Diglot
Australia
Joined 5326 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 169 of 319
13 January 2014 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Hola Lobos, soy Vos y llevo más o menos 3 años y medio disfrutando del idioma castellano. Como cada uno de
vosotros me encantan las lenguas y se puede encontrarme muy a menudo con la cara en un libro extranjero o
tratando de escribir algo en una de mis lenguas.

Además de idiomas, me encanta viajar a lugares nuevos y vivir algo de la cultura y gente, y mientras allí (sea
donde allí sea) si es posible hacer senderismo, especialmente cuando supone ir por bosques y montañas. Me
chifla también la comida buena, algo para la que estoy dispuesto a pagar un buen puñado (siempre y cuando
esté con amigos buenos) o pasar muchas horas preparando algo, y también me encanta la música y toco las
baterías. Por último estoy estudiando ecología y botánica a la universidad, tanto como algunas asignaturas de
lingüística, y estoy por terminar mi título en Junio.

Durante el último año no he hecho mucho con el castellano aparte de leer, así que este año me voy a esforzar
por escribir mucho más, volver a comenzar con anki, y por lo común volver a hacerlo más una parte de mi vida.

¡Suerte a todos y tengo ganas de lograr mucho con vosotros!
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4782 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 170 of 319
15 January 2014 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
I have just posted my weekly update here. In fact I have more to write, but it is quite a long entry so I will perhaps post another one later on.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Spanish so far?

Edited by dbag on 15 January 2014 at 11:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3752 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 
Studies: French

Message 171 of 319
15 January 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
I just read a thread on this site about the Listening-Reading method of study. That is, you read a text while at the same time listen to it being read. I found this to be a great help. I'm using a Latin American Spanish Bible (Biblia de América) app that I got from this site: http://www.bible.is/apps. The app is available for iPhones, Android phones, and Kindle Fire.

I'm not trying to promote one religion over another, but there are a few advantages to this.
   -- After you install the bible version you want, you only need to run one app. When you pull up the text there is a play button for the audio at the bottom of the screen. No need to run two different programs.
   -- The language of the first three gospels and the book of Acts is fairly straight forward. Most everybody (even a lot of non-believers) already know the story.
   -- This app is FREE. You can download just the audio, as mp3's, from the same site but you will need to purchase the text separately.

This site: http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/language/Spanish also has free Spanish audio books but you will need to download the text separately. You can also purchase Spanish audio books and texts from Amazon.

I hope that this information helps.
Tomás

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 172 of 319
16 January 2014 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Correction round.

Vos wrote:
[...] Como cada uno de vosotros me encantan las lenguas y se puede encontrarme
[...]
Además de idiomas, me encanta viajar [...] y vivir algo de la cultura y gente, y mientras allí (sea donde allí sea)
[...]Me chifla también la comida buena, algo para la que estoy dispuesto a pagar un buen puñado (siempre y cuando esté con amigos buenos) o pasar muchas horas preparando algo, y también me encanta la música y toco las baterías. Por último estoy estudiando ecología y botánica a la universidad, tanto como algunas asignaturas de
lingüística, y estoy por terminar mi título en Junio.
[...]y por lo común volver a hacerlo más una parte de mi vida.

[...] Como a todos vosotros[,] me encantan los idiomass y se me puede encontrar
[...]
Además de los idiomas, me encanta viajar [...] y vivir algo de la cultura y [conocer?] gente, y mientras esté allí (sea [«allí»] donde sea)
[...]Me chifla también la buena comida, algo por lo que estoy dispuesto a pagar un buen puñado [¿de qué?] (siempre y cuando esté con buenos amigos) o pasar muchas horas cocinando. También me encanta la música y toco la batería. Por último, estoy estudiando ecología y botánica en la universidad, así como algunas asignaturas de
lingüística, y quiero terminar mi títulación en junio.
[...]y, en general, volver a hacerlo más una parte de mi vida.

In general, Spanish adjectives follow nouns, but sometimes you want to use epithets, i.e. preceding adjectives that imply they're not really specifying a quality of some of the objects referred to by the noun. Above, you don't want to use "good" to specify like you'd do in English by saying "I like food that is good" or "friends that are good" -- does anybody want food or friends that are bad? What an odd thing to say. Hence "buenos amigos / buena comida".

Edited by mrwarper on 16 January 2014 at 7:48pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4188 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 173 of 319
17 January 2014 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Hola dbag, I read your log update and noticed your earlier mention of the series "filosofia aqui y ahora". I looked it
up and watched the first capitulo. ¡Excelente! I definitely recommend this series. You can read more about it in
my log
update
(note: my log hasn't been added to the first page of this thread yet)

As it's from Argentina, the guy speaks with an accent that's new to me. At times if I pay less attention to the words
and focus more on stress and intonation, it almost sounds like it's Italian... weird. Anyways, I really love the series
and all the ways I can benefit from it. It made me realize that watching videos and listening to podcasts will be more
useful than I thought! Does anyone have any interesting series to recommend? Are there ted talks in Spanish?

Also tomgosse - that app does look pretty useful. I've downloaded it, but have yet to sync it to my phone. Hopefully
i'll get a chance to try it tonight!

And thanks again for the corrections padrino, we all appreciate it greatly!

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3766 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 174 of 319
17 January 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
.........Are there ted talks in Spanish? ...........

Yes, there are:) Here's the link
5 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 175 of 319
17 January 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
@Emily I'm here to help :)

Emily96 wrote:
[...]As it's from Argentina, the guy speaks with an accent that's new to me [...] it almost sounds like it's Italian... weird.

Not really ;)

I'd elaborate on this myself, but I think Wikipedia is about right regarding this:

[...] It is estimated up to 24 million Argentines have some degree of Italian descent (up to 60% of the total population).[1] Italians began arriving in Argentina in great numbers from 1857 to 1940, totaling 44.9% of the entire immigrant population; more than from any other country (including Spain at 31.5%), and this migratory flow continued to the early 1950s, with Italy also having the most emigrants to Argentina for the decades 1980–2000. [...]

Edited by mrwarper on 17 January 2014 at 8:56pm

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3752 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 
Studies: French

Message 176 of 319
18 January 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
¡Hola amigos! I've just updated my logbook here:   
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37763&PN=1&TPN=2

I hope this link works. I just copy and paste the http address from my web browser into this text. I don't see any other way to insert a link. Sometimes when I see a link such as this in other people's posts it doesn't work.

Hope everyone is doing well in their studies.

Tomás

Edited by tomgosse on 18 January 2014 at 7:32pm

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version