Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4966 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 319
15 December 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I'll join! I'm planning to study Spanish next year, and I don't currently have any interest in Portuguese etc. so this team probably fits me better than Iberia.

I've never studied Spanish before. However, I live in a city full of Spanish speakers and so I've had a lot of Spanish friends over the years; between that and my study of French and Italian, I've managed to pick up quite a decent passive knowledge and I can say some sentences, although there's still a lot of very basic stuff I don't actively know. So obviously I'm currently a beginner, but I hope to activate all that passive knowledge and reach an intermediate/conversational level fairly quickly. My plan is to work through Michel Thomas and then Assimil's Lo Spagnolo (Spanish for Italian speakers), and of course take advantage of all these speaking opportunities and enjoy the wealth of Spanish-language films and TV and books.

Edited by garyb on 15 December 2013 at 2:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 18 of 319
15 December 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2014 Spanish Goals: Detailed

Some of these goals are actually a bit lower than I've done in the past, but that is mostly
to ensure I can consistently meet them given that I'm doing the TAC for two languages
this year. I don't want to end up with Korean goals so lofty that they stamp out any
chance of meeting the Spanish goals (or vice-versa).

1) Find my first real "hook" for Spanish.

Korean originally hooked me with music then later hooked me via other routes (like
variety TV) as well. As such, even when I'm not learning Korean actively, I'm still getting
constantly exposed to it. I need to find my first deeply embedded "hook" for Spanish to
keep the language ever-present, even when I'm too busy or uninterested to actively study
it. I've tried to make music a hook for Spanish as well, but I'm not sure how well that is
working yet.

2) Complete my review pass of Pimsleur Spanish 1-3 then purchase and complete
Pimsleur Spanish 4.

This one is pretty self-explanatory.

3) Restart and finally complete Assimil Spanish with Ease (even if I have to drop the SRS
part to make sure I keep going this time).

This one is pretty self-explanatory as well. I would love to get the SRS data entry done
rather than dropping it, but if the choice is between finishing Assimil and burning out, I'll
take the former option.

4) Start and complete Destinos

I've heard enough about this series, that it is worth trying it out.

5) Start active use of Spanish fairly early in the challenge period.

No specific requirements on this one, just start actively using the language rather than
making this an input-only year.

Hmm...my specific Spanish goals look a lot like my general Spanish goals don't they
(*copy* *paste* *lightly tweak*). After re-reading them, I realized that the parts that
can be easily quantified already have that information. Goal #1 (finding a hook) is my
*real* goal for Spanish this year. If I can do that, much of the rest should start to
automatically fall into place like it did with Korean. Finishing Assimil Spanish With Ease
is my secondary goal, but not reaching goal #1 could easily sink that plan again.

LeadZeppelin
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4780 days ago

59 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 19 of 319
16 December 2013 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Cool, I didn't think there was going to be a dedicated Spanish team! I'll definitely join this. I've been studying for
almost three months now. I'm probably A1. I'm going to focus only on Spanish for 2014 and hope to be around B2
at the end.

This is my log. And this is a Google doc that gives a really quick view of everything that I study
on a day-to-day basis since I started learning Spanish. I hiiiighly recommend any of you to do something like this. It
helps keep me motivated, on track, and gives me a wonderful and concise historical view of what it's taken me to
learn this language.

Also, I like Stelle's idea to be team lobo. It's short, rolls off the tongue, and I like the idea of the pack that hunts
together. :)

Let's do it, team! Get psyched for 2014!

Edited by LeadZeppelin on 16 December 2013 at 2:52am

2 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4448 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 20 of 319
16 December 2013 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Hey everybody. My Spanish TAC 2014 log is up and running. Here (page 3, message #24)

I also like the name Team Lobo.

Edited by BaronBill on 16 December 2013 at 3:44am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 21 of 319
16 December 2013 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
LeadZeppelin wrote:
Also, I like Stelle's idea to be team lobo. It's short, rolls off the
tongue, and I like the idea of the pack that hunts together. :)

I missed that suggestion when I was reading the thread previously, but paired with your
reason given here I kinda like that suggestion as well.

Of course that also means that if both this suggestion sticks and the Gumiho suggestion for
the Korean team sticks, I'll be on a wolf team and a fox team this year...hehe
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 22 of 319
16 December 2013 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I like lobo too. :)

I just want to let everyone know that I probably won't update with log links and such until next weekend. My week days are super busy (12 hour days, hour long commute, children, homework, dinner, yadda yadda). I may not get back here every day during the week, but I promise I will be back over the weekend. :D

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 23 of 319
17 December 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I made a log here:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37549&PN=1&TPN=1

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version