forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 161 of 319
11 January 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
[...] Vivo en Columbia Británica, en Canada, [...] estudio español a la escuela [...] pero solo empecé a estudiar a casa este año. [...] mirar películas, y escuchar la música en español. La única persona con quien puedo practicar mi habla es [...] Tal vez podemos organizar unos reuniones
[...]
Ademas [...] Recientemente no tengo ningún tiempo para hacer [...] hay mucho que hacer a la escuela.
[...] hacer puntuación al revés [...]

[...] Vivo en la Columbia Británica, en Canadá, [...] estudio español en la escuela [...] pero sólo hace un año que empecé a estudiar en casa. [...] ver películas, y escuchar música en español. La única persona con quien puedo practicar el español hablado es [...] Tal vez podamos organizar reuniones (<- This is feminine!)
[...]
Además [...] Últimamente no tengo tiempo de hacer [...] hay mucho que hacer en la escuela.
[...] escribir puntuación invertida [...]
3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 162 of 319
11 January 2014 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
MithradatesG wrote:
[...] Cuando era en la secundaria [...] como investigador de drogas. Infelizmente no me encuentro [...] quizá sea bueno en vista de tenerían problemas con abuso de narcóticos [...]
queremos mudarnos la casa en otro sitio. Buscaremos un lugar [...] donde podremos encontrar empleos más relatados a lo que estudiamos.
[...]
Hace dos semanas que empiezo a estudiar español de nuevo. Hace tres años trabajaba en un restaurante méxicano y hablaba un poco de español en eso tiempo. Pero no he estudiado el español en serio hace nueve años...

Al fines del febrero voy a viajar con la novia al Puerto Rico para disfrutar del calor y la opportunidad de practicar mi español. Eso es mi primera [...]

[...] Cuando estaba en secundaria [...] como investigador de narcóticos. Por desgracia no me encuentro [...] quizá sea bueno en vista de que tendrían problemas por abuso de drogas [...]
queremos mudarnos de casa a otro sitio. Buscaremos un lugar [...] donde podamos encontrar empleos más relacionados con nuestros estudios.
[...]
Hace dos semanas que empecé a estudiar español de nuevo. Hace tres años trabajé en un restaurante méxicano y hablaba un poco de español. Pero no lo he estudiado en serio desde hace nueve años...

A finales de febrero voy a viajar con mi novia a Puerto Rico para disfrutar del calor y la oportunidad de practicar mi español. Ésa es mi primera [...]

Edited by mrwarper on 16 January 2014 at 12:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 163 of 319
11 January 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to LeadZeppelin for suggesting the format change. That definitely makes it much
easier (especially for those who didn't write the original text) to understand what was
corrected!

Thanks for all the corrections, mrwarper. Can I assume my entry was ok due to a lack of
posted corrrections? (Then again, I spent enough time clarifying things at WordReference
before posting, that it wouldn't surprise me if I'd managed to stamp out most, if not all,
of the mistakes in advance. That's actually why I switched back to English fairly early in
the post since I wasn't just generating that Spanish on the fly, but verifying certain
phrasings as I went for anything I wasn't very familiar with already, so it took me a
decent while to post that. It's something I've always tended to do with Korean as well,
though I do that less now than I did originally and mostly just post from my head in
Korean unless I'm really unsure about a phrase.)

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5738 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 164 of 319
11 January 2014 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Wow, you folks are on fire!

Excellent start, very useful suggestion of links and a godfather very generous with his
time and his extremely detailed and helpful language corrections and explanations (and
many thanks mrwarper for advising of my filled inbox!)

This log bears a considerable potential for being a real resource to
the community beyond just your team (so I will continue lurking here and learning!)

Edited by Spanky on 12 January 2014 at 2:45am

MithradatesG
United States
Joined 4057 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French, Armenian, Turkish, Italian

Message 165 of 319
12 January 2014 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
@mrwarper,
Thanks so much! It's very useful to see all these corrections, not just for my own mistakes, but for others' as well since they're mistakes I'd be likely to make!

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 166 of 319
12 January 2014 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
[...] Can I assume my entry was OK due to a lack of posted corrections? [...]

I'd say that lack of corrections was more due to a lack of Spanish in your entry :)

You probably meant to write "sólo" in your entry but a spelling reform affecting that is in the pipeline so I'd prefer to leave any hair-splitting for further down the road, or clarifications on request. I'm curious about this, though:
Warp3 wrote:
Despues he estado estudiando de vez en cuando pero no sin gran éxito.

"Después" should have a tilde on it, but... Not without great success? Congratulations then! ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 12 January 2014 at 2:54pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 167 of 319
12 January 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Point taken. Perhaps it would be better to generate a greater quantity of possibly
incorrect Spanish than such a small amount of heavily refined Spanish.

Hmmm...solo seems to lack an accent on WordReference's dictionary, so perhaps that
word is in a bit of limbo right now. Después I missed the accent mark for, though
honestly I didn't look up either of those words and just typed them from memory (and
since I've mostly heard después in spoken form, I'm not sure it occurred to me that it
had an accent mark, though it in retrospect it would need one to be pronounced the way
it is).

The "no sin" was a side-effect of revising that sentence multiple times (which happens to
me quite often in English as well) then glossing over that part when proofreading it
afterward. The "no" was left over from a different wording and should not have been
there. Oops. :)

Edited by Warp3 on 12 January 2014 at 5:03pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 168 of 319
13 January 2014 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Point taken. Perhaps it would be better to generate a greater quantity of possibly incorrect [...]

If you ask me, everyone should find their own balance between producing stuff that is not completely under control so corrections are possible (and a help to improve), and something that will generate too many of them, thus saturating the learner. This balance must be found both in the quantity and level of the language to be used.

Quote:
[...] though it in retrospect it would need one to be pronounced the way it is).[...]
solo seems to lack an accent on WordReference's dictionary, so perhaps that word is in a bit of limbo

Well, our 'accent' system is highly logical and quite minimalistic, I think, meaning that we'd have more accents with any other set of rules. The problem with "sólo" is, there's no orthographical reason for it to carry one -- it used to appear just to differentiate between solo meaning "alone" and "only", but this is intended to be deprecated by the Royal Academy.

Those who know me know I like illustrating how this can often be non-trivial with the example "practico sexo solo por las mañanas", while it apparently makes no difference for those in the Academy...

Quote:
[...] The "no" was left over from a different wording and should not have been
there. Oops. :)

I was pretty sure it was the very well known Re-typo effect in action: No typos exist in the original wording nor in the brand new one you just thought of when proof-reading, and then you end up writing like a complete idiot. Happens all the time, regardless of language, yes. But you asked for corrections :)

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version