log for the challenge (or use one that you've already started). Post a link to your log in this thread, so we can keep track of everyone. The great thing about being a team is that we can learn from each other and support each other. Read your teammates logs, comment, help out, encourage, and motivate where you can. After the first few months of the year, most TACers have traditionally fizzled out. Let's stick it out as a team this year and be an inspiration to all the other teams!

We'll try to have monthly challenges. If you have any suggestions for challenges, please post ideas here. If no one has started a challenge for a new month, then you can get the ball rolling if you have an idea. You don't have to participate in challenges, but the more people who do, the more fun it will be!

Edited by Kerrie on 14 December 2013 at 6:55pm

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3787 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English

Message 15 of 319
14 December 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Gracias por haber organizado el equipo y por la información.
¡Muchos saludos!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 16 of 319
14 December 2013 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I was originally going to join Team Iberia, but I've decided to join this team instead for two
reasons:
1) Spanish is really the only Iberian language that interests me at the moment. I didn't
think this would be an issue really, but while reading the start of the Team Iberia thread I
noticed that my brain was trying to parse some of the Portugese as Spanish and I don't
need that confusion right now. In addition, that means that I can follow all the members
logs without following logs for languages I'm not studying.
2) The leader of this team (Kerrie) is also a member of the other team I've already joined
for 2014 (the Korean team).

My Language Log: Click Here

---

General TAC 2014 Goals

More specific goals (in the form of quantifiable targets, where possible) are forthcoming,
but here are my overall general goals for Spanish for TAC 2014.

1) Find my first real "hook" for Spanish. Korean originally hooked me with music then
later hooked me via other routes (like variety TV) as well. As such, even when I'm not
learning Korean actively, I'm still getting constantly exposed to it. I need to find my first
deeply imbedded "hook" for Spanish to keep the language ever-present, even when I'm
too busy or uninterested to actively study it. I've tried to make music a hook for Spanish
as well, but I'm not sure how well that is working yet.
2) Complete my review pass of Pimsleur Spanish 1-3 and continue on through Pimsleur
Spanish 4.
3) Restart and finally complete Assimil Spanish with Ease (even if I have to drop the SRS
part to make sure I keep going this time).
4) Start active use of Spanish fairly early in the challenge period.

Edited by Warp3 on 15 December 2013 at 12:12am

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version