Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 233 of 319
03 March 2014 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Corrections.
Crush wrote:
¿Porqué [...] de qué se tratará la revista.

¿Por qué [...] de qué tratará la revista.

Sorry everyone if I've missed something else lately, I've been lagging behind for a while.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 234 of 319
03 March 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
¿[Les] parece una buena idea o no?

I knew that "Se parece" didn't sound quite right for addressing multiple people, but I just
couldn't seem to come up with a version that sounded better at the time so I went with
it. Thanks. :)

Quote:
INow, are you just good or just shy? I'm still not sure if you write so little to avoid
making mistakes or if you don't really feel like writing more. For the same reason I'm not
sure if I should give you my congratulations, or keep waiting ;)

Honestly, it's mostly because it takes a while to generate that much so I usually get
tired/bored before that point and just switch back into English. I think the more I post,
though, the less I have to constantly look up everything since I can usually remember the
phrasings that I've used previously. As a bit of a false beginner (though I've studied it
enough over the years that my learning is accelerating much more quickly than I expected
this time around), I frequently find myself trying to generate something in Spanish but
then realize I simply don't know how to state that concept in Spanish yet. So rather than
just taking a stab based on English phrasing (which is often quite wrong), I usually do
some searching on WordReference first to try to find how that type of concept is worded
in Spanish. This doesn't make for very fast Spanish production, but I feel it is better
than getting in the bad habit of generating a lot of incorrect Spanish.

Quote:
OK, going into real nitpicking mode so I can say something else... unless you're
watching Buffy in some American variant of Spanish, it's just "Buffy cazavampiros"
(without "la").

I actually got that from two places.

1) The Spanish site I found which has information about this show is called that:
http://buffy-lacazavampiros.blogspot.com/

2) On the videos I'm watching, the voiceover during the title screen (when "Buffy The
Vampire Slayer" appears on screen during the intro) says the phrase "Buffy la
casavampiros" quite clearly. That said, the alternate version I found for season 1 disc 1
(which I'm pretty sure was continental Spanish) has no voiceover at all during the intro,
so perhaps the series is named differently in different regions. I know the ones I'm
watching aren't from US region DVDs as the US version only had English and French for
seasons 1 and 2 (Spanish didn't show up until season 3 on the US DVDs), so I'm
assuming they are from somewhere in Latin America (as it sounds like Latin American
Spanish).

Quote:
End of round again. Good job :)

Muchas gracias. :)

Edited by Warp3 on 03 March 2014 at 4:41am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 235 of 319
03 March 2014 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Tenía dudas sobre si poner o no ese "se", al final hice algunas búsquedas en Google y vi varios resultados como "de qué se trata la película/el libro/etc." y lo dejé. Gracias de nuevo, mrwarper :)

En cuanto a Buffy, Wikipedia dice:
Quote:
(Buffy, la cazavampiros en Hispanoamérica, Buffy, cazavampiros en España)

Yo siempre había oído la primera versión, pero tampoco he visto nunca la serie así que tendré que fiarme de lo que dice Wikipedia.

Y Warp3, me sorprendió un montón leer que acababas de comprar Pimsleur IV. Escribes muy bien, ¿no te será demasiado fácil? O ¿es que Pimsleur de repente se ha puesto las pilas y está produciendo cursos de primera? ¡Deberías escribir más en castellano!

"Se parece" se usa para decir que una persona o una cosa "se parece" (es parecida) a otra. Por ejemplo, "Tu tío se parece mucho a mi padre" o, para prepararte para People en español, "Shakira y yo nos parecemos mucho".

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 236 of 319
03 March 2014 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
The reason I bought Pimsleur IV is that I began my reintroduction to Spanish by doing a
review pass of Pimsleur (then later added Destinos in parallel). Since Pimsleur IV was not
yet available last time I was studying Spanish I did not yet own it. Pimsleur I was almost
entirely simple review to me, but the farther I got into Pimsleur II and Pimsleur III the more
concepts I found myself relearning (some of which I only barely recall learning previously
since it had been a couple years since I dropped Spanish last time), so I'm definitely still
actively learning from this series. In addition, Pimsleur helps me with speaking production,
which requires a much faster thought process compared to the slow speed with which I write
my Spanish posts here. In other words, most of the things I learn in Pimsleur aren't nearly
as complex as what I write in Spanish, but I can produce those phrases and constructions
in real-time, which is most definitely not the case for most of my writing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 237 of 319
04 March 2014 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
PointsDotsLines wrote:
Personally I prefer speaking to total strangers. For some
reason, I feel less *awkward* than speaking with someone I know (I don't know why...;-)

I feel the same way! I think part of it is that I know my friends speak English, so it
feels more awkward to switch to a language that I struggle with.

And ... I've been lurking, and will still follow you guys, but I don't think I'm going to
be doing much Spanish this year. Blame it on Italian.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4403 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 238 of 319
04 March 2014 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Just for fun, here's a short article about the winner of the Oscar for best director, Alfonso Cuarón, which includes
the Spanish language trailer for "Gravity".

Perfil de Alfonso Cuarón

Some film-related vocabulary:

cineasta -filmmaker
guión-screenplay
largometraje-feature length film
cortometraje-short
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 239 of 319
07 March 2014 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I started Pimsleur Spanish IV this week and had to comment on the voice actors they
used. The English narrator and Spanish male speaker are the same as they have used
for previous lessons. The Spanish female speaker is new and has a pronunciation quirk
that still throws me somewhat: the "d" in "del" seems to disappear when she says
phrases like "hablarémos del proyecto". You can hear it when they introduce the phrase
and she is saying each part slowly and you can hear it when the male speaker or Spanish
narrator says it regardless of speed, but when she says it at normal speed it turns into
"hablarémos el proyecto" to my ears. Oddly when they switch it up to "hablarémos del
progreso del proyecto" later on the second "del" is perfectly audible and the "d" only
seems to vanish from the first one.

The other voice change is the Spanish narrator. I didn't notice anything odd about his
voice at first, just that it was a different person, but then it suddenly hit me: he sounds
almost exactly like the soft-spoken, elderly-voiced narrator from the "Winnie the Pooh"
cartoon series (or like that narrator would sound were he speaking Spanish, anyway).
Now that I've made this connection, it makes his dialog more humorous to me than it
probably should be.

----

On a different topic, any thoughts on a March challenge for Team Lobo?

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4803 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 240 of 319
14 March 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
@warp 3

If you like Pimsleur so much, you will definitely want to get your hands on "Learning Spanish like Crazy". It is basically Pimsleur on steroids. More vocab right from the start, more grammar covered etc. I am sure you will love it.

And if you really like this type of program, eventually you may want to bite the bullet and tackle FSI BASIC/ Platiquemos. Nothing will challenge you more, or push your Spanish further than that course.

As an aside, what has happened to this thread? No one has posted here in about a week. Who is still with us?

Edited by dbag on 14 March 2014 at 11:28am

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version